From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
To: TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com>
Cc: org-mode-email <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>,
	Mario Frasca <mario@anche.no>
Subject: Re: WIP: Org-plot work
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 07:34:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Timothy,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Please share it on the list if you feel it's ready for a review.
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure it needs further tweaks, but I think that the bulk
> of the work would benefit from review at this point --- should I send it
> in?

Sure, please go ahead.

>> Also, Mario has been working on org-plot.el too
>
> Ah yes, well if Mario is interested I'm certainly open to such an idea :)

Great -- because I know Mario shared a lot of proposals, many of which
where probably ignored or dismissed because the patches did not follow
our conventions closely enough (despite his notable efforts).

It is of foremost importance that we stick to these conventions: they
help reduce the burden of Org maintainance.  But it is a pity that we
lose contributions because contributors cannot follow them and find it
difficult to do so.

So, be free to both cooperate on making org-plot.el more useful!

>> I'm not an org-plot.el user so I cannot comment on the usefulness and
>> correctness of the code, but perhaps you need to coordinate your work?
>
> On the usefulness front, I'm quite confident that the exposes some handy
> functionality. One notable result of my patches it that they allow users
> to define plot types they use frequently as 1st-class types (i.e. used
> just as #+PLOT: type:grid, just type:custom instead). This allows the
> GNUPlot boilerplate to be dissociated from the data being plotted, which
> I view as quite beneficial. This generalises the existing types into
> a default set of custom types.

Also, org-plot.el would do better with a maintainer - would you like
to step in?

 Bastien