emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
@ 2020-07-27  4:27 numbchild
  2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: numbchild @ 2020-07-27  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1006 bytes --]

I try to add an idle timer to auto refresh org agenda views.

Here is what I code:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;;; auto refresh `*Org Agenda*' buffer
(defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh ()
  "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
  (org-agenda-redo-all t))

(run-with-idle-timer (* 60 20) t #'my/org-agenda-auto-refresh)
#+end_src

But I got error:

#+begin_example
Error running timer ‘my/org-agenda-auto-refresh’: (error "‘recenter’ing a
window that does not display current-buffer.")
#+end_example

I dive into source code of ~org-agenda-redo~ function.
Found this error is caused by ~(recenter window-line)~.

I'm thinking what about to separate this code out? So function
~org-agenda-redo~ can be used to non-interactive usage?

[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2500 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
  2020-07-27  4:27 [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo numbchild
@ 2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
  2020-07-28  1:07   ` [Help needed] " numbchild
  2020-07-28 20:21 ` Marco Wahl
  2020-09-04 15:49 ` Bastien
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Marco Wahl @ 2020-07-27  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: Org-mode

"numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I dive into source code of ~org-agenda-redo~ function.
> Found this error is caused by ~(recenter window-line)~.
>
> I'm thinking what about to separate this code out? So function
> ~org-agenda-redo~ can be used to non-interactive usage?

My gut feeling says this is a good idea.

Do you have a concrete implementation yet?


Best regards,
-- 
Marco



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* [Help needed] Re: [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
  2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
@ 2020-07-28  1:07   ` numbchild
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: numbchild @ 2020-07-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: Org-mode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1021 bytes --]

The `recenter` is useful for keeping position. I checked docstring of
`recenter`, have no clue how to implement a better solution. I also thinked
about ways like `with-current-buffer` etc. But can get around the
`recenter`.

Does anybody have any idea?

[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/


On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:46 PM Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> "numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I dive into source code of ~org-agenda-redo~ function.
> > Found this error is caused by ~(recenter window-line)~.
> >
> > I'm thinking what about to separate this code out? So function
> > ~org-agenda-redo~ can be used to non-interactive usage?
>
> My gut feeling says this is a good idea.
>
> Do you have a concrete implementation yet?
>
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Marco
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2125 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
  2020-07-27  4:27 [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo numbchild
  2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
@ 2020-07-28 20:21 ` Marco Wahl
  2020-07-30 13:02   ` [SOLVED] " numbchild
  2020-09-04 15:49 ` Bastien
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Marco Wahl @ 2020-07-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: Org-mode

"numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> I try to add an idle timer to auto refresh org agenda views.
>
> Here is what I code:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> ;;; auto refresh `*Org Agenda*' buffer
> (defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh ()
>   "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
>   (org-agenda-redo-all t))
>
> (run-with-idle-timer (* 60 20) t #'my/org-agenda-auto-refresh)
> #+end_src
>
>
> But I got error:
>
> #+begin_example
> Error running timer ‘my/org-agenda-auto-refresh’: (error "‘recenter’ing a
> window that does not display current-buffer.")
> #+end_example

Coming back to your original issue. Possibly it's enough to just
suppress the error.

You could change the function to

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

(defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh-1 ()
  "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
  (ignore-errors (org-agenda-redo-all t)))

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---


HTH,
-- 
Marco


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* [SOLVED] Re: [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
  2020-07-28 20:21 ` Marco Wahl
@ 2020-07-30 13:02   ` numbchild
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: numbchild @ 2020-07-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: Org-mode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1464 bytes --]

This is very useful, thanks Marco.


[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/


On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 4:21 AM Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> "numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I try to add an idle timer to auto refresh org agenda views.
> >
> > Here is what I code:
> >
> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> > ;;; auto refresh `*Org Agenda*' buffer
> > (defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh ()
> >   "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
> >   (org-agenda-redo-all t))
> >
> > (run-with-idle-timer (* 60 20) t #'my/org-agenda-auto-refresh)
> > #+end_src
> >
> >
> > But I got error:
> >
> > #+begin_example
> > Error running timer ‘my/org-agenda-auto-refresh’: (error "‘recenter’ing a
> > window that does not display current-buffer.")
> > #+end_example
>
> Coming back to your original issue. Possibly it's enough to just
> suppress the error.
>
> You could change the function to
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>
> (defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh-1 ()
>   "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
>   (ignore-errors (org-agenda-redo-all t)))
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>
> HTH,
> --
> Marco
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2605 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo
  2020-07-27  4:27 [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo numbchild
  2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
  2020-07-28 20:21 ` Marco Wahl
@ 2020-09-04 15:49 ` Bastien
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi,

"numbchild@gmail.com" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> I try to add an idle timer to auto refresh org agenda views.
>
> Here is what I code:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> ;;; auto refresh `*Org Agenda*' buffer
> (defun my/org-agenda-auto-refresh ()
>   "Rebuild all agenda views buffers."
>   (org-agenda-redo-all t))
>
> (run-with-idle-timer (* 60 20) t #'my/org-agenda-auto-refresh)
> #+end_src
>
> But I got error:
>
> #+begin_example
> Error running timer ‘my/org-agenda-auto-refresh’: (error
> "‘recenter’ing a window that does not display current-buffer.")
> #+end_example

I pushed fd28d0ac which should avoid this error.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-09-04 15:54 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-07-27  4:27 [Discuss] separate (recenter window-line) out of org-agenda-redo numbchild
2020-07-27  7:46 ` Marco Wahl
2020-07-28  1:07   ` [Help needed] " numbchild
2020-07-28 20:21 ` Marco Wahl
2020-07-30 13:02   ` [SOLVED] " numbchild
2020-09-04 15:49 ` Bastien

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).