* org-agenda-show-log, org-timeline bugs
@ 2013-02-04  8:33 Derek Upham
From: Derek Upham @ 2013-02-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried running org-timeline on an Org file with lots of timestamped
TODO -> DONE state changes, and didn't see the matches I was expecting.
While poking around, I found two problems.

1. `org-timeline' isn't setting the text properties necessary to refresh
the timeline buffer.  This means that none of the special keys to update
the display actually work.  Here's the `org-timeline' version:

    (add-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) '(org-agenda-type timeline))

Here's the same chunk in `org-agenda-list' for comparison:

    (add-text-properties (point-min) (point-max)
                         `(org-agenda-type agenda
                           org-last-args (,arg ,start-day ,span)
                           org-redo-cmd ,org-agenda-redo-command
                           org-series-cmd ,org-cmd))

2. Even when the `org-timeline' function has refresh set up properly,
`org-agenda-log-mode' (via the `l' hotkey) doesn't work.  It looks like
the function changes the buffer-local copy of the `org-agenda-show-log'
variable, but the refresh code looks at the global version of the
variable (possibly because the refresh is happening through eval?).  In
order to see the log entries, you need to set `org-agenda-show-log'
outside of the timeline buffer (using `setq').

Can someone take a look at these?  This is all with the latest sources
from the repo.  Thanks.

Derek

--
Derek Upham
sand@blarg.net

* Re: org-agenda-show-log, org-timeline bugs
@ 2013-02-07 15:00 ` Derek Upham
From: Derek Upham @ 2013-02-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can someone please verify these bugs?  Thanks.

Derek

@ 2013-02-13 11:54   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-13 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Upham; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Derek,

Derek Upham <sand@blarg.net> writes:

> Can someone please verify these bugs?  Thanks.

Sorry, no special effort is made to fix bugs in org-timeline because
its future is uncertain: there is significant overlap between this
feature from the early days of Org, and the general agenda views
mechanism.

We'll make a decision about org-timeline before releasing Org 8.0:
if it stays, let's fix it.  If it goes, let's forget it!

Thanks,

PS: Patches are always welcome as an encouragement to keep it.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-agenda-show-log, org-timeline bugs
@ 2013-02-17  0:54     ` Derek Upham
From: Derek Upham @ 2013-02-17  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Sorry, no special effort is made to fix bugs in org-timeline because
> its future is uncertain: there is significant overlap between this
> feature from the early days of Org, and the general agenda views
> mechanism.
>
> We'll make a decision about org-timeline before releasing Org 8.0:
> if it stays, let's fix it.  If it goes, let's forget it!

I found these bugs when I was using org-timeline to get an overview of
work done during the past several months.  The rest of the agenda code
is forward-facing, so looking at historical data is one area where there
is no overlap.  Whether or not it needs to be part of the agenda
framework is another matter.

Derek

--

@ 2013-04-13  9:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Upham; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Derek,

Derek Upham <sand@blarg.net> writes:

> I tried running org-timeline on an Org file with lots of timestamped
> TODO -> DONE state changes, and didn't see the matches I was expecting.
> While poking around, I found two problems.

I finally fixed those.  Thanks for reporting this.

--
 Bastien