* simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-07 18:27 Eric Schulte
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-01-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found the need to write this today, figured I'd share on the off
chance anyone else has a need for this sort of script.

  txt2org --- convert tab-separated data to org-mode tables
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-4

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-07 18:37 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I found the need to write this today, figured I'd share on the off
> chance anyone else has a need for this sort of script.
>
>   txt2org --- convert tab-separated data to org-mode tables
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-4

Is it different from

        M-x org-table-import RET

@ 2013-01-07 18:48   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-01-07 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I found the need to write this today, figured I'd share on the off
>> chance anyone else has a need for this sort of script.
>>
>>   txt2org --- convert tab-separated data to org-mode tables
>>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-4
>
> Is it different from
>
>         M-x org-table-import RET

Yes, it is a shell script and not an Emacs Lisp function, hence it can
be used in different contexts.  Also, it probably isn't quite as nice in
terms of right or left aligning column contents.

--

@ 2013-01-07 18:54 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-07 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found the need to write this today, figured I'd share on the off
> chance anyone else has a need for this sort of script.
>
>   txt2org --- convert tab-separated data to org-mode tables
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-4

As an alternative, the command

  M-x org-table-convert-region

does much of the dirty work - but you are on your own for hlines.

Nick

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-07 20:09 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I found the need to write this today, figured I'd share on the off
> chance anyone else has a need for this sort of script.
>
>   txt2org --- convert tab-separated data to org-mode tables
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-4

Neat!

In the same vein, the next release of Clojure (1.5) includes
a way to export to Org mode tables:

https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/changes.md#28-clojurepprintprint-table-output-compatible-with-emacs-org-mode

--
 Bastien

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-07 20:33   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-07 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> In the same vein, the next release of Clojure (1.5) includes
> a way to export to Org mode tables:

While we are talking about exporting tables to/from Org: Start a session
from sudoku.el and use this org file to easily import Sudoku from a
paper or book into sudoku.el and maybe keep track of what you did.  Not
the most elegant code for dealing with the lists structures, but it gets
the job done.

#+NAME: export-sudoku
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=() :hlines no :results output silent
  (setq custom-puzzles
        (list
         (mapcar
          (lambda (row)
            (mapcar
             (lambda (entry)
               (if (stringp entry) 0 entry))
             row))
          (remove 'hline table))))
#+END_SRC
#+NAME: import-sudoku
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results value :hlines yes
  (let (board
        (index 0))
  (setq board (mapcar
               (lambda (row)
                 (mapcar
                  (lambda (entry)
                    (if (zerop entry) "" entry))
                  row))
               current-board))
  (list
   (nth 0 board) (nth 1 board) (nth 2 board)
   'hline
   (nth 3 board) (nth 4 board) (nth 5 board)
   'hline
   (nth 6 board) (nth 7 board) (nth 8 board)))
#+END_SRC

#+TBLNAME: Test
| 3 |   | 2 |   |   |   | 5 |   | 8 |
|   | 9 |   | 3 |   | 5 |   | 6 |   |
| 6 |   |   |   | 7 |   |   |   | 4 |
|---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---|
|   | 8 |   | 1 |   | 4 |   | 2 |   |
|   |   | 9 |   |   |   | 8 |   |   |
|   | 2 |   | 6 |   | 9 |   | 5 |   |
|---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---|
| 8 |   |   |   | 9 |   |   |   | 5 |
|   | 1 |   | 4 |   | 3 |   | 8 |   |
| 2 |   | 4 |   |   |   | 1 |   | 9 |
#+CALL: export-sudoku(table=Test) :results output silent
#+CALL: import-sudoku() :hlines yes

One noteworthy thing: even though I say ":hlines no" (I can also do this
on the call line with the same result), the table still gets exported to
elisp _with_ hlines and I need to filter them out myself.  I'm not sure
if that is intended, but it feels a bit awkward.  If anything, this
exception should be noted in the documentation if it is intentional.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-07 20:54     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-01-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> One noteworthy thing: even though I say ":hlines no" (I can also do this
> on the call line with the same result), the table still gets exported to
> elisp _with_ hlines and I need to filter them out myself.  I'm not sure
> if that is intended, but it feels a bit awkward.  If anything, this
> exception should be noted in the documentation if it is intentional.

elisp is special in that no hline or heading processing is done for you
(the idea being that if you're working from within elisp you can do this
yourself).  This is a relic from the early days of Babel.  I believe it
is mentioned in the documentation (if it isn't I agree that it should
be).

--

@ 2013-01-07 21:36       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-07 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte writes:
> This is a relic from the early days of Babel.  I believe it is
> mentioned in the documentation (if it isn't I agree that it should
> be).

Not that I can find, neither in the manual nor Worg (I've looked again).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-08  6:38         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-01-08  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Eric Schulte writes:
>> This is a relic from the early days of Babel.  I believe it is
>> mentioned in the documentation (if it isn't I agree that it should
>> be).
>
> Not that I can find, neither in the manual nor Worg (I've looked again).

I added a note to the manual.  Thanks for double-checking.

--

@ 2013-01-08 18:55           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte writes:
> I added a note to the manual.  Thanks for double-checking.

Thanks.  Did I understand correctly that the same also happens for the
:rownames argument and should there be some similar wording like there
is for :colnames?

Achim.

* Re: simple script to convert txt tables to Org-mode tables on the command line
@ 2013-01-09 17:22             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-01-09 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Eric Schulte writes:
>> I added a note to the manual.  Thanks for double-checking.
>
> Thanks.  Did I understand correctly that the same also happens for the
> :rownames argument

I just checked this and yes, elisp ignores :rownames as well.

> and should there be some similar wording like there is for :colnames?

Just committed such wording to the manual.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte