From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
	Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Announcing org-jekyll
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:20:04 -0700	[thread overview]

So to jump onto this thread that Carsten unwittingly brought back to
life ;)

I have been exporting org-mode subtrees to jekyll blog posts on a couple
of projects, and I've found it really handy
- resulting in more attractive web pages than I'm able to generate
  directly from org
- for the liquid syntax which jekyll provides for programmatic
  generation of elements of html files
- and for the ability to automatically generate xml/atom/rss from my
  projects

One issue that I've not been able to solve is the resolution of
intra-file links when I'm exporting subtrees to external files.  For
example say I have the following file

,----[example.org]
| * top
| ** subtopic
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :CUSTOM_ID: subtopic
|    :END:
| stuff
|
| ** another topic
| see stuff in [[subtopic]]
`----

after I've exported the subtrees to separate files for processing by
jekyll, all of my intra-file links are broken.  I wonder if a
generalization of this issue might have wide enough appeal to merit an
org-mode based solution.  Specifically would it be possible to add
support for exporting subtrees to external files, and updating all links
within the subtree based on the new location of the exported file
(i.e. adjusting all intra-file links to point to the original file)?

Taking the above idea one step further, if say each subtree has an
"EXPORT_FILE_NAME" property then it would be great to support link
maintenance during export of all such subtrees in a file, so for example
the following file

,----[example.org]
| * top
|
| ** section one
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: section-one
|    :END:
|
| *** subtopic
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :CUSTOM_ID: subtopic
|    :END:
| stuff
|
| ** another topic
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: another-topic
|    :END:
| see stuff in [[subtopic]]
`----

could export to

,----[section-one.org]
| * section one
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: section-one
|   :END:
|
| ** subtopic
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :CUSTOM_ID: subtopic
|    :END:
| stuff
`----

and

,----[another-topic.org]
| * another topic
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: another-topic
|    :END:
| see stuff in [[file:section-one.org::subtopic][subtopic]]
`----

I hope the above example is clear.  While writing this up I noticed the
existence of an "EXPORT_FILE_NAME" property however I was unable to use
it to successfully export a subtree.  It may be that the behavior I've
described is only useful in the case of jekyll export, in which case I
may try my hand at hacking a solution together.  Either way I'd be
interested to hear peoples thoughts or if I'm missing some existing
functionality.

Thanks -- Eric