On Monday, 9 Jan 2017 at 15:46, John Kitchin wrote: > Based on the docstrings for org-export-select-tags and > org-export-exclude-tags, this looks expected. > > It does not look possible to exclude a heading and include a subheading > under it. It is possible to include a heading and exclude some > subheadings though you need a wanted tag in the parent, and notwanted > tags in the subtrees, and to declare the exclude tags. I think I was unclear. My confusion is that a tree (rooted at a top level headline) that I do not want exported is nevertheless exported if a subtree within that tree has a "selected" tag. I would have thought the higher level heading would take precedence. > I am surprised you can use comment like this. It looks to me like > commenting a tree makes all the subtrees in it not export too. Yes, it is. Again, I obviously didn't explain myself well. I have resorted to commenting out whole trees (rooted at headlines) to avoid them being exported because a sub-tree has the selected tag. In any case, I have found a workaround by inverting my tag usage. thanks, eric -- : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.3-189-ge46676