* [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-09 16:16 Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-04-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

I use drawers a lot, some of which are set up by hooks when I'm entering headlines (most notably TODO keywords)
Given the new syntax that requires no text between drawers & headlines (if I'm recalling that correctly), I think it would be very usefull to have either [ENTER] (bound to org-return)(C-Alt ENTER is an alternate keybinding possibility) move point to start of line FOLLOWING any drawers, DEADLINE, or SCHEDULE lines, like this:

,** TODO this is a new headline[ENTER]
,<point is now here, potentially breaking syntax>
,:PROPERTIES:
,:MyProps: value
,:END:

,** TODO this is a new headline[ENTER]
,<point is now here, potentially breaking syntax>
,:PROPERTIES:
,:MyProps: value
,:END:
,<point should may be here, maintaining syntax>

Complication:
,** TODO this is a new headline[ENTER]
,:PROPERTIES:
,:MyProps: value
,:END:
,Is this text allowed here under new drawers syntax?
,:TIMELOGS:
,  CLOCK: [2015-04-08 Wed 08:05]--[2015-04-08 Wed 09:18] =>  1:13
,:END:
,<point should may be here, maintaining syntax>

In above scenario, if drawers are allowed to be separated by text, [ENTER] should move point to following first drawer

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-09 16:21 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-04-09 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

On 2015-04-09, at 18:16, Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> wrote:

+1

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-10 16:19 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-04-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

Hello,

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> writes:

> I use drawers a lot, some of which are set up by hooks when I'm entering headlines (most notably TODO keywords)
> Given the new syntax that requires no text between drawers & headlines
> (if I'm recalling that correctly),

For correctness, it only affects properties drawers.

> I think it would be very usefull to
> have either [ENTER] (bound to org-return)(C-Alt ENTER is an alternate
> keybinding possibility) move point to start of line FOLLOWING any
> drawers, DEADLINE, or SCHEDULE lines, like this:

There is already a function for that : `org-end-of-meta-data'. The
problem is the binding.

I don't think it should be the default for RET, but we could introduce
a variable, e.g., `org-special-RET', much like, e.g.,
`org-special-ctrl-a/e'.

However, there's already `org-return-follows-link'. It might be
confusing to keep both, so we could try to merge these features.

Another option is to define a new speed command, but there are not much
bindings left (at least "x", "y", "z" and special characters, e.g. ".").

Eventually, we could introduce a `org-return-hook' where an user could
add, e.g.,

  (lambda () (when (org-at-heading-p) (org-end-of-meta-data) (insert
  "\n")))

Opinions?

> Complication:
> ,** TODO this is a new headline[ENTER]
> ,:PROPERTIES:
> ,:MyProps: value
> ,:END:
> ,Is this text allowed here under new drawers syntax?

Yes.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-10 22:06   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Eventually, we could introduce a `org-return-hook' where an user could
> add, e.g.,
>
>   (lambda () (when (org-at-heading-p) (org-end-of-meta-data) (insert
>   "\n")))
>
> Opinions?

+1.

I'd also like a hook on C-RET.

--
Not everything that goes around comes back around, you know

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-12 20:32     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-04-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> Eventually, we could introduce a `org-return-hook' where an user could
>> add, e.g.,
>>
>>   (lambda () (when (org-at-heading-p) (org-end-of-meta-data) (insert
>>   "\n")))
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> +1.
>
> I'd also like a hook on C-RET.

Actually, a hook isn't even needed if you use `advice-add'.

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-12 20:51       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Eventually, we could introduce a `org-return-hook' where an user could
>>> add, e.g.,
>>>
>>>   (lambda () (when (org-at-heading-p) (org-end-of-meta-data) (insert
>>>   "\n")))
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I'd also like a hook on C-RET.
>
> Actually, a hook isn't even needed if you use `advice-add'.

There's also org-metareturn-hook.

I had a patch a while ago adding support for M-RET on keywords.  This
could be pushed together with a documentation on how to use it with
add-function (is nadvice.el too new for us to assume when writing
documentation?) or the mentioned hook.

—Rasmus

--
However beautiful the theory, you should occasionally look at the evidence

* Re: [Feature Request] [ENTER] or [C-Alt ENTER] while on headline skip over drawers automatically
@ 2015-04-12 22:15         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-04-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> I had a patch a while ago adding support for M-RET on keywords.  This
> could be pushed together with a documentation on how to use it with
> add-function (is nadvice.el too new for us to assume when writing
> documentation?) or the mentioned hook.

We still have to think about how to dispatch commands between M-RET and
C-RET.