* Drawers and visibility cycling
@ 2014-12-29  0:59 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-12-29  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've never been able to get drawers to go through a visibility cycle,
and so have always avoided using them, but now I have a use-case in
which they would be very handy.

Here's my "not working" process:

+ type some sample text.
+ select the region and do `C-c C-x d'
+ I'm queried for the title of the drawer and type "test"

The result looks like this:

:testdrawer:
test content
:END:

However, when I put point on :testdrawer: and hit TAB, it doesn't go
through any kind of cycle---just sits there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
steven arntson

* Re: Drawers and visibility cycling
@ 2014-12-29  1:29 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2014-12-29  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Here's my "not working" process:
>
> + type some sample text.
> + select the region and do `C-c C-x d'
> + I'm queried for the title of the drawer and type "test"
>
> The result looks like this:
>
> :testdrawer:
> test content
> :END:

I've always had to put the drawer title in a line with all the drawer
names like this:

#+DRAWERS: EXPANSION PROPERTIES CLOCK LOGBOOK TESTDRAWER

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Drawers and visibility cycling
@ 2014-12-29  1:47   ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-12-29  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Here's my "not working" process:
>>
>> + type some sample text.
>> + select the region and do `C-c C-x d'
>> + I'm queried for the title of the drawer and type "test"
>>
>> The result looks like this:
>>
>> :testdrawer:
>> test content
>> :END:
>
> I've always had to put the drawer title in a line with all the drawer
> names like this:
>
> #+DRAWERS: EXPANSION PROPERTIES CLOCK LOGBOOK TESTDRAWER

I gave this a try, adding

#+DRAWERS: DATA

and then created a drawer:

:DATA:
test data
:END:

and I still can't get it to do anything when I put point on `DATA'. I
did `C-h k' just to verify that TAB is running `org-cycle', which it is.
I'm perplexed!

* Re: Drawers and visibility cycling
@ 2014-12-29  7:09     ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-12-29  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For the list: Bob wrote me the solution over email:

> Try closing the file and reopening. You have to force a re-read and
>         re-eval. There is another way to do this but I can't recall it
> quickly.

It worked perfectly.

Thank you!
steven

* Re: Drawers and visibility cycling
@ 2014-12-29 12:08       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-29 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

>>> I've always had to put the drawer title in a line with all the drawer
>>> names like this:
>>>
>>> #+DRAWERS: EXPANSION PROPERTIES CLOCK LOGBOOK TESTDRAWER
>>
>> I gave this a try, adding
>>
>> #+DRAWERS: DATA
>>
>> and then created a drawer:
>>
>> :DATA:
>> test data
>> :END:
>>
>> and I still can't get it to do anything when I put point on `DATA'. I
>> did `C-h k' just to verify that TAB is running `org-cycle', which it is.
>> I'm perplexed!
>

> For the list: Bob wrote me the solution over email:
>
>> Try closing the file and reopening. You have to force a re-read and
>>         re-eval. There is another way to do this but I can't recall it
>> quickly.

C-c C-c on any of the header lines at the top of the file! In this case,
in particular, the #+DRAWERS line.