* How can I autorun M-x linum-mode when file is opened?
@ 2014-08-10 16:46 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-08-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

How can I have a command auto-run when a file is opened from 'desktop
recovery' please? I want to auto-run "M-x linum-mode" when I open my
daily journal, which stays open all the time. Running that command will
switch off linum-mode for that file, which may stop "file-rot" that I
have observed in the past. This can, at present, only be resolved by
shutting down emacs for half an hour or so, and then restarting it,
and normal functionality will have been restored.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How can I autorun M-x linum-mode when file is opened?
@ 2014-08-10 17:11 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-08-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

Aloha Sharon,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> How can I have a command auto-run when a file is opened from 'desktop
> recovery' please? I want to auto-run "M-x linum-mode" when I open my
> daily journal, which stays open all the time. Running that command will
> switch off linum-mode for that file, which may stop "file-rot" that I
> have observed in the past. This can, at present, only be resolved by
> shutting down emacs for half an hour or so, and then restarting it,
> and normal functionality will have been restored.

Is this a question about Org mode?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: How can I autorun M-x linum-mode when file is opened?
@ 2014-08-10 17:55   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-08-10 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: org-mode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Sharon,
>
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> How can I have a command auto-run when a file is opened from 'desktop
>> recovery' please? I want to auto-run "M-x linum-mode" when I open my
>> daily journal, which stays open all the time. Running that command will
>> switch off linum-mode for that file, which may stop "file-rot" that I
>> have observed in the past. This can, at present, only be resolved by
>> shutting down emacs for half an hour or so, and then restarting it,
>> and normal functionality will have been restored.
>
> Is this a question about Org mode?

Yes, the journal is written in org-mode, and its one big file of daily
observations, and its a big problem for me.

@ 2014-08-10 18:07     ` Samuel W Flint
From: Samuel W Flint @ 2014-08-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

On 10 Aug 2014, Sharon Kimble wrote:
[Edited for the sake of brevity]

>>> How can I have a command auto-run when a file is opened from
>>> 'desktop recovery' please? I want to auto-run "M-x linum-mode" when
>>> I open my daily journal, which stays open all the time. Running that
>>> command will switch off linum-mode for that file, which may stop
>>> "file-rot" that I have observed in the past. This can, at present,
>>> only be resolved by shutting down emacs for half an hour or so, and
>>> then restarting it, and normal functionality will have been
>>> restored.

Have you considered using a hook?  That is what they are for, and
generally, I’ve found that linum mode in an org file can be annoying, so
in my init file I have =(add-hook ‘org-mode-hook #’(lambda ()
(linum-mode -1)))=, and, while I have Linum on globally, this disables
it for all org mode files.

Sam

--
Samuel W. Flint
swflint@flintfam.org                  (402) 517-8468      <XMPP>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 818 bytes --]

* Re: How can I autorun M-x linum-mode when file is opened?
@ 2014-08-11  7:12       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-11  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 01:07:36PM -0500, Samuel W Flint wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2014, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> [Edited for the sake of brevity]

> Have you considered using a hook?  That is what they are for, and
> generally, I’ve found that linum mode in an org file can be annoying, so
> in my init file I have =(add-hook ‘org-mode-hook #’(lambda ()
> (linum-mode -1)))=, and, while I have Linum on globally, this disables
> it for all org mode files.

FWIW, if anyone is curious, the following post gives some insight into
why that might be.

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/70356/match=linum+mode+eli+display>

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: How can I autorun M-x linum-mode when file is opened?
@ 2014-08-11  9:40       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-08-11  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel W Flint; +Cc: org-mode