* Re: combine orgmode and file system browsing
@ 2009-03-21  2:20 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-21  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andreas,

I like the idea of it.

Might be a nice way to jump to a file quickly since I could find the
link with `C-s' or `C-c o'. Maybe this helps in the TODO file of
small/medium project. I'll keep it and probably use it :-)

Regards,

  Sebastian

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> while using orgmode to organize data that is strongly bound to files
> and directories, I came to the point where in addition to linking from
> the orgfile to the target file/directory I longed to have it the other
> way round, i.e. getting information about the files/directories
> from the orgfile while browsing the filesystem. That led to the
> following idea:
>
> Orgmodes folding and linking capabilities are easily combined to
> make rudimentary but comfortable file system browsing:
>
> * [[file:test/dirA][dirA]]
> ** [[file:test/dirA/subdirA][subdirA]]
> *** [[file:test/dirA/subdirA/some_file][some_file]]
> ** [[file:test/dirA/another_file][another_file]]
> * [[file:test/dirB][dirB]]
>
> Attached is a bash-script that generates this representation from a
> given subtree of the filesystem as a proof of concept.
>
> For each file/directory displayed search for any link to it in a
> given orgfile and
>    - provide links back to these occurrences
>   and/or
>    - display the tags and associated content (read-only).
>
> The obvious weakness inherited from linking itself is synchronization on directory
> structure changes. A possible solution would be to store ids as
> hidden files for each directory or even for each file that is referred to.
>
> Does anybody else see the benefits of such a mode?
>
> Andreas
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> DIR=$1
>
> function toOrgRec {
> local BUFFER=""
> for d in $( echo "$(find $1 -maxdepth 1 -type d )" | tail -n +2 ); do
>
> BUFFER="${BUFFER}
> * [[file:${d}][$(basename ${d})]]"
>
> toOrgRec ${d}
> BUFFER=${BUFFER}$( echo "${RETURN_BUFFER}" | sed "s/^\*/**/" | sed "s/^ /  /" )
>
> done
>
> for f in $(find $1 -maxdepth 1 -not -type d); do
>
> BUFFER="${BUFFER}
> * [[file:${f}][$(basename "${f}" )]]"
>
> done
>
> RETURN_BUFFER=${BUFFER}
> }
>
> toOrgRec ${DIR}
> echo "$( echo "${RETURN_BUFFER}" | tail -n +2 )"

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* combine orgmode and file system browsing
@ 2009-03-21  3:11 Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-03-21  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: filesystem_to_org.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-shellscript, Size: 488 bytes --]

* Re: combine orgmode and file system browsing
@ 2009-03-21  5:12   ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-03-21  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 03:20:37 +0100
Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:

> I like the idea of it.

Thanks!

> Maybe this helps in the TODO file of
> small/medium project. I'll keep it and probably use it :-)

The script does not generate the backlinks only the file system
structure, so it's not really useful, sorry.
It would make more sense to implement that properly as a major-mode and
make each directory update its state from the filesystem and the org file whenever it
becomes visible than to have to manually recreate the static representation
everytime the filesystem's structure or the org file's content changes.

Andreas

* Re: combine orgmode and file system browsing
@ 2009-03-23 11:59     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
> The script does not generate the backlinks only the file system
> structure, so it's not really useful, sorry.
> It would make more sense to implement that properly as a major-mode and
> make each directory update its state from the filesystem and the org file whenever it
> becomes visible than to have to manually recreate the static representation
> everytime the filesystem's structure or the org file's content changes.

I know, but still. I have lot's of small to medium projects here and an
Org-mode file for each project. All ressources are listed in the
Org-file.

To have the filetree in there is a good way to jump the source file in
question and remember the code's structure easily a few weeks/months
later.

  * Customer calls
  * `C-,' until I see the Org-file
  * M-RET to record the BUG/feature request
  * Jump to file in question easily.

Another nice thing about it is, that the tree shows up in speedbar too.

Maybe the idea could make a nice contribution too? `C-c C-c' to update
the tree or include it dynamically. :)

I modified the script a bit to exclude some files and directories:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-sh, Size: 1658 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash

DIR=$1

# Define sufixes for directory names, that shouldn't be moved to the server:
declare -a exclude_dirs
exclude_dirs=('RCS' 'CVS' '.git' '_MTN' '.hg')

# define suffixes for files, that should not be moved to the server:
declare -a exclude_files
exclude_files=('.jpg' '.png' '.gif')

# This checks wether we have to run for this directory
function exclude_directory ()
{
    for suf in ${exclude_dirs[@]} ; do
        is_excluded=${1%$suf}
        if [ "$is_excluded" != "$1" ] ; then
            return 0
        fi
    done
    return 1
}

# This checks wether we have to run for this file
function exclude_file ()
{
    for suf in ${exclude_files[@]}
      do
      is_excluded=${1%$suf}

      if [ "$is_excluded" != "$1" ] ; then
          return 0
      fi
    done
    return 1
}

function toOrgRec {
    local BUFFER=""
    for d in $( echo "$(find $1 -maxdepth 1 -type d )" | tail -n +2 ); do

         if ! exclude_directory "$d"; then
            BUFFER="${BUFFER}
* [[file:${d}][$(basename ${d})]]"
            toOrgRec ${d}
            BUFFER=${BUFFER}$( echo "${RETURN_BUFFER}" | sed "s/^\*/**/" | sed "s/^ /  /" )
        fi
    done

    for f in $(find $1 -maxdepth 1 -not -type d); do
        if ! exclude_file "${f}"; then
            BUFFER="${BUFFER}
* [[file:${f}][$(basename "${f}" )]]"
        fi
    done

    RETURN_BUFFER=${BUFFER}
}

toOrgRec ${DIR}
echo "$( echo "${RETURN_BUFFER}" | tail -n +2 )"

</#part>

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers
@ 2009-03-28 23:54       ` Andreas Burtzlaff
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-03-28 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

the idea is now implemented as an extension to org-mode.

Available here: http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el

org-fstree inserts the filesystem subtree for a given directory.
Each file/directory is formatted as a headline, provides links back
to all headlines that are associated with it (by containing links to the file)
and is assigned their tags.

Usage:
  - enter a line containing "#+BEGIN_FSTREE: <dir>" into an org buffer,
    where <dir> is the directory, that is to be inserted.
  - while the cursor is in the line mentioned, press "C-c C-c"

Hope someone else than Sebastian and me finds this useful.

Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers
@ 2009-03-29  1:30         ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-03-29  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:54:15AM +0100, Andreas Burtzlaff wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> the idea is now implemented as an extension to org-mode.
>
> Available here: http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el
>
> org-fstree inserts the filesystem subtree for a given directory.
> Each file/directory is formatted as a headline, provides links back
> to all headlines that are associated with it (by containing links to the file)
> and is assigned their tags.
>
> Usage:
>   - enter a line containing "#+BEGIN_FSTREE: <dir>" into an org buffer,
>     where <dir> is the directory, that is to be inserted.
>   - while the cursor is in the line mentioned, press "C-c C-c"
>
> Hope someone else than Sebastian and me finds this useful.

I'll have a play with this this afternoon. If it works as advertised I
will find it very useful.

Thanks for the work!

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers
@ 2009-03-29  1:57         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-29  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> the idea is now implemented as an extension to org-mode.
>
> Available here: http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el
>
> org-fstree inserts the filesystem subtree for a given directory.
> Each file/directory is formatted as a headline, provides links back
> to all headlines that are associated with it (by containing links to the file)
> and is assigned their tags.
>
> Usage:
>   - enter a line containing "#+BEGIN_FSTREE: <dir>" into an org buffer,
>     where <dir> is the directory, that is to be inserted.
>   - while the cursor is in the line mentioned, press "C-c C-c"
>
> Hope someone else than Sebastian and me finds this useful.

I find this useful! Thans for putting this in elisp.

Some additions I could thing of:

  * a customizable list of directory names to skip.
    '("CVS" "_MTN" ".git" ".hg" "RCS") might be a good default.

  * Add directory names to the skip list

    #+begin fstree -sd (nogo notes)

  * Skip files by suffix

    #+begin fstree -sf (.jpg .gif ...)

  * Maybe require the option `-r' to be recursive.
    Files are often grouped in directories for a purpose. If I jott down
    some notes it would be great to just add files in that one directory
    that contains files related to the sections content.

  * Add a slash to the directory names to make the list more
    readable. As an alternative, I could imagine to use folder icons
    like speedbar, or use headlines without links for directories (the
    links all look the same, wether they are headlines or leaves).

   - Sebastian

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-03-29 12:41           ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-03-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sebastian,

new version 0.2 available.
http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:57:36 +0200
Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:

> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
>   * a customizable list of directory names to skip.
>     '("CVS" "_MTN" ".git" ".hg" "RCS") might be a good default.
>   * Add directory names to the skip list
>     #+begin fstree -sd (nogo notes)
>   * Skip files by suffix
>     #+begin fstree -sf (.jpg .gif ...)

Both implemented with the new options :exclude-regexp-name and :exclude-regexp-fullpath
From the documentation:
     - :exclude-regexp-name <list of regexp strings> , exclude file/directory names matching either
                                                  of the given regexp expressions
       Examples:
         :exclude-regexp-name (".*\\.pdf$" ".*\\.zip$"), excludes files/directories ending with either ".pdf" or ".zip"
         :exclude-regexp-name ("^\\.git$") , excludes files/directories named ".git"

     - :exclude-regexp-fullpath <list of regexp strings>, same as :exclude-regexp-name but matches absolute path to file/directory

>   * Maybe require the option `-r' to be recursive.

Is implemented as an option now:
:non-recursive t

>   * Add a slash to the directory names to make the list more
>     readable. As an alternative, I could imagine to use folder icons
>     like speedbar, or use headlines without links for directories (the
>     links all look the same, wether they are headlines or leaves).

I added  "[D]" for directories and "[ ]" for files in the headline.
While that looks quite nice imho, I'm still looking for a more appealing formatting for the backlinks.
I've tried to add the backlinks as properties "Link1", "Link2",... , but links are shown as text in the column view.

Use column view for the links (EXPERIMENTAL):
*** Test Tree
    :PROPERTIES:
    :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM %Link1 %Link2 %Link3 %Link4
    :END:

#+BEGIN_FSTREE: ~/tmp/ :non-recursive t :links-as-properties t

Any ideas?

Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-03-29 17:10             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Andreas, this is great. Especially the filtering and
non-recursive behaviour.

--

@ 2009-03-30  6:39               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Should this be in contrib/lisp/ ?

- Carsten

On Mar 29, 2009, at 7:10 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Thanks Andreas, this is great. Especially the filtering and
> non-recursive behaviour.
>
>  Sebastian
>
> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
>> Hello Sebastian,
>>
>> new version 0.2 available.
>> http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el
>>
>> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:57:36 +0200
>> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
>>>  * a customizable list of directory names to skip.
>>>    '("CVS" "_MTN" ".git" ".hg" "RCS") might be a good default.
>>>  * Add directory names to the skip list
>>>    #+begin fstree -sd (nogo notes)
>>>  * Skip files by suffix
>>>    #+begin fstree -sf (.jpg .gif ...)
>>
>> Both implemented with the new options :exclude-regexp-name
>> and :exclude-regexp-fullpath
>>> From the documentation:
>>     - :exclude-regexp-name <list of regexp strings> , exclude file/
>> directory names matching either
>>                                                  of the given
>> regexp expressions
>>       Examples:
>>         :exclude-regexp-name (".*\\.pdf$" ".*\\.zip$"), excludes
>> files/directories ending with either ".pdf" or ".zip"
>>         :exclude-regexp-name ("^\\.git$") , excludes files/
>> directories named ".git"
>>
>>     - :exclude-regexp-fullpath <list of regexp strings>, same
>> as :exclude-regexp-name but matches absolute path to file/directory
>>

>>>  * Maybe require the option `-r' to be recursive.
>>
>> Is implemented as an option now:
>> :non-recursive t
>>
>>>  * Add a slash to the directory names to make the list more
>>>    readable. As an alternative, I could imagine to use folder icons
>>>    like speedbar, or use headlines without links for directories
>>> (the
>>>    links all look the same, wether they are headlines or leaves).
>>
>> I added  "[D]" for directories and "[ ]" for files in the headline.
>> While that looks quite nice imho, I'm still looking for a more
>> appealing formatting for the backlinks.
>> I've tried to add the backlinks as properties "Link1",
>> "Link2",... , but links are shown as text in the column view.
>>
>> Use column view for the links (EXPERIMENTAL):
>> *** Test Tree
>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>    :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM %Link1 %Link2 %Link3 %Link4
>>    :END:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_FSTREE: ~/tmp/ :non-recursive t :links-as-properties t
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> --
> Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449
> Hannover
> Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
> Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
> mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
> Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
> Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-03-31  9:48                 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-03-31  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Together with the ability to limit the recursions, this is potentially
useful.  Thank you.

A longstanding item on my wishlist has been a Linux implementation of
an old MSDOG workalike, 4DOS with the 4dos shell.  That shell worked
alot like "dir" but it kept a field for comments.  So, with those
useless msdog 8+3 filenames, one could keep a note, and keep track of
...  Maybe you can get it.

DIred is pretty good, but I haven't found anything yet to do what I
would like.  I just tried typing notes into the org-fstree buffer of a
directory listing.  It was pretty nice, not what I want exactly, but
it could be useful in some cases.

Except for at least one thing: refreshing the directory deleted my
notes.  For example:

*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-help][org-help]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/ARCHIVE][ARCHIVE]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/orgcard][orgcard]]     Hmmm..?????
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Journal][Journal]]     ???
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/plotting][plotting]]    my experiments
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/LaTeX][LaTeX]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Classes][Classes]]     Working directory maybe
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/MEMO][MEMO]]        location of memo
composition bits
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/data][data]]        attachments
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/auto][auto]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-extra][org-extra]]   better to keep
the extra bits here for portability?
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-plot][org-plot]]    gnuplot and R
plotting, I think

Now when I refresh:
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Classes][Classes]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/MEMO][MEMO]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/data][data]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/auto][auto]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-extra][org-extra]]
*** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-plot][org-plot]]

Do you suppose this could be solved easily?

Thanks again,

Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."                     ---Lord Raleigh (John
William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
     ---- Bertrand Russell

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-01  1:12                   ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-04-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Alan,

I think you overlooked one aspect of org-fstree.
If you place a link to a file in the org file (outside the region
between BEGIN_FSTREE and END_FSTREE), e.g:

* Some note [[file:foobar][foobar]]      :someTag:

then this heading will show up behind the file in the fstree as a link
back:

#+BEGIN_FSTREE: some_path

** [ ] foobar { [[* Some note][Some note]] }     :someTag:

#+END_FSTREE

I see that it could in some cases be comfortable to add notes directly
at the file's entry and make them persistent on update. I might write a
function that automatically inserts a heading for the currently selected
file outside the fstree block, if time allows.

I'm looking for a better way to display those links and possibly also
the content of the headings and am happy to receive new ideas. I tried the
column view, but properties that contain links are displayed as text.

Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-01  4:22                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-01  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Andreas Burtzlaff wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> I think you overlooked one aspect of org-fstree.
> If you place a link to a file in the org file (outside the region
> between BEGIN_FSTREE and END_FSTREE), e.g:
>
> * Some note [[file:foobar][foobar]]      :someTag:
>
> then this heading will show up behind the file in the fstree as a link
> back:
>
> #+BEGIN_FSTREE: some_path

> ** [ ] foobar { [[* Some note][Some note]] }     :someTag:
>
> #+END_FSTREE
>
> I see that it could in some cases be comfortable to add notes directly
> at the file's entry and make them persistent on update. I might
> write a
> function that automatically inserts a heading for the currently
> selected
> file outside the fstree block, if time allows.
>
> I'm looking for a better way to display those links and possibly also
> the content of the headings and am happy to receive new ideas. I
> tried the
> column view, but properties that contain links are displayed as text.

But you can nonetheless open them with C-c C-o when on the right field.

- Carsten

> Andreas
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:48:37 +1000
> "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Together with the ability to limit the recursions, this is
>> potentially
>> useful.  Thank you.
>>
>> A longstanding item on my wishlist has been a Linux implementation of
>> an old MSDOG workalike, 4DOS with the 4dos shell.  That shell worked
>> alot like "dir" but it kept a field for comments.  So, with those
>> useless msdog 8+3 filenames, one could keep a note, and keep track of
>> ...  Maybe you can get it.
>>
>> DIred is pretty good, but I haven't found anything yet to do what I
>> would like.  I just tried typing notes into the org-fstree buffer
>> of a
>> directory listing.  It was pretty nice, not what I want exactly, but
>> it could be useful in some cases.
>>
>> Except for at least one thing: refreshing the directory deleted my
>> notes.  For example:
>>
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-help][org-help]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/ARCHIVE][ARCHIVE]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/orgcard][orgcard]]     Hmmm..?????
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Journal][Journal]]     ???
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/plotting][plotting]]    my experiments
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/LaTeX][LaTeX]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Classes][Classes]]     Working
>> directory maybe
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/MEMO][MEMO]]        location of memo
>> composition bits
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/data][data]]        attachments
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/auto][auto]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-extra][org-extra]]   better to keep
>> the extra bits here for portability?
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-plot][org-plot]]    gnuplot and R
>> plotting, I think
>>

>> Now when I refresh:
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/Classes][Classes]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/MEMO][MEMO]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/data][data]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/auto][auto]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-extra][org-extra]]
>> *** [D] [[file:/home/ulod/org/org-plot][org-plot]]
>>
>> Do you suppose this could be solved easily?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Alan Davis
>>
>> "An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
>> for one non-existent."                     ---Lord Raleigh (John
>> William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist.
>>
>> It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
>> there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
>>     ---- Bertrand Russell

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-01 23:50                       ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-04-01 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> > I'm looking for a better way to display those links and possibly also
> > the content of the headings and am happy to receive new ideas. I
> > tried the
> > column view, but properties that contain links are displayed as text.
>
> But you can nonetheless open them with C-c C-o when on the right field.

Hm, that works for links to files, but strangely it doesn't for links to headings in 6.25:

* Target

* Test
 :PROPERTIES:
 :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM %Link1 %Link2
 :END:

** Test Heading
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Link1: [[* Target]]
  :END:

** Test File
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Link1: [[file:somewhere]]
  :END:

Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-03  9:45                         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 2, 2009, at 1:50 AM, Andreas Burtzlaff wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a better way to display those links and possibly
>>> also
>>> the content of the headings and am happy to receive new ideas. I
>>> tried the
>>> column view, but properties that contain links are displayed as
>>> text.
>>
>> But you can nonetheless open them with C-c C-o when on the right
>> field.
>
> Hm, that works for links to files, but strangely it doesn't for
> links to headings in 6.25:

True,

and I have no idea why that is so.  Very strange bug, one
of those only Nick Dokos can find :-)

- Carsten

> * Target
>
> * Test
> :PROPERTIES:
> :COLUMNS:  %40ITEM %Link1 %Link2
> :END:
>

> ** Test Heading
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :Link1: [[* Target]]
>  :END:
>
> ** Test File
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :Link1: [[file:somewhere]]
>  :END:
>
> Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-04  3:01                           ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-04-04  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten,

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:45:44 +0200
Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hm, that works for links to files, but strangely it doesn't for
> > links to headings in 6.25:
>
> True,
>
> and I have no idea why that is so.  Very strange bug, one
> of those only Nick Dokos can find :-)

you didn't count me in :-).
Attached is the patch against org.el (from 6.25b)

Andreas

[-- Attachment #2: org.el.diff --]

7445,7450c7445,7451
<   (with-temp-buffer
<     (let ((org-inhibit-startup t))
<       (org-mode)
<       (insert s)
<       (goto-char (point-min))
<       (org-open-at-point arg))))
---
>   (let ((reference-buffer (current-buffer)))
>     (with-temp-buffer
>       (let ((org-inhibit-startup t))
> 	(org-mode)
> 	(insert s)
> 	(goto-char (point-min))
> 	(org-open-at-point arg reference-buffer)))))
7452c7453
< (defun org-open-at-point (&optional in-emacs)
---
> (defun org-open-at-point (&optional in-emacs reference-buffer)
7515a7517,7518
>       ;; if called in a temporary buffer (from org-open-link-from-string), switch back to original buffer
>       (cond (reference-buffer (switch-to-buffer reference-buffer)))

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree 0.2
@ 2009-04-04  3:04                             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-04  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 4, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Andreas Burtzlaff wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:45:44 +0200
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hm, that works for links to files, but strangely it doesn't for
>>> links to headings in 6.25:
>>
>> True,
>>
>> and I have no idea why that is so.  Very strange bug, one
>> of those only Nick Dokos can find :-)
>
> you didn't count me in :-).

Well, I will from now on!  Fantastic, thanks.

- Carsten

P.S. Please, could you send a "diff -u" next time?

@ 2009-06-10 19:14         ` Lindsay Todd
From: Lindsay Todd @ 2009-06-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas,

    I am finding org-fstree useful.  Thank you.

    One thing that would make it more useful, at least to me, would be
if the directory listing were sorted.  Even alphanumeric order would
be nice -- would be enough for me -- but others might want the sort
order and type to be changeable...

    The other thing that would be nice (but I can manage without) is
to be able to indicate that the directory being listed is the
attachment directory.  I like to be able to do things like store
monthly statements from utilities with my notes concerning
interactions with that utility.

/Lindsay

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Andreas Burtzlaff<andy13@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> the idea is now implemented as an extension to org-mode.
>
> Available here: http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el
>
> org-fstree inserts the filesystem subtree for a given directory.
> Each file/directory is formatted as a headline, provides links back
> to all headlines that are associated with it (by containing links to the file)
> and is assigned their tags.
>
> Usage:
>  - enter a line containing "#+BEGIN_FSTREE: <dir>" into an org buffer,
>    where <dir> is the directory, that is to be inserted.
>  - while the cursor is in the line mentioned, press "C-c C-c"
>
> Hope someone else than Sebastian and me finds this useful.
>
> Andreas

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers / UPDATE
@ 2009-06-12  3:56           ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-06-12  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lindsay Todd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Lindsay,

you remembered me to publish the new version 0.4 of org-fstree, that
features dynamic generation and deletion of directory contents on
visibility change and thus makes the complete filesystem browsable in
real time inside the org file. ( set option :dynamic-update t )
The entries are also sorted in alphanumeric order now.

http://burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/

Enjoy

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:14:12 -0400
Lindsay Todd <rltodd.ml1@gmail.com> wrote:

>     The other thing that would be nice (but I can manage without) is
> to be able to indicate that the directory being listed is the
> attachment directory.  I like to be able to do things like store
> monthly statements from utilities with my notes concerning
> interactions with that utility.

Hm, I don't really get your intention, sorry. How do you want the
directory's content to be displayed if it is an "attachment directory"?

@ 2009-06-18 22:35             ` Lindsay Todd
From: Lindsay Todd @ 2009-06-18 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Burtzlaff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Andreas Burtzlaff<andy13@gmx.net> wrote:
> you remembered me to publish the new version 0.4 of org-fstree, that
> features dynamic generation and deletion of directory contents on
> visibility change and thus makes the complete filesystem browsable in
> real time inside the org file. ( set option :dynamic-update t )
> The entries are also sorted in alphanumeric order now.

Thanks!  That really helps!

>>     The other thing that would be nice (but I can manage without) is
>> to be able to indicate that the directory being listed is the
>> attachment directory.  I like to be able to do things like store
>> monthly statements from utilities with my notes concerning
>> interactions with that utility.
>
> Hm, I don't really get your intention, sorry. How do you want the
> directory's content to be displayed if it is an "attachment directory"?

It could be displayed just like a regular directory being shown in
org-fstree.  I like to store documents related to projects in my
attachment directory, and sometimes want to seem them.  If I just open
the directory with ^A-^A-F to view it in dired mode, and an attachment
is a PDF, clicking on it opens the PDF file in emacs.  Not the same as
opening a link to the PDF, which is what org-fstree gives me.  So I
have been using org-fstree, and pointing it to the attachment
directory, and getting much nicer results -- other than having to
figure out a path to the attachment directory.  Would be nice if
org-fstree did that for me.

I have "att:" as  a link prefix to my attachment directory; if
org-fstree could expand link prefixes, that would be a nice general
solution (but what to do if the expansion isn't a local directory?).

Just an idea...  Thanks for this extension.

/Lindsay

* Re: [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers / UPDATE
@ 2009-06-19 12:39               ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-06-19 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lindsay Todd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:35:32 -0400
Lindsay Todd <rltodd.ml1@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] other than having to
> figure out a path to the attachment directory.  Would be nice if
> org-fstree did that for me.
>
> I have "att:" as  a link prefix to my attachment directory; if
> org-fstree could expand link prefixes, that would be a nice general
> solution (but what to do if the expansion isn't a local directory?).

Usage of org's link prefixes is implemented and committed to the
repository.

By the way, for remote directories you can use tramp, ange-ftp or any
other emacs access method with org-fstree.

Andreas