* Idea for agenda notifications
@ 2009-04-24 17:02 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list,

I love org-mode and I'm constantly trying to find ways to enhance my GTD
workflow with it. One thing that I miss from the more high-level PIMs (such
as Evolution) is the notification feature, specifically integrated into the
environment (using gnome-notification for example). My idea is to somehow
parse my gtd.org file, search for scheduled items and, using an additional
metadata in the item, decide when (how long before the event happens) to use
gnome-notify (or any other notify mechanism in the OS) to show the reminder
of the event. I'm thinking on using Ruby or Python to develop a small daemon
that would do that, but I'm not sure if this would be the best way. I would
love your suggestions regarding that. Of course, if I manage to make it
work, I will release the code as open-source ;)

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Idea for agenda notifications
@ 2009-04-24 17:14 ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-04-24 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa schrieb:
> parse my gtd.org file, search for scheduled items and, using an additional
> metadata in the item, decide when (how long before the event happens) to use
> gnome-notify (or any other notify mechanism in the OS) to show the reminder
> of the event. I'm thinking on using Ruby or Python to develop a small daemon
---Zitatende---

There's already M-x org-agenda-to-appt, dunno if appt.el can be used
or extended to do what you want.

I use (appt-activate 1) (appt-message-warning-time 5) and occasionally
call M-x org-agenda-to-appt (which I think is only relevant if you've
didn't add the schedule with an org command, iirc).

I use this to remind of regular appointments at work.

--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Re: Idea for agenda notifications
@ 2009-04-24 17:17 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-24 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> I love org-mode and I'm constantly trying to find ways to enhance my
> GTD workflow with it. One thing that I miss from the more high-level
> PIMs (such as Evolution) is the notification feature, specifically
> integrated into the environment (using gnome-notification for
> example). My idea is to somehow parse my gtd.org file, search for
> scheduled items and, using an additional metadata in the item, decide
> when (how long before the event happens) to use gnome-notify (or any
> other notify mechanism in the OS) to show the reminder of the
> event. I'm thinking on using Ruby or Python to develop a small daemon
> that would do that, but I'm not sure if this would be the best way. I
> would love your suggestions regarding that. Of course, if I manage to
> make it work, I will release the code as open-source ;)

I live in Emacs and just use the remind interface for notifications.
They aren't as obvious (read: annoying) as pop-up windows that steal
your mouse and keyboard focus but they work great for me.

Here's my setup.

(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
  (org-agenda-to-appt))

(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)
(run-at-time "24:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(run-at-time "00:59" 3600 'org-save-all-org-buffers)

I've seen other setups for reminder windows and apps on this list so you
might want to search the list archives if you need a different solution.

-Bernt

* Re: Idea for agenda notifications
@ 2009-04-24 17:28   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks guys, I'll try your solutions and let you know how it goes!

I live in Emacs and just use the remind interface for notifications.
> They aren't as obvious (read: annoying) as pop-up windows that steal
> your mouse and keyboard focus but they work great for me.

What I have in mind is not a popup Windows, but to interface the gnome
notification system which is pretty unobtrusive or maybe use mumbles (www.*
mumbles*-project.org/).

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-24 17:35     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-24 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

By the way, how can I use the org-agenda-to-appt? When I run it a message
saying "No event to add" is returned -- I do have some scheduled events on
my gtd.org file and this file is part of the org-agenda-files list.

Thank you!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-24 17:55       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> By the way, how can I use the org-agenda-to-appt? When I run it a
> message saying "No event to add" is returned -- I do have some
> scheduled events on my gtd.org file and this file is part of the
> org-agenda-files list.

As I understand it org-agenda-to-appt picks up tasks from your
org-agenda-files that have an active timestamp for today.  If you have a
scheduled, deadline, or active timestamp for 12:00 it will create
reminders in the remind package for those and let remind handle them.

I don't use dates/times in headlines so I don't know if it works for
that case.

For my setup remind starts bugging me 12 minutes before the appointment.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Idea for agenda notifications
@ 2009-04-24 19:54         ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-04-24 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have emacs w/ org running at all times, and I use a hook with
kdialog to make popup notifications when appointments are due.

I adapted this from someone else's post on using Zenity, I wish I
remembered who so I could credit them.

Here is a snippet from my .emacs:

;; For org appointment reminders

;; Get appointments for today
(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
	(interactive)
	(setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
	(let ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))    ;; will be automatic in org  5.23
	  (org-agenda-to-appt)))

(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)
(run-at-time "24:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)

;; 5 minute warning
(setq appt-message-warning-time '60)
(setq appt-display-interval '15)

;; Update appt each time agenda opened.
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)

;; Setup zenify, we tell appt to use window, and replace default function
(setq appt-display-format 'window)
(setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))

(defun my-appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time msg)
	(save-window-excursion (shell-command (concat
      "/usr/bin/kdialog --msgbox '" msg "' &") nil nil)))
))

Enjoy!

@ 2009-04-24 23:37           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-24 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Awesome! This idea could be extended to add other kind of events, like send
emails, SMS, play some audio file, whatever (turn org-mode in a kind of PIM
server too.. hmm, lots of cool ideas come to my mind). I still prefer using
the gnome-notifier but it shouldn't be hard to adapt it for that.

Well -- the first thing I need to do though is to master elisp :)

Thanks!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-27 17:27             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-04-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Awesome! This idea could be extended to add other kind of events, like
> send emails, SMS, play some audio file, whatever (turn org-mode in a
> kind of PIM server too.. hmm, lots of cool ideas come to my mind). I
> still prefer using the gnome-notifier but it shouldn't be hard to
> adapt it for that.
>
> Well -- the first thing I need to do though is to master elisp :)

I use a similar mechanism based on osd (on screen display) which doesn't
pop up windows but simply writes text directly onto the display (over
top of anything and everything).  Much less intrusive than a pop-up
window (IMO... YMMV) and is completely window manager agnostic (perfect
for my Asus running X with ratpoison, for instance).

The original code comes from Richard Riley and I believe the code I have
was modified by Nick Dokos?  In any case, the code is below.  My elisp
is not good enough to determine which bits are absolutely necessary,
mind you...  On Debian systems, you would need to install the gnome-osd
package.

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------- cut here --------------

(require 'appt)
(defun rgr/xml-escape (s)
  (setq s (replace-regexp-in-string "'" "&apos;"
  (replace-regexp-in-string "\"" "&quot;"
  (replace-regexp-in-string "&" "&amp;"
  (replace-regexp-in-string "<" "&lt;"
  (replace-regexp-in-string ">" "&gt;" s)))))))

(when window-system
  (defun rgr/osd-display (id msg &optional delay vattrib hattrib font)
    "Display a message msg using OSD. Currently requires gnome-osd-client"
    (unless vattrib (setq vattrib "top"))
    (unless hattrib (setq hattrib "right"))
    (unless delay (setq delay 5000))
    (unless font (setq font "Arial 12"))
    (save-window-excursion
      (shell-command
       (format
	"gnome-osd-client -f \"<message id='%s' osd_fake_translucent_bg='off' osd_font='%s' animations='on' hide_timeout='%d' osd_vposition='%s' osd_halignment='%s'>%s</message>\""
	id
	font
	delay
	vattrib
	hattrib
	(rgr/xml-escape msg)
	)))))
(when window-system

  (setq appt-display-format 'window)

  (defun org-osd-display (min-to-app new-time msg)
    (rgr/osd-display msg msg -1 "center" "left" "Verdana 20"))

  (setq appt-disp-window-function (function org-osd-display))

  ;; Run once, activate and schedule refresh
  (run-at-time nil 3600 'org-agenda-to-appt)
  (appt-activate t))

(setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
(org-agenda-to-appt)

(defadvice  org-agenda-redo (after org-agenda-redo-add-appts)
  "Pressing `r' on the agenda will also add appointments."
  (progn
    (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
    (org-agenda-to-appt)))

(ad-activate 'org-agenda-redo)