* "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
@ 2020-05-10 15:09 Dauer, Michael
From: Dauer, Michael @ 2020-05-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What are the "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
good for? I just find them ugly and irritating. See the simple example
below:

#+BEGIN: columnview :indent t :id local
| ITEM          | a |
|---------------+---|
| column view   | 7 |
| \_  item1     | 3 |
| \_    item1.1 | 3 |
| \_  item2     | 4 |
#+END

And is there a way to omit the root of the branch ("column view" in this
case)?

thx

* Re: "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
@ 2020-05-10 15:33 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-10 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dauer, Michael; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Dauer, Michael" <michael.dauer@smartpm.com> writes:

> What are the "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
> good for?

Those are entities, like, e.g., \alpha. They have two effects.

1. They allow indenting the cell in the buffer. Text columns are left
   aligned otherwise.

2. They preserve indentation upon export.

> I just find them ugly and irritating.

Sorry about that. Note it is our best idea to solve both problems so
far. It you have something better, please tell us!

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
@ 2020-05-10 15:45   ` Dauer, Michael
From: Dauer, Michael @ 2020-05-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, understood.

It would be nice to have to have an option to just use other indentation
characters like "." for ASCII or special blanks for other encoding.

And what about the second question? I'm looking for something like a
minlevel argument.

@ 2020-05-11 17:55     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dauer, Michael; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Dauer, Michael" <michael.dauer@smartpm.com> writes:

> It would be nice to have to have an option to just use other indentation
> characters like "." for ASCII or special blanks for other encoding.

Do you mean in the Org document? That would break export.

> And what about the second question? I'm looking for something like a
> minlevel argument.

I didn't answer it, so I probably do not have a clue :)

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "\_" sequences in indented lines of column view dynamic blocks
@ 2020-05-18 15:35       ` Dauer, Michael
From: Dauer, Michael @ 2020-05-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Why would the following break the export?
#+BEGIN: columnview :indent t :id local
| ITEM        | a |
|-------------+---|
| column view | 7 |
| ··item1     | 3 |
| ····item1.1 | 3 |
| ··item2     | 4 |
#+END

U+2063 would be invisible. And the ASCII export could just substitute it
with Blank.

@ 2020-05-18 15:53         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dauer, Michael; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Dauer, Michael" <michael.dauer@smartpm.com> writes:

> Why would the following break the export?

I never said the following would break export. I said your initial
proposal would, i.e. using ".". You changed it meanwhile.

> #+BEGIN: columnview :indent t :id local
> | ITEM        | a |
> |-------------+---|
> | column view | 7 |
> | ··item1     | 3 |
> | ····item1.1 | 3 |
> | ··item2     | 4 |
> #+END
>
> U+2063 would be invisible. And the ASCII export could just substitute it
> with Blank.

As a rule of thumb, Org doesn't use non-ASCII characters for its syntax.
This would break this rule.

Nicolas Goaziou