* Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-13 13:54 Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can I use the bib file path using tilde (~) when doing latex export ?

for example, Why can not I use \bibliography{~/Bib/RefAbv} ?
where my bibliography file name is RefAbv.bib
It gives error : undefined citation

I do not want to use \bibliography{/home/USERNAME/Bib/RefAbv}

I use dropbox. So if I can use tilde , then synchronzation is perfect. I
can work in any machine without changing the path of my bib files.

Also I do not want to put the bib file in my working directory.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-13 14:11 ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-10-13 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sanjib,

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can I use the bib file path using tilde (~) when doing latex export ?
>
> for example, Why can not I use \bibliography{~/Bib/RefAbv} ?
> where my bibliography file name is RefAbv.bib
> It gives error : undefined citation
>
> I do not want to use \bibliography{/home/USERNAME/Bib/RefAbv}
>
> I use dropbox. So if I can use tilde , then synchronzation is perfect. I can
> work in any machine without changing the path of my bib files.
>
> Also I do not want to put the bib file in my working directory.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 12.04

Its more of bibtex not finding than org-export problem.

I have this in my .bashrc (~/git/bib is the folder I put my citations)

export BIBINPUTS=".:$HOME/git/bib:"
export BSTINPUTS=".:$HOME/git/bib:"
export TEXINPUTS=".:$HOME/git/bib:"

And in my org file I don't even give any path name..
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{bibfile}

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-13 14:36   ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-13 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you for the reply.

I have put the following in my .bashrc file

export BIBINPUTS=".:$HOME/bib:"
export BSTINPUTS=".:$HOME/bst:"
export TEXINPUTS=".:$HOME/bib:"

where bib and bst are my two folders whose actual path are
/home/USERNAME/bib for example.

But it is still not working.

Thanks

[I did one mistake, initially instead of placing these in .bashrc, i had
run those in terminal. Is it causing any problem?]

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

@ 2012-10-13 17:17     ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The following link says Emacs doesn't read .bashrc at all

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2006-01/msg00085.html

any idea ?

My BIBINPUTS is not working.

@ 2012-10-13 17:40     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-10-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sanjib,

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> writes:

> export BIBINPUTS=".:$HOME/bib:"
> export BSTINPUTS=".:$HOME/bst:"
> export TEXINPUTS=".:$HOME/bib:"

Actually TEXINPUTS variable is for tex sources (classes, packages ..). (not
relevant to the current topic)

> where bib and bst are my two folders whose actual path are /home/USERNAME/bib
> for example.
>
> But it is still not working.

may be the environment variables didn't get exported. The easiest way to
update is logout from the computer, login again and start emacs.

> [I did one mistake, initially instead of placing these in .bashrc, i had run
> those in terminal. Is it causing any problem?]

I don't think so.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-13 18:10       ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"The easiest way to update is logout from the computer, login again and
start emacs."

I did that. Still not working :(

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

@ 2012-10-14  1:54         ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-10-14  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sanjib,

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "The easiest way to update is logout from the computer, login again and start
> emacs."
>
> I did that. Still not working :(

First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?

in the terminal
echo $BIBINPUTS

and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within Emacs
evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:' or
with `M-x eval-expression')

(getenv "BIBINPUTS")

If you don't get what you set in your .bashrc, means the shell in Emacs is not
getting BIBINPUTS variable.

May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs

(setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")

BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-14  4:57         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-14  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, emacs-orgmode

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "The easiest way to update is logout from the computer, login again and start emacs."
>
> I did that. Still not working :(

When you have problems like this, you need to take it in small
steps.

o What shell are you using? Yagnesh's recommendation assumes
  that you are running bash as your shell (presumably on some
  Linux/Unix system). Is this assumption correct?

o Assuming you are using bash, there are two relevant initialization
  files: a login shell sources $HOME/.profile and any shell (be it a login
  shell or one that is started as a descendant of your login shell) sources
  $HOME/.bashrc.

o Adding

  export FOO=bar

  to such an initialization file causes the variable FOO to be defined (with value "bar")
  and to be exported (i.e. it is available in the environment of *any* subprocess of
  this shell).

o So log out and log back in[fn:2], start a shell and at the prompt say

  echo $FOO

  Does it say "bar"? If not, don't go any further: the problem has nothing to do with
  emacs (note that this is the first time I mention emacs).

o If this part is OK, start emacs *from this shell*: it should inherit the variable.
  You can check by evaluating this form:

  (getenv "FOO")

  Then the variable will also be available to any subprocesses started by emacs.

o In particular, if you define BIBINPUTS as Yagnesh suggests, then the bibtex invoked
  by the latex exporter under emacs will find the bib file where you told it.

o What can go wrong? The usual problem is that you use some graphical
  desktop environment and start emacs by clicking on some icon. Then
  the emacs process does not have a bash shell as its parent, so it does
  not inherit the exported variables. Try starting emacs from a bash
  command line.[fn:2]

Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] If you define it in .bashrc, you shouldn't have to log out and log
       back in: just start a new bash shell.

[fn:2] I prefer defining variables in my .profile and I have arranged
       for my .profile to be sourced by the appropriate initialization
       file of my graphical desktop environment, so I get it whether I
       log in at the console or through the graphical login. That
       way *every* process, no matter how it is started, has the
       variables available to it. I use .bashrc only for aliases (which
       I use very rarely, so most of the time I don't have a .bashrc
       file at all).

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-14  6:23           ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-14  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?
>
> in the terminal
> echo $BIBINPUTS

*Here is the output*

~$ echo $BIBINPUTS
.//:/home/USERNAME/bst//:.//:/home/USERNAME/bibFiles//:

> and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within
> Emacs
> evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:' or
> with `M-x eval-expression')

> (getenv "BIBINPUTS")

*OUTPUT* is: nil

> May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs

> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")

I will try this one

BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)

I am starting emacs from GUI mouse click. All the above tests are done only
with the .bashrc, i.e., after  removing the lines from .profile and .gnomerc

Thanks a lot.
-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

@ 2012-10-14  6:44           ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-14  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, emacs-orgmode

Hi Dokos,

o What shell are you using? Yagnesh's recommendation assumes
>   that you are running bash as your shell (presumably on some
>   Linux/Unix system). Is this assumption correct?

I am a normal Ubuntu (12.04) user, and recently started to use Emacs (Emacs
snapshot) and loving it very much. I am sorry that I do not understand what
is "Bash shell". I am starting my Emacs GTK either by right clicking on the
.org files or first opening the emacs GTK by clicking on icon.

Try starting emacs from a bash
>   command line.[fn:2]

Now I started emacs from terminal typing
$ emacs .
Now BIBINPUTS is working with BIBINPUTS lines in .bashrc only (I have
removed the BIBINPUTS lines from .profile, to test one by one)

THANKS A LOT. IT IS WORKING NOW :)

Do I then always need to start emacs from command line ? (I will try with
.profile)

=============================
The following reply was sent to Yagnesh. I am pasting it below as I
understand you also asked these questions.

> First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?
>>
>> in the terminal
>> echo $BIBINPUTS

> *Here is the output*
>
> ~$ echo $BIBINPUTS
> .//:/home/USERNAME/bst//:.//:/home/USERNAME/bibFiles//:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within
>> Emacs
>> evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:'
>> or
>> with `M-x eval-expression')

>> (getenv "BIBINPUTS")
>>

> *OUTPUT* is: nil
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs

>> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")
>>

> I will try this one

> BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)
>

> I am starting emacs from GUI mouse click. All the above tests are done
> only with the .bashrc, i.e., after  removing the lines from .profile and
> .gnomerc

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

@ 2012-10-14  7:28             ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2012-10-14  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
** Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-14 11:53:52 +0530]:

> Hi,
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?

>> in the terminal
>> echo $BIBINPUTS

> *Here is the output*

> ~$ echo $BIBINPUTS
> .//:/home/USERNAME/bst//:.//:/home/USERNAME/bibFiles//:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within
>> Emacs
>> evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:' or
>> with `M-x eval-expression')

>> (getenv "BIBINPUTS")

> *OUTPUT* is: nil
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs

>> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")

> I will try this one

> BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)

> I am starting emacs from GUI mouse click. All the above tests are done only
> with the .bashrc, i.e., after  removing the lines from .profile and .gnomerc

You use incorrert path for bibtex files, use
$HOME/texmf/bibtex/bib
this is the standard.

latex as well as bibtex searches for files in standard paths, like the one
above. If your files located in other places you have to set env.
variables (TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS). However setting env. variables is a
bit tricky. If one uses only terminal session it is enough to set
variables in apropriate RC files: bash uses ~/.bash_profile and
~/.bashrc depending on type of shell (login or not), for zsh see manual.
When run graphical session it depends what DE and DM are used. GNOME,
Unity launched by gdm or lightdm read user settings from ~/.profile

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
		-- Theodore Roosevelt

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-14  9:42           ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-10-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sanjib Sikder

Hello Nicholas,

Very good explanation. Its like reading a standard textbook.

Thank you very much for your continuous help to org community.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
@ 2012-10-14 15:49               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> ** Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-14 11:53:52 +0530]:
>
>> Hi,
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?
>
>>> in the terminal
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> echo $BIBINPUTS

>> *Here is the output*
>
>> ~$ echo $BIBINPUTS
>> .//:/home/USERNAME/bst//:.//:/home/USERNAME/bibFiles//:
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within
>>> Emacs
>>> evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:' or
>>> with `M-x eval-expression')
>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (getenv "BIBINPUTS")
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

>> *OUTPUT* is: nil
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs
>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

>> I will try this one
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>> BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)
>

>> I am starting emacs from GUI mouse click. All the above tests are done only
>> with the .bashrc, i.e., after  removing the lines from .profile and .gnomerc
>
> You use incorrert path for bibtex files, use
> $HOME/texmf/bibtex/bib
> this is the standard.

I don't know which TeX distribution Ubuntu uses.  If it is one of the
distributions with kpathsea, then "kpsepath bib" should list standard
paths that will be searched for bibtex files.  My system shows nine
locations, including three under my home directory.  These locations
work regardless of how emacs is started (from a shell or the gui).

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye