* ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-07-31 22:32 Alexis
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alexis @ 2014-07-31 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

i'm pleased to announce the initial release of org-vcard, a package for
Org-based export and import of vCards:

* Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.

  org-vcard comes with a built-in contacts style called 'flat', which
  adheres to org-contacts' method of structuring contacts and contact
  information. It not only supports the properties specified in
  org-contacts.el, but many other properties as well.

* Basic support for vCard 4.0, 3.0 and 2.1.

  org-vcard is working towards full compliance with the vCard 4.0 (RFC
  6350), 3.0 (RFC 2426 and RFC 4770) and 2.1 specifications.

* New contacts style: 'tree'.

  org-vcard introduces a new style for Org contacts, called 'tree'.

* Highly customisable, via Emacs' customize interface.

  Modify existing contact styles; change the labels used to map contact
  details in org-mode to various vCard properties/types, or add new
  ones. Create completely new contact styles by plugging in your own
  code to handle export and import.

Further details are available on the GitHub page:

https://github.com/flexibeast/org-vcard

The package can be installed from MELPA, or downloaded and installed
manually.

Hope people find it useful!

Alexis.

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-01  5:15 ` Feng Shu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Feng Shu @ 2014-08-01  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:
> * New contacts style: 'tree'.
>
>   org-vcard introduces a new style for Org contacts, called 'tree'.

I like store the contacts like "tree", may be let org-contacts recognizes
this "tree" is a important thing, are there any plans?

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-01  6:01 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-08-01  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> i'm pleased to announce the initial release of org-vcard, a package for
> Org-based export and import of vCards:
>
> * Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.

Excuse me for dumb question, but is this package meant to be something
like org-contacts NG (something which we would really like to have)?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even the intelligent are bewildered in determining what is action
and what is inaction. Now I shall explain to you what action is,

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-02  1:12 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-02  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gour wrote:

> Excuse me for dumb question, but is this package meant to be something
> like org-contacts NG (something which we would really like to have)?

i don't think that's a dumb question at all!

My original motivation for developing org-vcard was to create part of a
pipeline for synchronising contacts between Org and my smartphone. My
intended plan for this pipeline is:

1. Create org-vcard to at least enable easy export and import of vCard
files between my smartphone and Org.

2. Using org-vcard as a library, create org-carddav (which i hope to
start working on shortly) in order to be able to synchronise contacts
stored in Org with arbitrary CardDAV servers.

3. Using org-carddav, set up a way of synchronising my Org-based
contacts with my smartphone-based contacts.

i'm taking this approach because:

(a) The MobileOrg release process currently appears to be stalled. A few
pull requests i've submitted to the project, one of which was intended
as the first step in making MobileOrg org-contacts.el-aware, have been
accepted, but there has been no new release including these
changes/fixes.

(b) (i) i feel org-contacts.el, as it stands, is too inflexible. It's only
aware of a relatively small number of properties, and extending this
requires directly messing around in the org-contacts.el code. i feel
that this has made it difficult to expand the list of properties
available, as it basically requires everyone to agree on exactly what
properties to add, and how.

(b) (ii) Further to (b) (i), i feel people should be able to define
their own properties, in their preferred language, without having to
write code for this.

(b) (iii) More generally, previous discussions on this topic on this
list have convinced me that it's folly to expect everyone to agree on a
single style for contacts in Org, and that what is needed is a system
that can easily accommodate the development of new contact styles,
potentially allowing an ecosystem/marketplace of styles to develop, with
particularly popular styles being considered for inclusion by default in
the system.

Given all the above, yes, i would like to see org-vcard become the basis
for an "Org contacts NG" system. (Which, to answer Feng Shu's question,
would mean that the 'tree' style would be available by default in such a
system.) Whether to actually take this approach, however, is something
i'll let the community decide. :-)

@ 2014-08-03  5:53 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2014-08-03  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm pleased to announce the initial release of org-vcard, a package for
> Org-based export and import of vCards:
>
> * Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
>
>   org-vcard comes with a built-in contacts style called 'flat', which
>   adheres to org-contacts' method of structuring contacts and contact
>   information. It not only supports the properties specified in
>   org-contacts.el, but many other properties as well.
>
> * Basic support for vCard 4.0, 3.0 and 2.1.
>
>   org-vcard is working towards full compliance with the vCard 4.0 (RFC
>   6350), 3.0 (RFC 2426 and RFC 4770) and 2.1 specifications.
>
> * New contacts style: 'tree'.

Is it possible support this style?

#+begin_comment
* People
** Joan Smith
:PROPERTIES:
:KIND: individual
:FIELDTYPE: name
:END:
*** Cell
:PROPERTIES:
:FIELDTYPE: cell-folder
:END:
**** 0000 999 991
**** 0000 999 992
**** 0000 999 993
**** 0000 999 994
**** 0000 999 995
*** Email
:PROPERTIES:
:FIELDTYPE: emails-folder
:END:
**** address1@hidden
**** address2@hidden
**** address3@hidden
**** address4@hidden
**** address5@hidden

#+end_comment

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-03 22:37 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2014-08-03 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> * New contacts style: 'tree'.

Is this "tree" style possible?

#+begin-comment
* People
** Joan Smith
:PROPERTIES:
:KIND: individual
:FIELDTYPE: name
:END:
*** Cell
:PROPERTIES:
:FIELDTYPE: cells-folder
:END:
**** 0000 999 991
**** 0000 999 992
**** 0000 999 993
**** 0000 999 994
**** 0000 999 995
*** Email
:PROPERTIES:
:FIELDTYPE: emails-folder
:END:
**** address1@hidden
**** address2@hidden
**** address3@hidden
**** address4@hidden
**** address5@hidden

#+end-comment

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-03 23:23 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-03 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Feng Shu writes:

> Is it possible support this style?

In general, i'd prefer not to implement support /myself/ for everyone's
preferred style; the idea is that people implement their own style,
including:

* the relevant mapping structure which maps Org properties to vCard
properties/types;

* the org-vcard-export-from-[new style] function; and

* the org-vcard-import-to-[new style] function.

And, preferably, new tests to accompany the new style. :-)

Then, if a new style turns out to be particularly popular, i'll consider
including it in org-vcard by default.

Having said all that, as a proof-of-concept, i'll try to create a
mapping and export function for the style you describe, for vCard 4.0,
and will post the relevant code here. :-)

@ 2014-08-06  8:39 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-08-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> i don't think that's a dumb question at all!

Good. ;)

> My original motivation for developing org-vcard was to create part of a
> pipeline for synchronising contacts between Org and my smartphone.

That would be great!!

> (b) (i) i feel org-contacts.el, as it stands, is too inflexible. It's only
> aware of a relatively small number of properties, and extending this
> requires directly messing around in the org-contacts.el code. i feel
> that this has made it difficult to expand the list of properties
> available, as it basically requires everyone to agree on exactly what
> properties to add, and how.

I agree, but let me ask you what do you think about BBDB-v3? Many people
like it, but I must admit I haven't take closer look at it?

However, I wonder whether it's flexible enough to define one's own
properties of format of one's contact data and what about syncing?

> (b) (ii) Further to (b) (i), i feel people should be able to define
> their own properties, in their preferred language, without having to
> write code for this.

That's noble feature, indeed.

> (b) (iii) More generally, previous discussions on this topic on this
> list have convinced me that it's folly to expect everyone to agree on a
> single style for contacts in Org, and that what is needed is a system
> that can easily accommodate the development of new contact styles,
> potentially allowing an ecosystem/marketplace of styles to develop, with
> particularly popular styles being considered for inclusion by default in
> the system.

Sound very good and it seems it's obvious that such nice app as org-mode
needs some improvement in the way how the contacts are handled.

> Given all the above, yes, i would like to see org-vcard become the basis
> for an "Org contacts NG" system. (Which, to answer Feng Shu's question,
> would mean that the 'tree' style would be available by default in such a
> system.) Whether to actually take this approach, however, is something
> i'll let the community decide. :-)

I wish you all the best hoping org-mode users will find decent solution
for handling contacts soon.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī,

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-06  9:54   ` Alexis
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-06  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gour writes:

> what do you think about BBDB-v3? Many people like it, but I must admit
> I haven't take closer look at it?

i haven't tried using BBDB-v3, only BBDB-v2, several years ago. i found
the latter, hm, 'clunky'. (Similar to how, until the advent of mu4e, i
found no Emacs-based MUA with maildir support which i found as usable as
Mutt.) And iirc, part of the problem might have been lack of (full)
support for Australian phone numbers and/or postcodes, which at the time
i really didn't want to wrestle with.

In any case, org-contacts.el has nowwhetted my appetite for an Org-based
contacts solution - given the slogan "Your life in plain text", contacts
management certainly seems to me to fall within Org's remit. :-)

> However, I wonder whether it's flexible enough to define one's own
> properties of format of one's contact data and what about syncing?

i've just had a quick scan through the BBDB-v3 source, and
superficially, it looks like the properties are hard-coded.

Regarding syncing, the BBDB page on SourceForge suggests that existing
support for this might be rather limited - i only see mention of
PalmPilot syncing. i would certainly be interested to know if anyone's
created CardDAV support for BBDB - given that Google Contacts can be
accessed via CardDAV, and given (what i imagine to be) the large number
of people syncing their Android phone's contacts with Google Contacts,
such support might well be in demand!

> I wish you all the best hoping org-mode users will find decent solution
> for handling contacts soon.

Thank you! i'm hoping my ongoing work with org-vcard might eventually
contribute towards this. :-)

@ 2014-08-06 16:21     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Gour writes:
>
>> what do you think about BBDB-v3? Many people like it, but I must admit
>> I haven't take closer look at it?
>
> i haven't tried using BBDB-v3, only BBDB-v2, several years ago. i found
> the latter, hm, 'clunky'. (Similar to how, until the advent of mu4e, i
> found no Emacs-based MUA with maildir support which i found as usable as
> Mutt.) And iirc, part of the problem might have been lack of (full)
> support for Australian phone numbers and/or postcodes, which at the time
> i really didn't want to wrestle with.
>
> In any case, org-contacts.el has nowwhetted my appetite for an Org-based
> contacts solution - given the slogan "Your life in plain text", contacts
> management certainly seems to me to fall within Org's remit. :-)
>
>> However, I wonder whether it's flexible enough to define one's own
>> properties of format of one's contact data and what about syncing?
>
> i've just had a quick scan through the BBDB-v3 source, and
> superficially, it looks like the properties are hard-coded.

If by properties you mean arbitrary key-value data, BBDB does indeed
support that -- properties are known as "fields", and "xfields" are
user-designated fields. Labels and values can be arbitrarily designated
by the user, and with a bit of coding you can format them in unusual
ways, or have them "do things".

@ 2014-08-06 16:28       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-06 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> If by properties you mean arbitrary key-value data, BBDB does indeed
> support that -- properties are known as "fields", and "xfields" are
> user-designated fields. Labels and values can be arbitrarily
> designated by the user, and with a bit of coding you can format them
> in unusual ways, or have them "do things".

Ah okay - thanks for clearing that up!

@ 2014-08-06 16:44         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-06 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>> If by properties you mean arbitrary key-value data, BBDB does indeed
>> support that -- properties are known as "fields", and "xfields" are
>> user-designated fields. Labels and values can be arbitrarily
>> designated by the user, and with a bit of coding you can format them
>> in unusual ways, or have them "do things".
>
> Ah okay - thanks for clearing that up!

Not that it really changes the discussion :) But I do feel the need to
stick up for BBDB...

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-06 17:21     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-08-06 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

On 6 Aug 2014, flexibeast@gmail.com wrote:

> i haven't tried using BBDB-v3, only BBDB-v2, several years ago. i
> found the latter, hm, 'clunky'. (Similar to how, until the advent of
> mu4e, i found no Emacs-based MUA with maildir support which i found as
> usable as Mutt.)

Personally I find no MUA as usable and feature rich as Gnus. ;-)

> And iirc, part of the problem might have been lack of (full) support
> for Australian phone numbers and/or postcodes, which at the time i
> really didn't want to wrestle with.

I am mainly talking about bbdb3 now, since I can't remember the variable
names in bbdb2. For phone numbers one can use free form style by calling
bbdb-insert-field with a prefix or change the variable bbdb-phone-style:

,----[ bbdb-phone-style ]
| bbdb-phone-style is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
| Its value is nanp
|
| Documentation:
| Phone numbering plan assumed by BBDB.
| The value 'nanp refers to the North American Numbering Plan.
| The value nil refers to a free-style numbering plan.
|
| You can have both styles of phone number in your database by providing a
| prefix argument to the command `bbdb-insert-field'.
`----

As for postal codes, either turn the checking off by setting
bbdb-check-postcode to nil or change the variable bbdb-legal-postcodes:

,----[ bbdb-legal-postcodes ]
| bbdb-legal-postcodes is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
| Its value is
| ("^$" "^[ 	\n]*[0-9][0-9]?[0-9]?[0-9]?[0-9]?[0-9]?[ 	\n]*$" "^[ 	\n]*\\([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ 	\n]*-?[ 	\n]*\\([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]?\\)[ 	\n]*$" "^[ 	\n]*\\([A-Za-z0-9]+\\)[ 	\n]+\\([A-Za-z0-9]+\\)[ 	\n]*$" "^[ 	\n]*\\([A-Z]+\\)[ 	\n]*-?[ 	\n]*\\([0-9]+ ?[A-Z]*\\)[ 	\n]*$" "^[ 	\n]*\\([A-Z]+\\)[ 	\n]*-?[ 	\n]*\\([0-9]+\\)[ 	\n]+\\([0-9]+\\)[ 	\n]*$")
|

| Documentation:
| List of regexps that match legal postcodes.
| Whether this is used at all depends on the variable `bbdb-check-postcode'.
`----

Charles

--
I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't generate revenue.
(Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-07  7:34       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-07  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan writes:

> Personally I find no MUA as usable and feature rich as Gnus. ;-)

Heh! i didn't mind Gnus as a news reader, despite some initial
challenges in getting it set up for that; but i gave up trying to get it
working to my satisfaction as an MUA. It seems to be a very capable
package overall, but i decided to stick with Mutt after a number of
hours wrestling with Gnus (and its user manual, which i often found more
confusing than enlightening) to get even the basic functionality i
wanted. Later, and in contrast, i got basic functionality within about
an hour of installing mu4e; and i now have little incentive to try Gnus
again as an MUA. i'm more than willing to gradually and continually
tweak a system to better meet my needs, but i'm not likely to be able to
get to that point when even basic setup is such a struggle ....

But to keep this discussion more on topic :-), this issue has informed
how i've designed org-vcard - i want it to be as easy to use "out of the
box" as possible, including making it as easy as possible for users to
take advantage of its underlying flexibility[1]. This has taken more
work than it might otherwise have done, but i think it's the right
approach to take.

[1] i (and many others, it seems) found GNOME 3 problematic in this
regard. i don't use it myself, but have in the past supported users who
did, and i wasn't thrilled to find GNOME 3 had taken away GUI access to
various configuration options important to my users, rather than
e.g. hiding them in an "Advanced" section with "HERE BE DRAGONS!!!"
warnings when people try to access those options.

> I am mainly talking about bbdb3 now, since I can't remember the
> variable names in bbdb2. For phone numbers one can use free form style
> by calling bbdb-insert-field with a prefix or change the variable
> bbdb-phone-style
>
> [snip]
>
> As for postal codes, either turn the checking off by setting
> bbdb-check-postcode to nil or change the variable
> bbdb-legal-postcodes

*nod*

Still, i'm surprised there's no default support for Australian-style
phone numbers and postcodes; are there really that few Australians
making use of BBDB?

In any case, if some people are happy with a BBDB-based solution to
managing their contacts, that's fine with me! It's just that i want an
Org-based system for myself. :-)

@ 2014-08-18 19:03     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-08-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  6 Aug 2014 at 19:54, Alexis wrote:

[...]

> Regarding syncing, the BBDB page on SourceForge suggests that existing
> support for this might be rather limited - i only see mention of

There is a bbdb-vcard project at

    https://github.com/vgeddes/bbdb-vcard

I've used this only once, just to get my bbdb contacts on my phone, and
it seemed to work fine.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-237-gcc6aa4

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2015-01-21  8:58 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2015-01-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sub, 2014-08-02 at 11:12 +1000, Alexis wrote:

Hello Alexis,

I spent some time with Vim & Taskwarrior, but now returning back to Emacs &
org.

However, in order to have smooth syncing of my calendar(s) & contacts I
switched to Evolution in order to sync with my phone using DAVdroid via my own
instance of ownCloud.

Few days ago I also found out about http://orgzly.com/ and it seems there will
be nice org client for Android soon (I was not too happy with Mobile).

> 2. Using org-vcard as a library, create org-carddav (which i hope to
> start working on shortly) in order to be able to synchronise contacts
> stored in Org with arbitrary CardDAV servers.
>
> 3. Using org-carddav, set up a way of synchronising my Org-based
> contacts with my smartphone-based contacts.

This mail is composed within Evolution using emacsclient...I'd like to create
org tasks from Gnus, so I wonder what is the status of org-carddav which would
enable to use 'best-combo' - keeping contacts within org and sync them via
phone by using ownCloud?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a strong wind sweeps away a boat on the water,
even one of the roaming senses on which the mind

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2015-01-21 10:24   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-01-21 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> On Sub, 2014-08-02 at 11:12 +1000, Alexis wrote:
>
> However, in order to have smooth syncing of my calendar(s) & contacts I
> switched to Evolution in order to sync with my phone using DAVdroid via my own
> instance of ownCloud.

I use this as well.  I don't know of a good step from owncloud-contancts
to Emacs (BBDB or Org, I don't care).  I found AsynK screwed up my
contacts.

> Few days ago I also found out about http://orgzly.com/ and it seems there will
> be nice org client for Android soon (I was not too happy with Mobile).

First time I hear about this.  But I can't find the source code and I
don't think it has been mentioned on this list before...  Color me
skeptical for know.

>> 2. Using org-vcard as a library, create org-carddav (which i hope to
>> start working on shortly) in order to be able to synchronise contacts
>> stored in Org with arbitrary CardDAV servers.

Cool stuff!

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
With monopolies the cake is a lie!

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2015-01-21 12:07     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2015-01-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 11:24 +0100, Rasmus wrote:

> I use this as well.  I don't know of a good step from owncloud-contancts
> to Emacs (BBDB or Org, I don't care).

How do you feed Gnus with your contact's email addresses when composing email?

> First time I hear about this.  But I can't find the source code and I
> don't think it has been mentioned on this list before...  Color me
> skeptical for know.

It's still closed, but I installed it and it is promising.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good
or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it,

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2015-01-21 12:16       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-01-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 11:24 +0100, Rasmus wrote:
>
>> I use this as well.  I don't know of a good step from owncloud-contancts
>> to Emacs (BBDB or Org, I don't care).
>
> How do you feed Gnus with your contact's email addresses when composing email?

gnus-harvest.el and BBDB v3.

>> First time I hear about this.  But I can't find the source code and I
>> don't think it has been mentioned on this list before...  Color me
>> skeptical for know.
>
> It's still closed, but I installed it and it is promising.

I'll check it if it makes it to F-Droid.

—Rasmus

--
One thing that is clear: it's all down hill from here

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2015-01-21 13:03         ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2015-01-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 13:16 +0100, Rasmus wrote:

> gnus-harvest.el and BBDB v3.

Interesting...thank you.

> I'll check it if it makes it to F-Droid.

I dl-ed it from GooglePlay, but you have to join the group first.

Sincerely,
Gour