[...] > I agree - I have been thinking (unfortunately mostly only thinking) > about it and it seems to me that many of the pieces are there, but there > is a non-trivial amount of work to do this and do it right: > > o icalendar.el should be the basis of this, but unfortunately, it is too > closely tied to the diary (and is incomplete or buggy in various > ways). it would indeed be nice to have an Emacs solution to the google -> org step. [...] > o These converters are ripe for what Kernighan and Plauger call a > "left-corner" development approach: just bite the smallest useful > subset and add features as needed, deliberately and carefully. Both > the current implementation of org-icalendar and Eric F.'s awk script > would be useful in this respect: they basically cover the basic > functionality needed (but perhaps not completely, as Philipp points > out). In some sense, this is indeed my modus operandum but it's not necessarily the best approach after a while... > BTW, the reason I've become interested in this is that recently I > started being bombarded with meeting invitations generated from (what > else?) M$ Outlook. My former method of adding the invitations to my > Org yes, I am seeing the same thing; I would love to have an automated or semi-automated procedure to take these things in gnus and create a capture event. I look forward to seeing what you have been up to in this respect! [...] > turns-you-to-stone-if-you-look-at-it-ugly) and there are bugs (the most > serious of which is the icalendar timezone stuff that I referred to in a > recent thread). I'm trying to fixg the bugs and am working on the > back-end usability stuff in order to survive the onslaught - but the > icalendar stuff in the middle is likely to remain unspeakably ugly in > the foreseeable future - I just have no time for it. time zones are a nightmare, especially with respect to Google. > So if anybody is interested, I hope this is useful as a starting > point. Very interested and happy to contribute as much as I can! -- : Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 : using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.391.gfaccb.dirty)