* org-time-stamp, day format
@ 2017-02-06  9:35 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-06  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

When I use org-time-stamp. I obtain:

 <2016-11-15 mar>

mar is short for martes, which is the Spanish word for Tuesday. How can
I can change that format, to any language I desire? I thought it would
be calendar-day-name-array but this seems not to be the case.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
       [not found] <eeadb2e8715b4ff9949f242d630ff7cf@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-02-06 17:15 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <6062d6cba765411e8b95f3ff734cf1de@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-02-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday,  6 Feb 2017 at 09:35, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> When I use org-time-stamp. I obtain:
>
>  <2016-11-15 mar>
>
> mar is short for martes, which is the Spanish word for Tuesday. How can
> I can change that format, to any language I desire? I thought it would
> be calendar-day-name-array but this seems not to be the case.

I think you'll find that these come from the standard time format, using
%a for day of the week.  This will depend on your locale I guess?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.4-242-g2c27b8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
@ 2017-02-06 22:33   ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]   ` <6062d6cba765411e8b95f3ff734cf1de@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-06 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > On Monday,  6 Feb 2017 at 09:35, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > I think you'll find that these come from the standard time format, using
    > %a for day of the week.  This will depend on your locale I guess?
Hm

I am on Ubuntu 14.04 with the tcsh shell
and locale gives me

locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_TIME=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_NAME=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

So I presume it is
LC_TIME=es_ES.UTF-8

No idea that is was set up like this do you know by change
how and where can I change that?

Thanks

Uwe

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
       [not found]   ` <6062d6cba765411e8b95f3ff734cf1de@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-02-07  8:45     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-02-07  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday,  6 Feb 2017 at 22:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> No idea that is was set up like this do you know by change
> how and where can I change that?

No idea really but I suggest you look at update-locale and locale
commands.  Have a look at /etc/default/locale which should contain the
actual defaults created by update-locale.

I only have

#  File generated by update-locale
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"

in my /etc/default/locale file and my environment has no LC_ variables
set, interestingly.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.3-262-g5210de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
@ 2017-02-07 16:04       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-02-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Monday,  6 Feb 2017 at 22:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> No idea that is was set up like this do you know by change
>> how and where can I change that?
>
> No idea really but I suggest you look at update-locale and locale
> commands.  Have a look at /etc/default/locale which should contain the
> actual defaults created by update-locale.
>
> I only have
>
> #  File generated by update-locale
> LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"
>
> in my /etc/default/locale file and my environment has no LC_ variables
> set, interestingly.

If LANG is set, that's enough: all the LC_* default to whatever LANG says,
but you can override them if you set them explicitly.

--
Nick

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
@ 2017-02-09 15:52         ` Sebastien Vauban
       [not found]           ` <62b0cab071584546a6006fdf813e4157@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2017-02-09 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Nick Dokos <ndokos-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga-hclig2XLE9Zaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> On Monday,  6 Feb 2017 at 22:33, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> No idea that is was set up like this do you know by change
>>> how and where can I change that?
>>
>> No idea really but I suggest you look at update-locale and locale
>> commands.  Have a look at /etc/default/locale which should contain the
>> actual defaults created by update-locale.
>>
>> I only have
>>
>> #  File generated by update-locale
>> LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
>> LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"
>>
>> in my /etc/default/locale file and my environment has no LC_ variables
>> set, interestingly.
>
> If LANG is set, that's enough: all the LC_* default to whatever LANG says,
> but you can override them if you set them explicitly.

And if you want to fix this in Emacs only:

  ;; System locale to use for formatting time values.
  (setq system-time-locale "C")         ; Make sure that the weekdays in the
                                        ; time stamps of your Org mode files and
                                        ; in the agenda appear in English.

Best regards,
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
@ 2017-02-11 22:38           ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]           ` <62b0cab071584546a6006fdf813e4157@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

   > And if you want to fix this in Emacs only:

   >   ;; System locale to use for formatting time values.
   >   (setq system-time-locale "C")         ; Make sure that the weekdays in the
   >                                         ; time stamps of your Org mode files and
   >                                         ; in the agenda appear in English.

Aha, thanks that looks helpful, however the documentation for that
variable is nonexistent. How do I know its options and that "C"
corresponds to English?

* Re: org-time-stamp, day format
       [not found]           ` <62b0cab071584546a6006fdf813e4157@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-02-12 14:04             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-02-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday, 11 Feb 2017 at 22:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>    > Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    > And if you want to fix this in Emacs only:
>
>    >   ;; System locale to use for formatting time values.
>    >   (setq system-time-locale "C")         ; Make sure that the weekdays in the
>    >                                         ; time stamps of your Org mode files and
>    >                                         ; in the agenda appear in English.
>
> Aha, thanks that looks helpful, however the documentation for that
> variable is nonexistent. How do I know its options and that "C"
> corresponds to English?

It does not strictly speaking correspond to English but to the "default"
language for each individual application which may, of course, be
English in many if not most cases.

Good examples and further explanations can be found in

  http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87745/what-does-lc-all-c-do#87748

HTH,
eric

--

@ 2017-02-12 17:05               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > On Saturday, 11 Feb 2017 at 22:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > It does not strictly speaking correspond to English but to the "default"
    > language for each individual application which may, of course, be
    > English in many if not most cases.

    > Good examples and further explanations can be found in

    >   http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87745/what-does-lc-all-c-do#87748
thanks,

Meanwhile I found out that I can switch manually in emacs (and not
touching the shell variables) via,

(set-locale-environment "es_ES.UTF-8")
(set-locale-environment "de_DE.UTF-8")
(setq system-time-locale "C")