* Only show a certain weekday in the agenda view
@ 2010-01-29 16:35 Björn Steffen
From: Björn Steffen @ 2010-01-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm teaching every thursday at a school. So I made a recurring entry
in my org-file like this:

* Teaching
   <2010-02-04 Thu 7:45-9:25 +1w>

I would like to have a custom agenda view where I only see an entry
for all the Thursdays. But I cannot filter for the specific entry
above because I also would like to see other timestamped items which
fall on Thursdays.

Is there some kind of filtering function for this purpose?

Thanks and regards,
Björn

* Re: Only show a certain weekday in the agenda view
@ 2010-02-01  9:48 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Björn,

I am not sure I understand what your request is.  You want a view like
the agenda, but only Thursdays?  So leave you Monday, Tuesday etc?

- Carsten

On Jan 29, 2010, at 5:35 PM, Björn Steffen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm teaching every thursday at a school. So I made a recurring entry
> in my org-file like this:
>
> * Teaching
>   <2010-02-04 Thu 7:45-9:25 +1w>
>
> I would like to have a custom agenda view where I only see an entry
> for all the Thursdays. But I cannot filter for the specific entry
> above because I also would like to see other timestamped items which
> fall on Thursdays.
>
> Is there some kind of filtering function for this purpose?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Björn

- Carsten

* Re: Only show a certain weekday in the agenda view
@ 2010-02-01  9:57   ` Björn Steffen
From: Björn Steffen @ 2010-02-01  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

> I am not sure I understand what your request is.  You want a view like the
> agenda, but only Thursdays?

Basically I want a view like the agenda, but so that I see only the
events on Thursdays and the other weekdays are skipped.
I'm sorry, my question was a little confusing.

@ 2010-02-02  9:41     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-02-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

You can use day view ("v d" in the agenda) in a Thursday. When you want to go to
the next one just pass a prefix argument 7 and then hit "f" to go forward. You
could also create a function that do this and assign a key for it in the agenda.

 - Darlan

@ 2010-02-04  6:14 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-04  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2010/1/29 Björn Steffen :
> Hello,
>
> I'm teaching every thursday at a school. So I made a recurring entry
> in my org-file like this:
>
> * Teaching
>   <2010-02-04 Thu 7:45-9:25 +1w>
>
> I would like to have a custom agenda view where I only see an entry
> for all the Thursdays. But I cannot filter for the specific entry
> above because I also would like to see other timestamped items which
> fall on Thursdays.
>
> Is there some kind of filtering function for this purpose?

I am guessing you probably want to see items related to your classes.
In that case if you tag the items related to classes, then you can
filter based on the tag ('/' in agenda or timeline view or 'C-c a m
"tag"').

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: Only show a certain weekday in the agenda view
@ 2010-02-04  9:51   ` Björn Steffen
From: Björn Steffen @ 2010-02-04  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

> I am guessing you probably want to see items related to your classes.

Exactly. To get an overview for the next couple of weeks.

> In that case if you tag the items related to classes, then you can
> filter based on the tag ('/' in agenda or timeline view or 'C-c a m
> "tag"').

Good idea.
All events specific to my classes are in a file with #+CATEGORY: MNG.
So I first tried to filter with '/' in agenda view on 'CATEGORY="MNG"'
but that didn't work.

Probably this works only with tags. Therefore I changed my org-file
such that I have now a single headline as a parent for all these
events. I gave this parent headline the tag :MNG:. Now I can filter in
the agenda view based on this tag.

This gives me more or less what I was looking for. So I configured the
following custom agenda command:

Org Agenda Custom Commands
Choice: Value Menu Single command:
            Access Key(s) : u
            [X] Description: Unterricht am MNG
            Choice: Value Menu Agenda
            Match (only for some commands):
            Local settings for this command. Remember to quote values:
            INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Heading for this block:
                        org-agenda-overriding-header
                        Headline: Unterricht am MNG
            INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Number of days in agenda:
                        org-agenda-ndays
                        Integer: 28
            INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Start on day of week:
                        org-agenda-start-on-weekday
                        Choice: Value Menu Weekday No.: 1
            INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Any variable:
                        Variable: org-agenda-show-all-dates
                        Value (sexp): nil
            INS DEL Setting: Value Menu Tags filter preset:
                        org-agenda-filter-preset
                        Repeat:
                        INS DEL +tag or -tag: +MNG
                        INS

Thanks for your help,

@ 2010-02-05 14:09     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-02-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Björn Steffen <bjoern.steffen@inf.ethz.ch> writes:

> Hi Manish,
>
>> I am guessing you probably want to see items related to your classes.
>
> Exactly. To get an overview for the next couple of weeks.
>
>> In that case if you tag the items related to classes, then you can
>> filter based on the tag ('/' in agenda or timeline view or 'C-c a m
>> "tag"').
>
> Good idea.
> All events specific to my classes are in a file with #+CATEGORY: MNG.
> So I first tried to filter with '/' in agenda view on 'CATEGORY="MNG"'
> but that didn't work.
>
> Probably this works only with tags. Therefore I changed my org-file
> such that I have now a single headline as a parent for all these
> events. I gave this parent headline the tag :MNG:. Now I can filter in
> the agenda view based on this tag.

You could add a #+FILETAGS: MNG to the file and then all tasks in that
file will have an MNG tag you can filter on.

-Bernt