* org-marker vs. org-hd-marker
@ 2020-10-26 18:29 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-10-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

what's the difference between org-marker and org-hd-marker markers?
What does "hd" stand for?

TIA,

Michael.

* Re: org-marker vs. org-hd-marker
@ 2020-10-27  2:59 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-10-27  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Heerdegen writes:

> Hello,
>
> what's the difference between org-marker and org-hd-marker markers?

My reading (which could be very wrong) is that org-hd-marker is always
set to the start of the headline.  org-marker, on the other hand, is set
to some position in the entry that depends on who is setting it.

For example, with an agenda file like

  ** TODO a
  SCHEDULED: <2020-10-26 Mon>

and a buffer generated with org-agenda-list, org-marker for the entry
points to "<".  In a buffer generated with org-todo-list, it points to
the first "*" of the headline (i.e. the same position as org-hd-marker).

> What does "hd" stand for?

Headline, I guess.

* Re: org-marker vs. org-hd-marker
@ 2020-10-27 11:00   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-10-27 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> My reading (which could be very wrong) is that org-hd-marker is always
> set to the start of the headline.  org-marker, on the other hand, is set
> to some position in the entry that depends on who is setting it.

Thanks for the insights, Kyle.

Do you know whether I can assume that one of those is always present
(org-marker probably, since org-hd-marker is not always present) when
examining the result of `org-agenda-get-day-entries'?  I don't care
about the exact location in an entry.

> > What does "hd" stand for?
>
> Headline, I guess.

Ah, that would make sense (and also explain why there are no 4k markers
;-)

Regards,

@ 2020-10-29  1:54     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-10-29  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Heerdegen writes:

> Do you know whether I can assume that one of those is always present
> (org-marker probably, since org-hd-marker is not always present) when
> examining the result of `org-agenda-get-day-entries'?  I don't care
> about the exact location in an entry.

Going through each of the collection functions at the end of
org-agenda-get-day-entries, it looks like they all set org-marker.
Plus, I can spot places in org-agenda.el that rely on agenda entries
having org-marker (e.g., org-agenda-goto and org-agenda-todo), so I
think that assumption would be safe.

* Re: org-marker vs. org-hd-marker
@ 2020-10-29  9:10       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-10-29  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Going through each of the collection functions at the end of
> org-agenda-get-day-entries, it looks like they all set org-marker.
> Plus, I can spot places in org-agenda.el that rely on agenda entries
> having org-marker (e.g., org-agenda-goto and org-agenda-todo), so I
> think that assumption would be safe.

Great, thanks for checking, Kyle.

Michael.