On Wed, Feb 09 2011, John Hendy wrote: > From skimming the website and org-contacts.el, is the main advantage that it > can search multiple files as well as integrate with gnus? I don't use gnus > (can't access personal email via pop/imap from behind work firewall) and so > that feature isn't wholly attractive. It looks like I could use the remember > template as well for my current method. Is there something else that you > would put forth as the primary benefits of this system? I'm quite interested > in it. Not yet. I'm working with Bastien to integrate a set of patches so the `org-contacts' function will print contacts in a better way. They will probably be more at the time come, we'll see. > A few other questions: > -- can you add additional fields? It looks like I could keep repeating the > pattern in your .el like so: > ,----- > |(defcustom org-contacts-SOME-NAME-property "SOME-NAME" > | "Name of the property for contact email address." > | :type 'string > | :group 'org-contacts) > `----- You add what you want. Org-contacts does not care at all. It just use some fields like EMAIL for Gnus completion, so it has to know it. Other fields are up to your choices. > -- I will often need to look up a contact at work and reproduce it in an > email. It would be nice to standardize the order of the properties and then > have a way to "export" the whole contact into the kill-ring for pasting into > email format. Do you think something like that could be integrated? For > example 'M-x export-selected-contact' would take the highlighted area and > create: > > ,----- > | Name > | Title > | Company > | Email > | Phone > `----- > > And perhaps one could define the fields for export (I wouldn't, for example, > hardly ever need to export the address and my notes about the > contact). That would be easy. Maybe a vcard export even? > Just my thoughts! I was very excited to see this in my inbox and look > around. I'm assuming with the right fields, my current system would already > be in the right syntax to integrate with this, so I'm interested to hear > your answers to the above. I think so, yes. Org-contacts let you be free about how you manage your contacts, so it should adapt to your current organization. -- Julien Danjou ❱ http://julien.danjou.info