* getting a tilde into LaTeX export
@ 2011-11-11 10:46 Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-11 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm sure this has been answered many times but I can't find it…

I want to get a tilde into my LaTeX export -- not a LaTeX-escaped tilde,
but a plain tilde, that will turn into a small non-breaking space in
LaTeX. Everything I've tried in org exports as either "\~" or "\~{}" in
LaTeX, where all I want is plain "~". Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2011-11-07 on pellet

* Re: getting a tilde into LaTeX export
@ 2011-11-11 10:52 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-11-11 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:46, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been answered many times but I can't find it…
>
> I want to get a tilde into my LaTeX export -- not a LaTeX-escaped tilde,
> but a plain tilde, that will turn into a small non-breaking space in
> LaTeX. Everything I've tried in org exports as either "\~" or "\~{}" in
> LaTeX, where all I want is plain "~". Can someone help me out?

Try \sim.

--
Suvayu

* Re: getting a tilde into LaTeX export
@ 2011-11-11 11:01 ` Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2011-11-11 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I'm sure this has been answered many times but I can't find it…

> I want to get a tilde into my LaTeX export -- not a LaTeX-escaped tilde,
> but a plain tilde, that will turn into a small non-breaking space in
> LaTeX. Everything I've tried in org exports as either "\~" or "\~{}" in
> LaTeX, where all I want is plain "~". Can someone help me out?

hello \nbsp goodbye

=> hello ~ goodbye

Although I can't figure out a way of having no extra whitespace
on both sides of the ~.

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: getting a tilde into LaTeX export
@ 2011-11-11 11:02 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-11 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 11, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I'm sure this has been answered many times but I can't find it…
>
> I want to get a tilde into my LaTeX export -- not a LaTeX-escaped tilde,
> but a plain tilde, that will turn into a small non-breaking space in
> LaTeX. Everything I've tried in org exports as either "\~" or "\~{}" in
> LaTeX, where all I want is plain "~". Can someone help me out?

Erik\nbsp{}Abrahamsen

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: getting a tilde into LaTeX export
@ 2011-11-11 13:14   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-11 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 11 2011, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this has been answered many times but I can't find it…
>>
>> I want to get a tilde into my LaTeX export -- not a LaTeX-escaped tilde,
>> but a plain tilde, that will turn into a small non-breaking space in
>> LaTeX. Everything I've tried in org exports as either "\~" or "\~{}" in
>> LaTeX, where all I want is plain "~". Can someone help me out?
>
> Erik\nbsp{}Abrahamsen

Thanks for all the quick answers! \nbsp{} did the trick perfectly.