* ox-latex default template changed sentence spacing from 9.6 to 9.7 ?
@ 2024-09-02 22:26 pinmacs
From: pinmacs @ 2024-09-02 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1248 bytes --]

Hi,

Yesterday I re-exported an old pdf file with the new orgmode 9.7, I
discovered a difference in the styling or the template compared to
what it was in orgmode 9.6

Luckily, after adding this line to the export [1] it matched 100%
(tested with diffpdf).

I could be wrong and maybe the change was on my side, but I doubt
because I use debian stable, and I did not change almost anything on
the base system, the only thing I did is to upgrade from emacs 29 to
emacs 30 one week ago.

If this styling change is confirmed [2], I think it should appear in the
NEWS.

I also would like to know if orgmode plans to change the style again
(and if the style changes, if it is going to be noticed in the
NEWS). Right now I am not familiar with a more deep workflow of the
latex export, but maybe ox-latex could work with a latex template, and
then I would realize how to use it so I am covered to reproduce the
same PDFs independently of the orgmode version.

Cheers,
pinmacs

[1] ~#+LATEX_HEADER: \linespread{1}~
   which is about sentence spacing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing

[2] If you need on my side more details to facilitate reproducibility let
me know and I will try to be more concrete.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: ox-latex default template changed sentence spacing from 9.6 to 9.7 ?
@ 2024-09-04  5:43 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-09-04  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pinmacs, Org Mode List

I have a Linux with a recent emacs 30.0.90, org-mode 9.7.10 and a freeBsd
with an emacs 29.4, org-mode 9.6.15 and I see neither emitting the
linespread command.

Tested with #LATEX_COMPILER: lualatex and without it.

It must be something you have in your headers...
Best, /PA
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: ox-latex default template changed sentence spacing from 9.6 to 9.7 ?
@ 2024-09-04 13:08 ` pinmacs
From: pinmacs @ 2024-09-04 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Pedro,

You were right!

In my success of starting to have more diverse number of latex exports
in my yearly journal, it was being polluted because the global
~#+LATEX_HEADER~ stuff [1]

it went unnoticed because it was in lowcase and I was only searching for
the uppercase, these were the affecting lines:

#+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
#+latex_header: \onehalfspacing

Cheers,
pinmacs

[1] see here for more details:
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/224ef5a7-33fc-4467-b146-0899aa61b223@cas.cat/T/#t

@ 2024-10-12 12:26 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-10-12 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pinmacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

pinmacs@cas.cat writes:

> Yesterday I re-exported an old pdf file with the new orgmode 9.7, I
> discovered a difference in the styling or the template compared to
> what it was in orgmode 9.6

I do not recall such changes.

> I could be wrong and maybe the change was on my side, but I doubt
> because I use debian stable, and I did not change almost anything on
> the base system, the only thing I did is to upgrade from emacs 29 to
> emacs 30 one week ago.

Maybe some of your config does not interact well with changes in Org
mode. But it is hard to say without having more information about what
exactly changed for you.

It would be nice if you provided more details on how to reproduce the
problem. You may refer to
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback for more details on
what we expect from bug reports.

> I also would like to know if orgmode plans to change the style again
> (and if the style changes, if it is going to be noticed in the
> NEWS). Right now I am not familiar with a more deep workflow of the
> latex export, but maybe ox-latex could work with a latex template, and
> then I would realize how to use it so I am covered to reproduce the
> same PDFs independently of the orgmode version.

We try hard to not break existing setups. If we find that breaking
things is necessary, we always announce such breakage in the news.

However, because of the complex nature of Elisp configs and because of
human errors, there are bugs and oversights appearing from time to
time. We try to fix them as soon as we get to know about such problems.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,