* OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
@ 2010-06-23  1:26 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-06-23  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

Nowthat GTD is starting to work for me i really really miss having org
available when i don't have my laptop handy.  Everyone around me is buying
proprietary iphones and Android phones with 3-year contracts and expensive
data plans, but i don't even really want a smartphone -- i want my calendar
and orgmode, like a little notebook to carry around with me; but that's it.

I *do* have an old palm tx that has been sitting on the shelf for a while.
Does anyone know if there's any way at all to get some version of orgmode
working on it?  and preferably google calendar tooo...  if the solution
involves putting linux on the thing, that's good, too.
 thanks again!
matt

* Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
@ 2010-08-27 12:08 ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-08-27 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> Nowthat GTD is starting to work for me i really really miss having org
> available when i don't have my laptop handy.  Everyone around me is buying
> proprietary iphones and Android phones with 3-year contracts and expensive
> data plans, but i don't even really want a smartphone -- i want my calendar
> and orgmode, like a little notebook to carry around with me; but that's it.
>

> I *do* have an old palm tx that has been sitting on the shelf for a while.
> Does anyone know if there's any way at all to get some version of orgmode
> working on it?  and preferably google calendar tooo...  if the solution
> involves putting linux on the thing, that's good, too.

This is quite an old message, but just in case, here's a pointer to an
earlier post that could be useful to you I guess :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-03/msg00750.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> - OpenPGP: 6B829EEC
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF - T&MSP (http://www.it-sudparis.eu)

* Re: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
@ 2010-08-27 23:12   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-27 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, emacs-orgmode

> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Nowthat GTD is starting to work for me i really really miss having org
> > available when i don't have my laptop handy.  Everyone around me is buying
> > proprietary iphones and Android phones with 3-year contracts and expensive
> > data plans, but i don't even really want a smartphone -- i want my calendar
> > and orgmode, like a little notebook to carry around with me; but that's it.
> >

> > I *do* have an old palm tx that has been sitting on the shelf for a while.
> > Does anyone know if there's any way at all to get some version of orgmode
> > working on it?  and preferably google calendar tooo...  if the solution
> > involves putting linux on the thing, that's good, too.

I cannot help you directly with the Palm but, in case you wish to
consider a different little computer, the Nokia N810 (an internet
tablet, not a phone) does a good job of running Emacs in a phone sized
form factor (but with keyboard).  I was (and still am every now and
again) using this specifically for org-mode.

The latest incarnation of this system (which started with the N770 and
progress through the N800 and N810) is the N900 which is now a phone
as well as an internet table.  This also, I'm told, runs Emacs.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
@ 2010-08-28  8:46     ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-08-28  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I cannot help you directly with the Palm but, in case you wish to
> consider a different little computer, the Nokia N810 (an internet
> tablet, not a phone) does a good job of running Emacs in a phone sized
> form factor (but with keyboard).  I was (and still am every now and
> again) using this specifically for org-mode.
>
> The latest incarnation of this system (which started with the N770 and
> progress through the N800 and N810) is the N900 which is now a phone
> as well as an internet table.  This also, I'm told, runs Emacs.

Great idea :-)

Are there packages for nokia n800 running OS 2008 ? I happen to have one
such device that could very well be used for this instead of collection
dust ;)

I've found a package for emacs 22
(http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml)
but that all seems old and requires dependencies on unabailable packages
(libxaw).

Also emacs 22 is a bit too old maybe ?

Any hints would be welcome.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> - OpenPGP: 5819D7E8
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF - T&MSP (http://www.it-sudparis.eu)

* Re: org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
@ 2010-08-28 10:17       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-28 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:46:23 +0200, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > I cannot help you directly with the Palm but, in case you wish to
> > consider a different little computer, the Nokia N810 (an internet
> > tablet, not a phone) does a good job of running Emacs in a phone sized
> > form factor (but with keyboard).  I was (and still am every now and
> > again) using this specifically for org-mode.
> >
> > The latest incarnation of this system (which started with the N770 and
> > progress through the N800 and N810) is the N900 which is now a phone
> > as well as an internet table.  This also, I'm told, runs Emacs.
>
> Great idea :-)
>
> Are there packages for nokia n800 running OS 2008 ? I happen to have one
> such device that could very well be used for this instead of collection
> dust ;)
>
> I've found a package for emacs 22
> (http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml)
> but that all seems old and requires dependencies on unabailable packages
> (libxaw).

These are a few links I collected when I got my n800:

*** nokia n800 emacs links					      :nokia:

    - emacs on maemo :: http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml

    - installation of emacs22 :: http://djcbflux.blogspot.com/2008/02/waiting-for-22.html

    - list of repositories :: http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4&sort=hits&show_pck=256

    [2009-06-28 Sun 16:27]

All the libraries for emacs are available but you do need to search
around.  You should check out the repository search site at
http://www.gronmayer.com/it/

> Also emacs 22 is a bit too old maybe ?

No, I don't believe so (but I'm Carsten will tell us otherwise) as I
believe that all coding takes into account the differences between 22
and 23.x.

> Any hints would be welcome.

I would look at maemo.org, especially talk.maemo.org which is a very
comprehensive forum and wiki.maemo.org.

I found the N800 very usable with emacs, especially for capturing org
notes, but eventually wanted an actual keyboard for using email
(wanderlust in Emacs) so I got an N810 as well.  Both worked very well
and I used one or the other daily until a couple of months ago when I
got myself an Android phone.  The phone is not as good for org [1]
but is much better for on-the-move email because of 3G+wifi versus
wifi alone.

Hope this helps!

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  yet: I'm hoping for MobileOrg for Android to
meet my needs eventually; I believe emacs is also possible for this
phone but I haven't tried yet

@ 2010-08-29 16:11         ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-08-29 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:46:23 +0200, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Are there packages for nokia n800 running OS 2008 ? I happen to have one
>> such device that could very well be used for this instead of collection
>> dust ;)
>>
>> I've found a package for emacs 22
>> (http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml)
>> but that all seems old and requires dependencies on unabailable packages
>> (libxaw).
>
> These are a few links I collected when I got my n800:
>

> *** nokia n800 emacs links					      :nokia:
>
>     - emacs on maemo :: http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml
>
>     - installation of emacs22 :: http://djcbflux.blogspot.com/2008/02/waiting-for-22.html
>
>     - list of repositories :: http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4&sort=hits&show_pck=256
>
>     [2009-06-28 Sun 16:27]

SNIP

> I found the N800 very usable with emacs, especially for capturing org
> notes, but eventually wanted an actual keyboard for using email
> (wanderlust in Emacs) so I got an N810 as well.

SNIP

> Hope this helps!

Thanks for these links.

After some search and experimenting with emacs maemo packages, I was a
bit frustrated, all being quite old, and some problems not well
documented, as on how to use some virtual keyboard apps, etc.

I finally noticed some "Easy Debian" [0] mentions in some forum posts, and
it seems this may offer an interesting solution to run Debian packages
of recent emacs and org-mode (and even git for sync-ing my notes) over
the n800 maemo system (chrooted). I'm testing / tuning it at the moment.

 [0] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/easy-deb-chroot/

Hope this will be a good mobile org-mode device setup.

Best regards,