* $ in paragraph -- footnote problem
@ 2013-07-30 23:01 Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-07-30 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

According to the manual (at 11.7.3):

  * Text within the usual LaTeX math delimiters.  To avoid conflicts
      with currency specifications, single `$' characters are only
      recognized as math delimiters if the enclosed text contains at
      most two line breaks, is directly attached to the `$' characters
      with no whitespace in between, and if the closing `$' is followed
      by whitespace, punctuation or a dash.  For the other delimiters,
      there is no such restriction, so when in doubt, use `\(...\)' as
      inline math delimiters.

I have a paragraph with a $120,000 in it. At any point after the $ sign,
org will not let me insert a footnote, giving the message "Cannot insert
a footnote here". Removing the $ allows a footnote, but replacing the $
disables it. Adding another currency figure to the paragraph changes
nothing.

Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?

emacs 24.3.1
org 8.0.6

Thanks for any help,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: $ in paragraph -- footnote problem
@ 2013-07-31 12:50 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-07-31 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a paragraph with a $120,000 in it. At any point after the
> $ sign, org will not let me insert a footnote, giving the message
> "Cannot insert a footnote here". Removing the $ allows a footnote, but
> replacing the $ disables it. Adding another currency figure to the
> paragraph changes nothing.
>
> Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?

This is a known limitation of `org-footnote-in-valid-context-p', which
relies on `org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p' (see its docstring). It should
use `org-inside-complete-LaTeX-fragment-p', which doesn't exist yet[1].

Regards,

[1] Well, there is:

  (memq (org-element-type (org-element-context))
        '(latex-environment latex-fragment))

but this is not an option at the moment.

--
Nicolas Goaziou