* latex and bibliography?
@ 2013-06-15 13:52 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

here is a minimal example of what I thought should work but does not:

- org-bibtest.org
,--------------------------
| * chapter
| ** section
| \cite{west1995bayesian}
| ** section
| \bibliographystyle{plain}
| \bibliography{bibtest}
`--------------------------

- org-bibtest.bib
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| @article{west1995bayesian,
|   title={Bayesian inference in cyclical component dynamic linear models},
|   author={West, Mike},
|   journal={Journal of the American Statistical Association},
|   volume={90},
|   number={432},
|   pages={1301--1312},
|   year={1995},
|   publisher={Taylor \& Francis Group}
| }
`--------------------------------------------------------------------------

=> exports to ASCII buffer:

,---------------------------------------------------
|                            _________________
|
|                               ORG-BIBTEST
|
|                             Thorsten Jolitz
|                            _________________
|

| Table of Contents
| _________________
|
| 1 chapter
| .. 1.1 section
| .. 1.2 section
|

| 1 chapter
| =========
|
| 1.1 section
| ~~~~~~~~~~~
|
|   \cite{west1995bayesian}
|

| 1.2 section
| ~~~~~~~~~~~
|
|   \bibliographystyle{plain} \bibliography{bibtest}
`---------------------------------------------------

Is that wrong use or am I not up-to-date?

PS
using
,--------------------------------
| * chapter
| ** section
| #+LATEX:\cite{west1995bayesian}
| ** section
| #+begin_latex
| \bibliographystyle{plain}
| \bibliography{bibtest}
| #+end_latex
`--------------------------------

did not work either:
,---------------------------------------------

`---------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: latex and bibliography?
@ 2013-06-15 14:15 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> - org-bibtest.org
> ,--------------------------
> | * chapter
> | ** section
> | \cite{west1995bayesian}
> | ** section
> | \bibliographystyle{plain}
> | \bibliography{bibtest}
> `--------------------------

this should of course be

,---------------------------
| \bibliography{org-bibtest}
`---------------------------

since the file is
> - org-bibtest.bib

but it does not change the outcome.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: latex and bibliography?
@ 2013-06-16  3:28 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-16  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> here is a minimal example of what I thought should work but does not:
>
> - org-bibtest.org
> ,--------------------------
> | * chapter
> | ** section
> | \cite{west1995bayesian}
> | ** section
> | \bibliographystyle{plain}
> | \bibliography{bibtest}
> `--------------------------
>
> - org-bibtest.bib
> ,--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | @article{west1995bayesian,
> |   title={Bayesian inference in cyclical component dynamic linear models},
> |   author={West, Mike},
> |   journal={Journal of the American Statistical Association},
> |   volume={90},
> |   number={432},
> |   pages={1301--1312},
> |   year={1995},
> |   publisher={Taylor \& Francis Group}
> | }
> `--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> => exports to ASCII buffer:

I don't know much about references and bibliographies in org (there have
been some discussions recently on the list I think but I haven't
followed them), but AFAIK the \bibliography stuff is just text as far as
org is concerned and is passed verbatim to the output file. It just
happens that when the output file is processed through latex and
friends, they can make some sense out of it. The rest of the world (org
included and all its exporters) remains blissfully ignorant - that's my
story in any case and until somebody proves me wrong, I'm sticking with
it.

--
Nick

* Re: latex and bibliography?
@ 2013-06-16 13:50   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-16 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know much about references and bibliographies in org (there have
> been some discussions recently on the list I think but I haven't
> followed them), but AFAIK the \bibliography stuff is just text as far as
> org is concerned and is passed verbatim to the output file. It just
> happens that when the output file is processed through latex and
> friends, they can make some sense out of it. The rest of the world (org
> included and all its exporters) remains blissfully ignorant - that's my
> story in any case and until somebody proves me wrong, I'm sticking with
> it.

It's pretty much true.  There's a org-bibtex or an ox-bibtex.  Neither
work to my satisfaction.  The best solution that I've tried is still
links (there was a new solutions posed recently (on github) and
there's Zotero-integration as well, which I haven't tried).  Using
\cite{.} directly is frail as it can break over lines.

–Rasmus

--
Don't panic!!!

* Re: latex and bibliography?
@ 2013-06-17  6:54     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-17  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> I don't know much about references and bibliographies in org (there have
>> been some discussions recently on the list I think but I haven't
>> followed them), but AFAIK the \bibliography stuff is just text as far as
>> org is concerned and is passed verbatim to the output file. It just
>> happens that when the output file is processed through latex and
>> friends, they can make some sense out of it. The rest of the world (org
>> included and all its exporters) remains blissfully ignorant - that's my
>> story in any case and until somebody proves me wrong, I'm sticking with
>> it.
>
> It's pretty much true.  There's a org-bibtex or an ox-bibtex.  Neither
> work to my satisfaction.  The best solution that I've tried is still
> links (there was a new solutions posed recently (on github) and
> there's Zotero-integration as well, which I haven't tried).  Using
> \cite{.} directly is frail as it can break over lines.

I see, thanks!

--
cheers,
Thorsten