* (probably stupid) link question
@ 2009-09-13 15:34 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-09-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I've saved a link to a latex file using org-save-link, but the link is
not good enough to find the piece of the file I want.  That is, Org-mode
tries to jump to the link, but finds only the FIRST match, and it so
happens that the location I wanted was the second or third.

I looked at the "Handling Links" page in the buffer and I don't see any
obvious answer to this question.  Is there some way to say "please rerun
the link-following search?"

Or should I have been dropping an anchor into the latex file somehow,
figuring that the link to "Summary" was just going to behave badly?

many thanks,

* Re: (probably stupid) link question
@ 2009-09-13 20:25 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2009-09-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

At Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:34:34 -0500,
Robert Goldman wrote:

> I've saved a link to a latex file using org-save-link, but the link is
> not good enough to find the piece of the file I want.  That is, Org-mode
> tries to jump to the link, but finds only the FIRST match, and it so
> happens that the location I wanted was the second or third.

Or fourth, or fifth... IMO using the default determin-link-target
approach of orgmode does not work well if you want to link to specific
parts of a (LaTeX) file: I remember that org-store-link uses the
current paragraph as the link target and that does not work well if
the so created target is a word that appears more than once in your
text (as it is in your case) or a whole paragraph, that *may* get
changed slightly with the result, that orgmode wouldn't find the
target to jump to.

> Or should I have been dropping an anchor into the latex file somehow,
> figuring that the link to "Summary" was just going to behave badly?

I solved the problem exactly in this way: I hacked down my very own
function that inserts a LaTeX macro with an uuid and stored a link to
this uuid. I used it to mark open questions/paragraphs/todos in my
master thesis -- with the desired effect, that I had an orgmode todo
list that showed the things I had to to.

Merely the elisp function got lost somehow so I cannot provide it at
the moment. I'll see if I can recreate the function during my next
hacking hours.

Regards,

  -- David

--