* Bad indentation with visual-line-mode
@ 2013-02-27  9:26 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2013-02-27  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hallöchen!

For reasons I cannot understand, longlines-mode was dropped in bzr
emacs.  Thus, I have to use visual-line-mode with org-mode in order
to achieve similar behaviour.  This has two drawbacks:

- There is no way to set the line width besides setting Emacs
margins, which is visually less appealing than before.  (Minor
problem.)
- Indentation in lists is essentially broken.  I illustrate this by
indenting this list as it now appears in my org-mode file.  One can
activate org-indent-mode but this is not the same as
longlines-mode.  Besides, I don't like the big indentations it
creates for deeply nested content.

Has anybody an idea how to solve my second point?  Thank you!

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bronger@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com

* Re: Bad indentation with visual-line-mode
@ 2013-02-27 12:27 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-27 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> - There is no way to set the line width besides setting Emacs
> margins, which is visually less appealing than before.  (Minor
> problem.)

Please report this to Emacs developers.

> - Indentation in lists is essentially broken.  I illustrate this by
> indenting this list as it now appears in my org-mode file.  One can
> activate org-indent-mode but this is not the same as
> longlines-mode.  Besides, I don't like the big indentations it
> creates for deeply nested content.

`org-indent-mode' is fine for me here, it fixes the wrong _visual_
indentation which results from using `visual-line-mode'.

> Besides, I don't like the big indentations it
> creates for deeply nested content.

Mhh.. what big indentations?

(setq org-list-indent-offset 0)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bad indentation with visual-line-mode
@ 2013-02-27 15:50   ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2013-02-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hallöchen!

Bastien writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> - There is no way to set the line width besides setting Emacs
>> margins, which is visually less appealing than before.  (Minor
>> problem.)
>
> Please report this to Emacs developers.

In
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-05/msg00824.html
Stefan Monnier says that he sees no need to add a set-wrap-width
option.

>> - Indentation in lists is essentially broken.  I illustrate this
>> by indenting this list as it now appears in my org-mode file.
>> One can activate org-indent-mode but this is not the same as
>> longlines-mode.  Besides, I don't like the big indentations it
>> creates for deeply nested content.
>
> `org-indent-mode' is fine for me here, it fixes the wrong _visual_
> indentation which results from using `visual-line-mode'.

Yes, it fixes it for me, too.  But my point is that I don't want to
have indentation of the subtrees, only of the list items.  This
basically means that org-indent-mode isn't the solution I am looking
for.  Besides, setting org-indent-indentation-per-level to "0"
triggers this error on startup:

    Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/bronger/.emacs':

    Args out of range: [nil * ** *** **** ***** ****** ******* ******** ********* ********** *********** ************ ************* ************** *************** **************** ***************** ****************** ******************* ******************** nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil], -1

Should I report a bug?

And, shouldn't visual-line-mode's behaviour that it doesn't respect
the indentation of org-mode be considerd a bug, too?

Tschö,
Torsten.

--

@ 2013-02-27 22:06     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-27 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> But my point is that I don't want to
> have indentation of the subtrees, only of the list items.  This
> basically means that org-indent-mode isn't the solution I am looking
> for.

Mhh.. Indeed.

> Besides, setting org-indent-indentation-per-level to "0"
> triggers this error on startup:
>
>     Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/bronger/.emacs':
>
>     Args out of range: [nil * ** *** **** ***** ****** ******* ********
> ********* ********** *********** ************ ************* **************
> *************** **************** ***************** ******************
> ******************* ******************** nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
> nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil], -1
>
> Should I report a bug?

Fixed, thanks!

> And, shouldn't visual-line-mode's behaviour that it doesn't respect
> the indentation of org-mode be considerd a bug, too?

I don't think so, I believe this is an inherent limitation of
visual-line-mode.

The basic meaning of "indentation" is "indentation at the true
beginning of a line", not "indentation at the visual left margin", so
I doubt anyone can claim that the visual "indentation" you see with
`visual-line-mode' should be displayed like the real indentation you
have without out.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bad indentation with visual-line-mode
@ 2013-02-28  7:02       ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2013-02-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hallöchen!

Bastien writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> And, shouldn't visual-line-mode's behaviour that it doesn't
>> respect the indentation of org-mode be considerd a bug, too?
>
> I don't think so, I believe this is an inherent limitation of
> visual-line-mode.
>
> The basic meaning of "indentation" is "indentation at the true
> beginning of a line", not "indentation at the visual left margin",
> so I doubt anyone can claim that the visual "indentation" you see
> with `visual-line-mode' should be displayed like the real
> indentation you have without out.

Possibly.  On the other hand, both "longlines" and "auto-fill"
indent org-mode lists nicely.  The longlines mode was removed from
Emacs, and there should be a replacement for every usecase before
you remove something I think.  I believe visual-line-mode is the
best candidate for such a replacement.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--

@ 2013-02-28  7:31         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-28  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Possibly.  On the other hand, both "longlines" and "auto-fill"
> indent org-mode lists nicely.  The longlines mode was removed from
> Emacs, and there should be a replacement for every usecase before
> you remove something I think.  I believe visual-line-mode is the
> best candidate for such a replacement.

I see you ported the conversation to emacs-devel, which is the
right thing to do here IMO.

Let's see how it evolves there.

Note that longlines.el is stll in the lisp/obsolete.el directory
of Emacs, so you can always use it.

Best,

--
 Bastien