* Trouble with ordered list start number
@ 2011-06-25 13:37 William Beard
From: William Beard @ 2011-06-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
I see in the manual
http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html
that with ordered lists, you can for example start one with the number
20 by starting the "text of the item with [@20]"
I assume this means I can just have a newline that looks like this

[@20] some text for this item

and hit M-Return after typing the text for the item, and have a `21. '
appear below it. But when I do, it gives me the top header (`*')
instead.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Chris

(Org-mode version 7.4)

* Re: Trouble with ordered list start number
@ 2011-06-25 14:29 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-06-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Beard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Beard <wcbeard10@gmail.com> writes:

> I see in the manual
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html
> that with ordered lists, you can for example start one with the number
> 20 by starting the "text of the item with [@20]"
> I assume this means I can just have a newline that looks like this
>
> [@20] some text for this item
>
> and hit M-Return after typing the text for the item, and have a `21. '
> appear below it. But when I do, it gives me the top header (`*')
> instead.
> What am I doing wrong?

It needs to be a list.

  1. [@20] some text for this item

then M-RET turns it into this

  20. [@20] some text for this item
  21. <point here>

--
Bernt

* Re: Trouble with ordered list start number
@ 2011-06-26  5:45   ` William Beard
From: William Beard @ 2011-06-26  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Bernt Hansen

Excellent, thank you.