From: Aleksandar Dimitrov <mail@aleks.bg>
To: org-mode-email <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: About multilingual documents
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 10:44:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Juan,

> Thank you very much for your interesting comments. I think your idea of
> applying org-babel to (multi) language support is tremendously
> suggestive and, of course, more org-centric. I suppose it could be
> applied also to languages within the paragraph by inline blocks... I
> really liked what you propose.
>
> Well, I admit that my marks are a bit exotic :-D. The main problem I see
> is that they are not as robust as Org's own marks, since they are
> controlled by an export filter. Doing some further tests, by the way, I
> think it would be better to add the filter to
> `org-export-filter-plain-text-functions', instead of
> `...final-output-functions'. I also see that it would be convenient to
> avoid their expansion in verbatim texts, with a `(unless
> (org-in-verbatim-emphasis)...)'.

What I like about =org-edit-special= is that it gives you a dedicated
little environment in a different language (either natural, or
programming language!) This allows me to focus on the task of editing it
really easily.

I must admit that I find the inline org-src notation (of which I didn't
know yet) somewhat jarring, and certainly less pleasant to read. Perhaps
we could use a similar mechanism to =org-hide-emphasis-markers= to make
it more pleasant to read. [1]

> Anyway, I think (in general terms) it would be interesting for Org to
> incorporate some multilingual support and the ability to toggle between
> languages in a document, and the idea you propose seems to
> me that it makes a lot of sense.

I definitely agree that Org would benefit from more multilingual
support. I'm not very experienced in emacs-lisp but would love to contribute.

One problem I foresee is the translation of locales into LaTeX macros
for either (LaTeX)-Babel or Polyglossia (which is what I use.) So a
string like "en" or "en_UK" (which is readily understood by
([ai]|hun)spell) would have to be translated to the necessary
macros. For example for Polyglossia [2] the preamble would read

\setdefaultlanguage[variant=uk]{english}

And then the inline commands would have to be rendered as
\textenglish{…} or \textlang{english}{…} (probably the latter would be easier.)

I forgot what it is for LaTeX-Babel.

Note that the HTML export backend, too, could (or should) support
declaring multiple languages. [3]

There's a lot of work in there, but I would say that any implementation
effort should focus on one thing first. That could be switching the
dictionary on org-edit-special if a :lang-variable is set, or it could
be re-using what you, Juan, already wrote for LaTeX-Babel
exports. Support for Polyglossia or HTML could come at a later time.

Cheers,
Aleks

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20309842/how-to-syntax-highlight-for-org-mode-inline-source-code-src-lang/28059832#28059832
[2] https://ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/ctan/macros/unicodetex/latex/polyglossia/polyglossia.pdf