* little problem with installing org with el-get
@ 2010-11-17 10:48 yagnesh raghava yakkala
From: yagnesh raghava yakkala @ 2010-11-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I recently dove into emacs world because of org. This is my first mail
to list so let me thank to Org-mode , Carsten and all contributors.

Now to the problem,

I am trying to follow the Org-mode from the git head using el-get. how
ever its not working as intended. even after el-get-update and
el-get-init , i see org-version is set to 7.1 (I am using emacs from
git repo few days ago built) instead of 7.3 release_7.3xxx dirty.

I think this is nothing to do with my /init.el/. As a work around I
removed org folder from the emacs installation. After doing so it is
showing the correct version which is installed.

I dont know this is a problem with el-get. is anybody using el-get to
maintain your org and other elisp code.

in my init.el I have el-get-sources setup as the following.

(setq el-get-sources
      '(
	(:name magit
               :after (lambda () (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-z") 'magit-status)))

	(:name org-mode
	       :type git
	       :url "git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git"
	       :info "doc"
	       :build ("make clean" "make" "make doc")
	       :load-path ("lisp" "contrib/lisp")
	       :features org-install)
	(:name smex
	       :type git
	       :url "http://github.com/nonsequitur/smex.git")

	(:name el-get
	       :type git
	       :url "git://github.com/dimitri/el-get.git"
	       :features el-get
	       :load    "el-get.el")
	))

Apologies if my terminology and language confuses you.

Regards.,
Yagnesh

PS: I am almost a noob to elisp and even to programming. so please
bear with me. I am sending this from /gnus/ for the first time hoping to
reach the list.

* Re: little problem with installing org with el-get
@ 2010-11-17 11:39 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-11-17 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yagnesh raghava yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Unless you specifically want to use el-get there are various options
available.

See 'Keeping Current' section of http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php for
various options.

Since you say you are a noob I suggest that you use the Package
Manager - ELPA.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-11-17 13:35   ` yagnesh raghava yakkala
From: yagnesh raghava yakkala @ 2010-11-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Jambunathan,

Thanks for the reply.,

> Unless you specifically want to use el-get there are various options
> available.
>
> See 'Keeping Current' section of http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php for
> various options.
>
> Since you say you are a noob I suggest that you use the Package
> Manager - ELPA.

previously I used ELPA to maintain few of my plugins. but i found (may
be a wrong estimation) that el-get will be more elegant to follow the
plugins using not only as a wrapper to ELPA and other plugins with
additional protocols like git, http ,svn and more.

      Problems with ELPA are I had to put ELPA directory into my .emacs.d repo
to exchange the my configurations between different computers. so when
ever I add/delete a plugin by ELPA, I will have big changes in my
.emacs.d repo.

     Other thing is manual checking for the plugin updates. that's why i
chose to use el-get. Again, may be experienced git&elisp users can
overcome these problems quite easily.

> Jambunathan K.
>
> yagnesh raghava yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I recently dove into emacs world because of org. This is my first mail
>> to list so let me thank to Org-mode , Carsten and all contributors.
>>
>> Now to the problem,
>>
>> I am trying to follow the Org-mode from the git head using el-get. how
>> ever its not working as intended. even after el-get-update and
>> el-get-init , i see org-version is set to 7.1 (I am using emacs from
>> git repo few days ago built) instead of 7.3 release_7.3xxx dirty.
>>
>> I think this is nothing to do with my /init.el/. As a work around I
>> removed org folder from the emacs installation. After doing so it is
>> showing the correct version which is installed.
>>
>> I dont know this is a problem with el-get. is anybody using el-get to
>> maintain your org and other elisp code.

As I said, i could solve my problem with deleting the org directory
(bad idea indeed , loosing the fallback option) in my emacs
installation.
        My question was why el-get is not able to init the Org
while it is doing good with other packages.

if this is not so interesting/important, please ignore this thread as
closed Since I am having a working git head org installation.

Thanks & Regards,
Yagnesh

[deleted the tail]

* Re: little problem with installing org with el-get
@ 2010-11-17 14:20     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-11-17 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yagnesh raghava yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>>> I am trying to follow the Org-mode from the git head using el-get. how
>>> ever its not working as intended. even after el-get-update and
>>> el-get-init , i see org-version is set to 7.1 (I am using emacs from
>>> git repo few days ago built) instead of 7.3 release_7.3xxx dirty.
>>>
>>> I think this is nothing to do with my /init.el/. As a work around I
>>> removed org folder from the emacs installation. After doing so it is
>>> showing the correct version which is installed.
>>>
>>> I dont know this is a problem with el-get. is anybody using el-get to
>>> maintain your org and other elisp code.
>
> As I said, i could solve my problem with deleting the org directory
> (bad idea indeed , loosing the fallback option) in my emacs
> installation.
>         My question was why el-get is not able to init the Org
> while it is doing good with other packages.

I haven't used el-get so I cannot comment on it.

But, from the nature of the description it looks like it could be an
issue with load-path.

Have you done C-h v load-path and verified that it is OK?

Jambunathan K.

* Re: little problem with installing org with el-get
@ 2010-11-17 19:47 ` dpom
From: dpom @ 2010-11-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use el-get to obtain the last org-mode version and it's ok.
My working configuration is:

(setq el-get-sources
 '(
   (:name org-mode
     :build ("make clean" "make" "make doc"
             "make INSTALL_INFO=ginstall-info infodir=~/.emacs.d/info/org install-info")
     :after (lambda ()
            (setq load-path (remove "/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/" load-path))
            (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list (expand-dir-name "org" info-dir))))
))

You should replace "/usr/share/23.2/lisp/org/" with your emacs
repository.

Best regards,
Dan Pomohaci

@ 2010-11-18 10:25   ` yagnesh raghava yakkala
From: yagnesh raghava yakkala @ 2010-11-18 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dpom <dan.pomohaci@gmail.com> writes:
> I use el-get to obtain the last org-mode version and it's ok.
> My working configuration is:
>
> (setq el-get-sources
>  '(
>    (:name org-mode
>      :build ("make clean" "make" "make doc"
>              "make INSTALL_INFO=ginstall-info infodir=~/.emacs.d/info/org install-info")
>      :after (lambda ()
>             (setq load-path (remove "/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/" load-path))
>             (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list (expand-dir-name "org" info-dir))))
> ))
>
> You should replace "/usr/share/23.2/lisp/org/" with your emacs
> repository.

Thanks Dan Pomohaci. This is working., I understood whats going on.

Regards,
Yagnesh