* Unable to install from elpa
@ 2021-11-13  5:39 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2021-11-13  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

in a clean emacs-28 install I do:

    M-x package-install <Enter> org<Enter>

I get:

    Possible completions are:
        org-contrib org-edna org-real org-translate orgalist

package-archives has:

    (("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
     ("nongnu" . "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"))

I do list-packages, org is now listed as available in gnu archive, I
install it from there, relaunch emacs (again with -Q), do
(package-initialize) and:

- check org-version: it's still the builtin one.

- check load-path: doesn't include my ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5
directory (although it exists and installing other packages works as
expected)

So many things are not working properly:

1. I'm unable to install org using package-install.

2. I can install it from the package list but then it's not added to load-path.

3. Of course the builtin version gets loaded instead of the elpa one.

All this is in a recent build from emacs-28 with default configure
options (including native compilation).

Best regards,
Carlos

* Re: Unable to install from elpa
@ 2021-11-13  6:11 ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2021-11-13  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This might be because the builtin version is the same as the one in
elpa (although if that's the case the UI is somewhat confusing) but
I'm not sure about that because I don't quite understand the
relationship between builtin versions and stable external releases. I
mean, is builtin org only updated to match external releases or does
it follow a different cadence? Does a strict number version match
between builtin and external implies exactly the same org revision?
And in this case, is it expected that package.el doesn't offer org as
a valid installation target nor prepends org's local path to the
builtin one?

@ 2023-05-25 15:30 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-05-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 13/11/2021 12:39, Carlos Pita wrote:
> in a clean emacs-28 install I do:
>
>      M-x package-install <Enter> org<Enter>
>
> I get:
>
>      Possible completions are:
>          org-contrib org-edna org-real org-translate orgalist

I have realized that the command is specified in the README.org file, so
it is mentioned twice on https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html

However prior to Emacs-29.1 built-in packages are filtered-out from
completion list and ignored by non-interactive command

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=580d8278
2023-04-13 20:13:59 +0200 Allow upgrading built-in packages with
'package-install'

Should `list-packages' recipe be used in the README.org file instead?

* Re: Unable to install from elpa
@ 2023-05-26  8:23   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-26  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have realized that the command is specified in the README.org file, so
> it is mentioned twice on https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html

> However prior to Emacs-29.1 built-in packages are filtered-out from
> completion list and ignored by non-interactive command

> Should `list-packages' recipe be used in the README.org file instead?

The first instance of M-x package-install <RET> org <RET> comes from
ELPA itself. Considering that ELPA is targeting various Emacs versions,
it should probably be corrected there first.

The second instance in README.org may then be altered according to what
ELPA devs do.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Unable to install from elpa
@ 2023-05-29 14:50     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-05-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 26/05/2023 15:23, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> I have realized that the command is specified in the README.org file, so
>> it is mentioned twice on https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html
>
>> However prior to Emacs-29.1 built-in packages are filtered-out from
>> completion list and ignored by non-interactive command
>> Should `list-packages' recipe be used in the README.org file instead?
>
> The first instance of M-x package-install <RET> org <RET> comes from
> ELPA itself. Considering that ELPA is targeting various Emacs versions,
> it should probably be corrected there first.

Generally agree, but I am skeptical concerning changes in ELPA since
only minority of packages are affected.

> The second instance in README.org may then be altered according to what
> ELPA devs do.

Users may open README.org outside of ELPA. "To install a more recent
version..." is is not enough even for coming Emacs-29 since the default
value for `package-install-upgrade-built-in' is nil.

Another pitfall with install instruction in an .org file is that if the
file is opened in Emacs < 29 then package.el generates mixed-versions
.elc files. A precaution is necessary that `list-packages' should be run
in a clean emacs session, not the one with README.org.

* Re: Unable to install from elpa
@ 2023-05-30  8:10       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> The first instance of M-x package-install <RET> org <RET> comes from
>> ELPA itself. Considering that ELPA is targeting various Emacs versions,
>> it should probably be corrected there first.
>
> Generally agree, but I am skeptical concerning changes in ELPA since
> only minority of packages are affected.

All the built-in packages will be affected.

Let's first try to report and see what the reply is.

>> The second instance in README.org may then be altered according to what
>> ELPA devs do.
>
> Users may open README.org outside of ELPA. "To install a more recent
> version..." is is not enough even for coming Emacs-29 since the default
> value for `package-install-upgrade-built-in' is nil.

Sure. But, as I said, let's first ask Emacs devs what will be the best
formulation for alternative instructions. I do not want to invent
something when we can just ask others.

> Another pitfall with install instruction in an .org file is that if the
> file is opened in Emacs < 29 then package.el generates mixed-versions
> .elc files. A precaution is necessary that `list-packages' should be run
> in a clean emacs session, not the one with README.org.

Let's not think about this too much just yet. We are still discussing
ways to improve `org-assert-version'. Maybe extra instructions here are
not necessary.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Unable to install from elpa
@ 2023-12-22 11:26         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-22 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Let's first try to report and see what the reply is.
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63800

This is now semi-fixed on ELPA. Not for Org mode, but for other built-in
packages. Org mode in particular is not (yet). See
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63800#98

I now updated Org's readme file to describe installation via M-x
list-packages.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=11c626b52
Fixed. As much as we can on Org side.

--