Jan Böcker wrote: >On 09/03/2010 05:07 AM, sand@blarg.net wrote: >> How about doing the same data: URI embedding for images in the HTML >> exporter? It should be possible to implement it entirely inside >> Emacs. It would have to be optional, of course. >> >> Derek >> >This is certainly possible, the following patch would do this to *every* >image. Maybe someone who knows the HTML exporter code better than I do >can make it configurable and submit a patch. >Bonus points for an extra option which only embeds images smaller than >32 KB to keep it compatible with Internet Explorer. The main problem I see here is, that it is not very well supported. Especially IE below 8 does not support it at all and IE8 seems to support data URIs in CSS style sheets, only. Quote from https://developer.mozilla.org/en/data_URIs (Common problems): "The data scheme is supported by Opera 7.20 and above, as well as Safari and Konqueror. Internet Explorer 7 and below, however, do not currently support it. Internet Explorer 8 and above only supports data URIs for images in CSS." Moreover this technique is somewhat problematic because it defeats some caching mechanism, and will enlarge the resulting page -- not very kind for people with small bandwith and/or paying by traffic. I think something supporting this could go to hacks or contrib with a big red warning about the consequences and a careful discussion of when to use this and when best not to use it. Best, -- David PS: There is http://www-archive.mozilla.org/quality/networking/testing/datatests.html that lets you test your browser for the support of content included in data URIs. -- OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6 Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de