* Is it possible to "escape" time entries in to-do headings for org-agenda?
@ 2018-04-24 20:41 Rohit Patnaik
From: Rohit Patnaik @ 2018-04-24 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

According to the org-mode manual:

>In the headline of the entry itself, a time(range) may also appear as plain text (like ‘12:45’ or a ‘8:30-1pm’).

Is it possible to "escape" this text so that strings like that are *not* interpreted as times or time ranges? Failing that, is it possible to disable the interpretation of plain text as time ranges? I have entries that have "time-like" strings, (ie. things like 7:16) that should not be interpreted as a timestamp. However, when I display such entries in org-agenda, these entries are displayed with a time prefix, which results in the text appearing garbled.

Thanks,
Rohit Patnaik

* Re: Is it possible to "escape" time entries in to-do headings for org-agenda?
@ 2018-04-24 21:11 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Patnaik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rohit Patnaik <quanticle@quanticle.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> According to the org-mode manual:
>
>>In the headline of the entry itself, a time(range) may also appear as plain text (like ‘12:45’ or a ‘8:30-1pm’).
>
> Is it possible to "escape" this text so that strings like that are
> *not* interpreted as times or time ranges? Failing that, is it
> possible to disable the interpretation of plain text as time ranges?
> I have entries that have "time-like" strings, (ie. things like 7:16)
> that should not be interpreted as a timestamp. However, when I display
> such entries in org-agenda, these entries are displayed with a time
> prefix, which results in the text appearing garbled.

It might be possible with a zero width space near the colons.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Is it possible to "escape" time entries in to-do headings for org-agenda?
@ 2018-04-24 21:14   ` Rohit Patnaik
From: Rohit Patnaik @ 2018-04-24 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I managed to get my question answered on StackExchange [1]. It seems the solution is to turn off org-agenda-search-headline-for-time. Would it be possible to add a footnote to the time of day specification manual page [2] indicating that this is the variable that controls whether org-agenda scans headlines for timestamps in plain text? Right now, unless you already know that that variable exists, you have no idea what to look for in order to turn this feature off.

[1]: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/41203/how-do-i-escape-a-time-in-a-todo-entry-so-that-it-doesnt-show-up-on-the-time <https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/41203/how-do-i-escape-a-time-in-a-todo-entry-so-that-it-doesnt-show-up-on-the-time>
[2]: https://orgmode.org/manual/Time_002dof_002dday-specifications.html#Time_002dof_002dday-specifications <https://orgmode.org/manual/Time_002dof_002dday-specifications.html#Time_002dof_002dday-specifications>

@ 2018-04-24 21:27     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-24 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Patnaik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rohit Patnaik <quanticle@quanticle.net> writes:

> I managed to get my question answered on StackExchange [1]. It seems
> the solution is to turn off org-agenda-search-headline-for-time. Would
> it be possible to add a footnote to the time of day specification
> manual page [2] indicating that this is the variable that controls
> whether org-agenda scans headlines for timestamps in plain text? Right
> now, unless you already know that that variable exists, you have no
> idea what to look for in order to turn this feature off.

Done. Thank you.