* colorg: Weekly status!
@ 2013-01-28  6:36 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-01-28  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jean Schurger, Aurélien Bondis

Hi, my Org friends.

The colorg project is about real-time collaborative editing of Org
files.  The project progresses a bit on each weekend only, but I
seemingly cannot find free hours elsewhere in the week!  Here is the
status after three weeks.

The parts slowly begin to fit together.  I can launch a colorg server
and two Emacs sessions.  In the first Emacs, I can upload a buffer
contents to the server as a resource.  In the second Emacs, I can either
download that resource from the server into a empty buffer, or associate
it with a buffer already having identical contents.  Then, making edits
to any Emacs go to the other.  That's a start!

Take note that the tool is still unusable however, as the resolution
clashing code in the server still has to be implemented, it only works
when editing in disjoint areas.  On a local Git branch, I have some
Emacs Lisp code to multiplex many buffers to many servers (or one), but
bugs remain, so I did not merge that branch yet.

I adjusted the documentation on https://github.com/pinard/colorg/wiki .
The Usage page has a list of known problems (remaining things to do).

Keep happy all!

François

P.S. When modifications clash, a region should never be deleted more
than once, and insertions should all be kept, so no work is lost
unexpectedly.  This has consequences on the later alterations coming in
the same batches, and this is where the complexity lies.  Not very
difficult (so far that I can see), but quite tedious to do correctly.
I'll come to it, hopefully.