* Small bug? org-narrow-to-subtree and open file link
@ 2015-03-06 15:49 Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-03-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

maybe this is a small bug or something wrong in my config...

But: if I use org-narrow-to-subtree and then use org-return to open a
file link the narrowed function get lost and I get the whole buffer
again. This happens at least if I get a question because the file is too
big and I have to decide whether I want to open it (this by the way
divides the window very unexpectedly...).

I'm using Org-mode version 8.2.10.

Any hint?

Many thanks in advance!

* Re: Small bug? org-narrow-to-subtree and open file link
@ 2015-03-06 16:59 ` James K. Lin
From: James K. Lin @ 2015-03-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> maybe this is a small bug or something wrong in my config...
>
> But: if I use org-narrow-to-subtree and then use org-return to open a
> file link the narrowed function get lost and I get the whole buffer
> again. This happens at least if I get a question because the file is too
> big and I have to decide whether I want to open it (this by the way
> divides the window very unexpectedly...).
>
> I'm using Org-mode version 8.2.10.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

Igor,

org-narrow-to-subtree creates a subtree buffer. Your org-return call within
that new subtree buffer command operates on the base buffer. Many of Org's
link navigation commands operate this way because they use the base buffer
as their context.

* Re: Small bug? org-narrow-to-subtree and open file link
@ 2015-03-06 18:52   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-03-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James K. Lin <james2k2lin@yahoo.com> writes:

> org-narrow-to-subtree creates a subtree buffer. Your org-return call within
> that new subtree buffer command operates on the base buffer. Many of Org's
> link navigation commands operate this way because they use the base buffer
> as their context.

thanks for your answer... I did not know about this... there is also
little to do?

* Re: Small bug? org-narrow-to-subtree and open file link
@ 2015-03-07  0:22     ` James K. Lin
From: James K. Lin @ 2015-03-07  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> James K. Lin <james2k2lin <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > org-narrow-to-subtree creates a subtree buffer. Your org-return call within
> > that new subtree buffer command operates on the base buffer. Many of Org's
> > link navigation commands operate this way because they use the base buffer
> > as their context.
>
> thanks for your answer... I did not know about this... there is also
> little to do?

By default, Org mode does not work well with indirect buffers. You could get
around this by rolling your own version of functions on your own to ignore
the base buffer. This is no small feat because the link navigation commands
are nested.

* Re: Small bug? org-narrow-to-subtree and open file link
@ 2015-03-08  9:34       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-03-08  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James K. Lin <james2k2lin@yahoo.com> writes:

> By default, Org mode does not work well with indirect buffers. You could get
> around this by rolling your own version of functions on your own to ignore
> the base buffer. This is no small feat because the link navigation commands
> are nested.

I understand... thanks for your answer.