* agenda bug
@ 2011-04-19 22:36 Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2011-04-19 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I get a strange error message when trying to view the agenda for the current
day/week with C-c a a :

org-agenda-highlight-todo: Args out of range: #("  diary:      " 0 14
(org-category "diary" tags nil org-highest-priority 65 org-lowest-priority
67 time-of-day nil ...)), 26, 30

I can make it go away by deleting the following from the end of one of my
agenda files, or changing the date + or - one day.

** <2011-04-19 Tue>

Why would this break the agenda view?

Nik

* Re: agenda bug
@ 2011-04-19 22:47 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-04-19 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Emacs-orgmode

Nicholas Putnam <nputnam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get a strange error message when trying to view the agenda for the
> current day/week with C-c a a :
>
> org-agenda-highlight-todo: Args out of range: #("  diary:      " 0 14
> (org-category "diary" tags nil org-highest-priority 65
> org-lowest-priority 67 time-of-day nil ...)), 26, 30
>
> I can make it go away by deleting the following from the end of one of
> my agenda files, or changing the date + or - one day.
>
> ** <2011-04-19 Tue>
>
> Why would this break the agenda view?

Who knows? A backtrace would help however: M-x toggle-debug-on-error and
trigger the error again.

Nick

PS. I sound like a broken record :-)

* Re: agenda bug
@ 2011-04-20  0:15 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-04-20  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Nicholas Putnam <nputnam@gmail.com> writes:

> I get a strange error message when trying to view the agenda for the
> current day/week with C-c a a :
>
> org-agenda-highlight-todo: Args out of range: #("  diary:      " 0 14
> (org-category "diary" tags nil org-highest-priority 65
> org-lowest-priority 67 time-of-day nil ...)), 26, 30
>
> I can make it go away by deleting the following from the end of one of
> my agenda files, or changing the date + or - one day.
>
> ** <2011-04-19 Tue>
>
> Why would this break the agenda view?

It would be nice to have some more informations.

Is this exactly the line you have in your agenda?
Version orgmode, emacs etc.?
Does the same happen when the item is not at the end of that agenda
file, but say somewhere in the middle?

See: http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html or
     (info "(org)Feedback") <--- `C-x C-e' here

* Agenda bug
@ 2018-03-06 16:23 Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2018-03-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

I discovered that the lines ( the body of a headline):
*** real headline
       * example
       :SCHEDULED: <times>

cause agenda processing to fail.  It tries to parse <times> as a
timestamp.  The parser used by agenda appears not to enforce the
requirement that headlines begin with asterisks on the left margin.

Removing either the leading colon or the asterisk on example fixes the
problem.

Regular display parsing does not get confused.  The highlighting and
font changes do not consider the "   * example" to be a headline.

--
Robert Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Re: Agenda bug
@ 2018-03-06 17:28 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-03-06 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Tuesday,  6 Mar 2018 at 11:23, Robert Horn wrote:
> I discovered that the lines ( the body of a headline):
> *** real headline
>        * example
>        :SCHEDULED: <times>
>
> cause agenda processing to fail.  It tries to parse <times> as a
> timestamp.  The parser used by agenda appears not to enforce the
> requirement that headlines begin with asterisks on the left margin.

I think the issue is that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE entries must appear
immediately after the headline.  You have a line (* example) in between
the SCHEDULED line and the headline.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.6-191-g90607d

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Agenda bug
@ 2018-03-06 20:23   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2018-03-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode List

Eric S Fraga writes:

> On Tuesday,  6 Mar 2018 at 11:23, Robert Horn wrote:
>> I discovered that the lines ( the body of a headline):
>> *** real headline
>>        * example
>>        :SCHEDULED: <times>
>>
>> cause agenda processing to fail.  It tries to parse <times> as a
>> timestamp.  The parser used by agenda appears not to enforce the
>> requirement that headlines begin with asterisks on the left margin.
>
> I think the issue is that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE entries must appear
> immediately after the headline.  You have a line (* example) in between
> the SCHEDULED line and the headline.

You have characterized the bug.  That ":SCHEDULED:" should not have been
considered a SCHEDULED entry.  It should have been ignored, based on the
description for org format in the manual.

I was putting together an example for someone and was composing a full
example of an org file.  I just stumbled across this when trying various
forms of verbatim, code, and other blocks.  I was not expecting the
agenda display and processing to completely fail.

I created my example by eliminating one of the colons and explaining
that in a real org file you would need the colon.  But that
leaves the bug that this particular error causes agenda creation to
fail.  I was expecting the parser to treat the SCHEDULED line as just
more body text, and ignore it.

--
Robert Horn
rjhorniii@gmail.com

* Re: Agenda bug
@ 2018-03-11 22:13 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-03-11 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I discovered that the lines ( the body of a headline):
> *** real headline
>        * example
>        :SCHEDULED: <times>
>
> cause agenda processing to fail.

Could you provide an ECM? I tried to set `org-agenda-files' to a file
containing the three lines above, and launched an agenda view, without
error. So, what are the steps required to exhibit a failure?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Agenda bug
@ 2018-03-14 13:14   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2018-03-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Could you provide an ECM? I tried to set `org-agenda-files' to a file
> containing the three lines above, and launched an agenda view, without
> error. So, what are the steps required to exhibit a failure?

Apologies.  It's an org version problem on my end.  There is no error with org
9.1.  Somehow that machine was never upgraded or got restored to an old
version.  It was still on 8.2.

--
Robert Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu