From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Links Lost and Export-Report
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:15:13 -0400	[thread overview]

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:

> Dear Bernt,
>
> On 18.08.2010, at 18:13, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I currently have a "showstopper-class" problem with links. I am using Org-mode release_7.01h-129-g3363a with Emacs 23.2.1. I have
>>>
>>> (require 'org-install)
>>> (require 'org-id)
>>>
>>> in my .emacs file.
>>>
>>> This works fine:
>>>
>>> (1) org-link-to-org-use-id is t and when I do a C-c l (org-store-link), a "a globally unique ID property" is generated for the current section - so far so good.
>>> (2) I then change to another org-file and insert the link with C-c C-l (org-store-link), looking at the org source shows me that, indeed, the newly generated ID ("id:3A50..." in that example) has been used.
>>> (3) When I do a C-c C-o (org-open-at-point) on the new link, the target org-file is opened at exactly the right place - nice!
>>> (4) When I export the file as HTML, the link works exactly as expected: "<a href="some-file.html#ID-3A50...">
>>>
>>> Here is the problem: I have two computers with very similar setups (Emacs and Org-mode: same versions; laptop and desktop) and synchronize org-files via a subversion repository. If I do a subversion update (sync the org-files to that computer) and then export to HTML on that computer, the previously working links do not work any more: there is no "#ID-..." in the link, in fact, the link is simply to the file that contains the link (not even the file I want to link to). Maybe Org-mode was not able to find the "id"?
>
> [...]
>
>> I think you need to look in the ~/.emacs.d/.org-id-locations file.  This
>> maps link ids to files.
>>
>> -Bernt
>
> I think it is very likely that this is part of problem - I synchronize
> the directories containing my org-files and have, so far, done nothing
> about "~/.emacs.d/.org-id-locations".
>
> What is the best way to deal with this?
> - Synchronize?
> - Delete?
> - Force re-generation?

I think you can just regenerate the file with a call to

M-x org-id-update-id-locations

> I have just taken a look at that file. It seems to map one id to one
> file. How does that help Org-mode if I rename an org-file that
> contains an id?

This will probably make your ids and files out of sync so they don't
work for links in those files anymore.  Regenerating the list for all of
the files you have with id links should fix the problem.

I use the feature but don't rename my org files so I've never run into
this issue (if it is one).

Regards,
Bernt