* [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-15 17:34 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Consider this example:

|---+---+---|
| a | b | c |
| d | e | f |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
|---+---+---|
| 5 | 7 | 9 |
#+TBLFM: @5=vsum(@II..@III)

Insert a hline after |a|b|c|. The formula is now broken.

Expected behavior: org-table-insert-hline should call
org-table-fix-formulas, though this does not currently support hlines, it
seems.

I have no idea how trivial or hard this is to fix this...  But hints or
fixes are appreciated.

—Rasmus

--
The Kids call him Billy the Saint

* Re: [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-17 19:00 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-17 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Consider this example:
>
> |---+---+---|
> | a | b | c |
> | d | e | f |
> |---+---+---|
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | 5 | 6 |
> |---+---+---|
> | 5 | 7 | 9 |
> #+TBLFM: @5=vsum(@II..@III)
>
> Insert a hline after |a|b|c|. The formula is now broken.

What should happen to the formula if hline is inserted between |1|2|3|
and |4|5|6|?

> Expected behavior: org-table-insert-hline should call
> org-table-fix-formulas, though this does not currently support hlines, it
> seems.
>
> I have no idea how trivial or hard this is to fix this...  But hints or
> fixes are appreciated.

It doesn't seem too hard to fix. I think we just need to extend
`org-table-fix-formulas' to handle "@I" parts and call it from
`org-table-insert-hline'.

Anyway, actual fix depends on the answer to my initial question.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-17 19:06   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Consider this example:
>>
>> |---+---+---|
>> | a | b | c |
>> | d | e | f |
>> |---+---+---|
>> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
>> | 4 | 5 | 6 |
>> |---+---+---|
>> | 5 | 7 | 9 |
>> #+TBLFM: @5=vsum(@II..@III)
>>
>> Insert a hline after |a|b|c|. The formula is now broken.
>
> What should happen to the formula if hline is inserted between |1|2|3|
> and |4|5|6|?

Good question.  I'm not sure.  While not necessarily the most obvious I
think in that case the formula should be unchanged.  But it's not obvious.

>> Expected behavior: org-table-insert-hline should call
>> org-table-fix-formulas, though this does not currently support hlines, it
>> seems.
>>
>> I have no idea how trivial or hard this is to fix this...  But hints or
>> fixes are appreciated.
>
> It doesn't seem too hard to fix. I think we just need to extend
> `org-table-fix-formulas' to handle "@I" parts and call it from
> `org-table-insert-hline'.

I guess something like that.

> Anyway, actual fix depends on the answer to my initial question.

Yeah...

—Rasmus

--
. . . The proofs are technical in nature and provides no real understanding

* Re: [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-18  7:34     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-18  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

>>> Consider this example:
>>>
>>> |---+---+---|
>>> | a | b | c |
>>> | d | e | f |
>>> |---+---+---|
>>> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
>>> | 4 | 5 | 6 |
>>> |---+---+---|
>>> | 5 | 7 | 9 |
>>> #+TBLFM: @5=vsum(@II..@III)

[...]

>> What should happen to the formula if hline is inserted between |1|2|3|
>> and |4|5|6|?
>
> Good question.  I'm not sure.  While not necessarily the most obvious I
> think in that case the formula should be unchanged.  But it's not
> obvious.

Another tricky example

  |  1 |
  |----|
  |  2 |
  |  3 |
  |  4 |
  |----|
  |  5 |
  |----|
  | 14 |
  #+TBLFM: @6=vsum(@I..@III)

What if we insert a hline between |3| and |4|?

I assume it should become "@I..@IIII". Yet, the difference between it
and the case before is subtle, and hard to explain.

That leads me to the next question: should we really mess with this?

* Re: [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-18  9:51       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-18  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> That leads me to the next question: should we really mess with this?

Maybe not.  Perhaps there's a reason for the current implementation.

—Rasmus

--
. . . It begins of course with The Internet.  A Net of Peers

* Re: [bug, org-table] new hline doesn't update formula
@ 2015-05-18 17:31         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-05-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> That leads me to the next question: should we really mess with this?
>
> Maybe not.  Perhaps there's a reason for the current implementation.

Agreed.  However, it seems a good opportunity to alert the user to the
fact that Org didn't touch the table formulas because it doesn't know
what's right or wrong and expects the user to clean up.

Regards,
Achim.