* Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-22 21:18 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-22 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a problem with images made by R code blocks in Org: not being displayed
or refreshed.  (This has been going on for a while, but I can't remember when it
started.)  Here's a minimal reproducible example I hope others can check.  It
requires R on your system and the ESS package.

First, here's my minimal-init.el file:

#----- minimal-init.el
   (setq debug-on-error t
         debug-on-signal nil
         debug-on-quit nil)

   (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp"))

   (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '(
        (R . t)
        (shell . t)
        ))

   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20221121.1627") ;;  "/usr/local/src/ESS/lisp"
   (require 'ess-r-mode)
# -----

For me this runs Org from the source tree (up to date today) and ESS from where
it was installed (package updated yesterday, as it happens).  Adjust paths as
necessary.

Next, here is r.org, with one R code block that makes a simple chart:

# ----- r.org
   #+begin_src R :results graphics file :file /tmp/plot.png :width 300 :height 300
   plot(c(1, 2, 3, 4), c(1, 8, 27, 64))
   #+end_src
# -----

Run Emacs:

$ emacs -Q -l minimal-init.el

In Emacs:

+ C-x C-f (load r.org wherever it is)
+ C-c C-c (to execute the R code)
+ Say yes to "Evaluate this R code block on your system?"
+ #RESULTS block appears (good) but image does not show
+ C-c C-x C-v (to toggle image display)
+ image appears
+ C-c C-c (to execute R code again)
+ Say yes to "Evaluate this R code block on your system?"
+ image disappears
+ C-c C-x C-v says "Inline image display turned off"
+ C-c C-x C-v says "Inline image display turned off" (and so on)

Expected behaviour:  Images should appear when this code block is run or rerun,
and C-c C-X C-v (org-toggle-inline-images) should toggle the setting, not keep
it off.

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-24  2:19 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-24  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> In Emacs:
>
> + C-x C-f (load r.org wherever it is)
> + C-c C-c (to execute the R code)
> + Say yes to "Evaluate this R code block on your system?"
> + #RESULTS block appears (good) but image does not show
> + C-c C-x C-v (to toggle image display)
> + image appears
> + C-c C-c (to execute R code again)
> + Say yes to "Evaluate this R code block on your system?"
> + image disappears
> + C-c C-x C-v says "Inline image display turned off"
> + C-c C-x C-v says "Inline image display turned off" (and so on)
>
> Expected behaviour:  Images should appear when this code block is run or rerun,
> and C-c C-X C-v (org-toggle-inline-images) should toggle the setting, not keep
> it off.

I am currently not able to test third-party packages in clear
environment, but I think I know what could have caused the problem.

I think I fixed the issue on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=d4522dd4d

Can you try the latest main and see if the problem persists?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-24  2:46   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-24  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for looking at this.  You've fixed the org-toggle-inline-images problem,
but the image generation and display problem is still there for me.

Here's a one-liner shell block that generates an image with Imagemagick, so no
extra Emacs packages necessary:

# -----

#+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png
convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png
#+end_src

# -----

But the image doesn't appear right away:

+ C-x C-f (load this file)
+ C-c C-c (to execute)
+ Say yes to "Evalute this sh code block on your system?"
+ #RESULTS block appears (good) but image does not show
+ But: C-c C-x C-v does work to toggle image display (fixed!)

This is the simplest way I could think of to generate an image with minimal
dependencies, so I hope this boils the problem down in a helpful way.  The image
should appear immediately in the buffer, shouldn't it?

Thanks,

Bill

@ 2022-11-24  2:56     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-24  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png
> convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png
> #+end_src
>
> # -----
>
> But the image doesn't appear right away:
>
> + C-x C-f (load this file)
> + C-c C-c (to execute)
> + Say yes to "Evalute this sh code block on your system?"
> + #RESULTS block appears (good) but image does not show
> + But: C-c C-x C-v does work to toggle image display (fixed!)
>
> This is the simplest way I could think of to generate an image with minimal
> dependencies, so I hope this boils the problem down in a helpful way.  The image
> should appear immediately in the buffer, shouldn't it?

No, it should not.
Though it is often requested.

I personally just do it via hook:

(add-hook! 'org-babel-after-execute-hook
  (unless (eq this-command 'org-babel-tangle)
    (org-display-inline-images nil nil
                               (save-excursion (org-back-to-heading-or-point-min t))
                               (save-excursion (or (outline-next-heading) (point-max))))))

Maybe one day someone™ can submit a patch ;)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-24  3:19       ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 24 November 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>> The image should appear immediately in the buffer, shouldn't it?
>
> No, it should not.
> Though it is often requested.

Huh, strange.  It's always done it for me, at least with R code blocks, as far
as I can remember.  But back to my original problem!

Here's another angle on it, with images not being refreshed even though they've
changed.

Setup:  my minimal-init.el from my first email.

File, r.org:

# -----

#+begin_src R :results graphics file :file /tmp/plot.png :width 300 :height 300
plot(c(1, 2, 3, 4), c(1, 8, 27, 64))
#+end_src

# -----

Steps:

+ C-x C-f (load r.org)
+ C-c C-c (execute R block)
+ answer yes to "Evaluate this?" question
+ #RESULTS appears, but image doesn't show
+ C-c C-x C-v (to see image)
+ look at /tmp/plot.png: it is 300 x 300
+ edit width and height settings so they are each 500 pixels
+ C-c C-c (execute R block again)
+ answer yes to "Evaluate this?" question
+ image disappears
+ C-c C-x C-v (to see image)
+ image is still 300 pixels square!
+ look at /tmp/plot.png: it is 500 x 500
+ C-x C-s (save file r.org)
+ quit and restart Emacs with minimal init
+ C-x C-f (load r.org)
+ C-c C-x C-v (to see image)
+ image is 500 x 500!

So R is generating a new, larger image, and it's there on disk, but Emacs won't
show it.

Thanks again,

Bill

--

@ 2022-11-24  3:24         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-24  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> + C-c C-c (execute R block again)
> + answer yes to "Evaluate this?" question
> + image disappears
> + C-c C-x C-v (to see image)
> + image is still 300 pixels square!

What if you run M-: (clear-image-cache) before C-c C-x C-v?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-24  3:29           ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-24  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 24 November 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> + C-c C-c (execute R block again)
>> + answer yes to "Evaluate this?" question
>> + image disappears
>> + C-c C-x C-v (to see image)
>> + image is still 300 pixels square!
>
> What if you run M-: (clear-image-cache) before C-c C-x C-v?

That does it!

Bill

--

@ 2022-11-24  3:43             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

>> What if you run M-: (clear-image-cache) before C-c C-x C-v?
>
> That does it!

Strange.
I am unable to reproduce the issue on my side (using the earlier bash
code block you provided).

What is your Emacs version?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-24  4:11               ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-24  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 24 November 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:
>
>>> What if you run M-: (clear-image-cache) before C-c C-x C-v?
>>
>> That does it!
>
> Strange.
> I am unable to reproduce the issue on my side (using the earlier bash
> code block you provided).
>
> What is your Emacs version?

I refreshed the source just now, and it's at commit 183c66be97c:

GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-23

I reran the convert image command, and the (clear-image-cache) problem is still
there.  If you generate an image that's 300x300, then change the command so it
makes a 500x500 image, and rerun the command, a 500x500 image appears right
away?  Or does after you C-c C-x C-v?  I have to run M-: (clear-image-cache) and
then the image in the buffer updates to the larger one.

Bill

--

@ 2022-11-25  2:03                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-25  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I refreshed the source just now, and it's at commit 183c66be97c:
>
> GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-23
>
> I reran the convert image command, and the (clear-image-cache) problem is still
> there.  If you generate an image that's 300x300, then change the command so it
> makes a 500x500 image, and rerun the command, a 500x500 image appears right
> away?  Or does after you C-c C-x C-v?  I have to run M-: (clear-image-cache) and
> then the image in the buffer updates to the larger one.

I tried again now, and I am able to reproduce.
This is very strange.

What I did is

1. cd /path/to/org/repo
2. git checkout main
3. make repro
4. M-: (require 'ob-shell)
5. Open the following org file

#+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png
convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png
#+end_src

6. Move point to the source block and C-c C-c yes
7. C-c C-x C-v
8. Observe the 300x300 image appearing
9. Edit the source code to 500x300
10. C-c C-c yes
11. Image disappears
12. C-c C-x C-v
13. Observe what appears to be the old 300x300 image
14. Move the cursor to the image
15. Observe the correct 500x300 appearing while the cursor is on it!!

Could you please confirm?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-27 13:18                   ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2022-11-27 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

Hello Ihor,

On Friday, 25 Nov 2022 at 02:03, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> What I did is
>
> 1. cd /path/to/org/repo
> 2. git checkout main
> 3. make repro
> 4. M-: (require 'ob-shell)
> 5. Open the following org file
>
> #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png
> convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png
> #+end_src
>
> 6. Move point to the source block and C-c C-c yes
> 7. C-c C-x C-v
> 8. Observe the 300x300 image appearing
> 9. Edit the source code to 500x300
> 10. C-c C-c yes
> 11. Image disappears
> 12. C-c C-x C-v
> 13. Observe what appears to be the old 300x300 image
> 14. Move the cursor to the image
> 15. Observe the correct 500x300 appearing while the cursor is on it!!

I tried to reproduce your steps on Org mode version 9.6-pre
(release_9.5.5-1096-gf83e45.dirty @ /home/djj/src/org-mode/lisp/).

and I get stuck at step 12, Inline display image cannot be switched on
again.

Hope this helps,

Jeremie

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-27 13:21                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to reproduce your steps on Org mode version 9.6-pre
> (release_9.5.5-1096-gf83e45.dirty @ /home/djj/src/org-mode/lisp/).
>
> and I get stuck at step 12, Inline display image cannot be switched on
> again.

Not switching on again has been fixed in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=d4522dd4d
(see the previous replies in this thread)

You need a newer Org version.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-27 14:16                       ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2022-11-27 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

Hello Ihor,

On Sunday, 27 Nov 2022 at 13:21, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I tried to reproduce your steps on Org mode version 9.6-pre
>> (release_9.5.5-1096-gf83e45.dirty @ /home/djj/src/org-mode/lisp/).
>>
>> and I get stuck at step 12, Inline display image cannot be switched on
>> again.
>
> Not switching on again has been fixed in
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=d4522dd4d
> (see the previous replies in this thread)
>
> You need a newer Org version.
Sorry, Yes I realised that I hadn't pulled.

I confirm the behaviour with the version

Org mode version 9.6-pre (release_9.5.5-1158-g927621 @
/home/djj/src/org-mode/lisp/)

Best regards,
Jeremie

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-11-28 20:44                   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 25 November 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> 1. cd /path/to/org/repo
> 2. git checkout main
> 3. make repro
> 4. M-: (require 'ob-shell)
> 5. Open the following org file
>
> #+begin_src sh :results graphics file :file /tmp/colour.png
> convert -size 300x300 xc:#002b36 /tmp/colour.png
> #+end_src
>
> 6. Move point to the source block and C-c C-c yes
> 7. C-c C-x C-v
> 8. Observe the 300x300 image appearing
> 9. Edit the source code to 500x300
> 10. C-c C-c yes
> 11. Image disappears
> 12. C-c C-x C-v
> 13. Observe what appears to be the old 300x300 image
> 14. Move the cursor to the image
> 15. Observe the correct 500x300 appearing while the cursor is on it!!
>
> Could you please confirm?

Confirmed!  Just as Jeremie did also.  I'd seen this image-switching behaviour
before and hadn't been able to recreate it with a simple example, but there it
is.  "This is very strange," indeed.

I don't know if this is useful, but:

16.  Edit source code back to 300x300
17.  C-c C-c yes
18.  Image disappears
19.  C-c C-x C-v
20.  300x300 image appears (a new one?  or the first one?)
21.  Move the cursor to the image
22.  The now incorrect 500x300 appears while the cursor is on it, same as 15

Bill

--

@ 2022-11-29  4:16                     ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-11-29  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I tried git bisect and, if I did it right, the problem may have started here:

commit 46b71f910844c14d8db1feb54c07de26d101cc05
Author: stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 4 12:36:32 2022 +0800

     org.el: Support auto display inline images when cycling

     * lisp/org.el (org-toggle-inline-images): Support region.
     (org-display-inline-images): Fix refresh argument logic.
     (org-remove-inline-images): Support region.

Bill

--

@ 2022-12-08 11:19                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-08 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

>> Could you please confirm?
>
> Confirmed!

I now reported this to Emacs upstream.
I do not see anything wrong on Org side in this case.

Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-12-08 15:37                       ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-12-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 8 December 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> I now reported this to Emacs upstream.
> I do not see anything wrong on Org side in this case.
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59902

Thanks for reporting this there.  I like how you simplified the bug example with
the two images, so nothing needs to be generated on the fly.

As a reminder for anyone else having this problem, where updated images don't
appear, this will refresh them:

M-: (clear-image-cache)

Bill

--

@ 2022-12-10 10:04                       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I now reported this to Emacs upstream.
> I do not see anything wrong on Org side in this case.
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59902

Since the bug will affect older Emacs versions, I pushed a workaround to
bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7fefc3027

It will no longer be necessary when Emacs fixes the issue and when we
stop supporting all the older Emacs versions with this bug being present.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Images generated by R code blocks do not display
@ 2022-12-12  3:10                         ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-12-12  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10 December 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> I now reported this to Emacs upstream.
>> I do not see anything wrong on Org side in this case.
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59902
>
> Since the bug will affect older Emacs versions, I pushed a workaround to
> bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7fefc3027
>
> It will no longer be necessary when Emacs fixes the issue and when we
> stop supporting all the older Emacs versions with this bug being present.

Thank you!  It's so nice to have this working again.  I have a couple of Org
files where I'm updating data and images a few times a week, and when this broke
it was a real pain---particularly because everything had worked so well for so
long.  Now my life is easy again.  I appreciate your work on this and everything
else, Ihor.

Bill