* Is column view buggy?
@ 2009-03-04  9:21 Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-03-04  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I don't know if it's just my setup, but I see many problems when using column view (C-c C-x C-c) on org6.23trans+Emacs23(Bazaar), specially with lots of properties in long lines (more than 1 visual line) or folded contents (where the ellipsis ... is visible). For instance:

1. The cursor isn't visible sometimes when it is over a header which has the ellipsis (...) at the end.
2. When I press the up/down arrows, the cursor goes to the upper/lower line, but 1 cell to the right. This happens just for the first up/down movement after a left/right one.
3. Sometimes the cursor is locked in a cell and I can't move it down with the down arrow key (however, up/left/right work).

  These problems seem difficult to debug, since I have many possible causes (color theme, changed colors, fonts, changed ellipsis, maybe wrong configuration, …).
  Should I report these problems in detail or are they already known?

  Thanks
Daniel

* Re: Is column view buggy?
@ 2009-03-05  9:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-05  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Daniel,

On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if it's just my setup, but I see many problems when
> using column view (C-c C-x C-c) on org6.23trans+Emacs23(Bazaar),
> specially with lots of properties in long lines (more than 1 visual
> line) or folded contents (where the ellipsis ... is visible). For
> instance:
>
> 1. The cursor isn't visible sometimes when it is over a header which
> has the ellipsis (...) at the end.

I have never seen this one.

> 2. When I press the up/down arrows, the cursor goes to the upper/
> lower line, but 1 cell to the right. This happens just for the first
> up/down movement after a left/right one.

Yes, this I have seen, and now fixed.

> 3. Sometimes the cursor is locked in a cell and I can't move it down
> with the down arrow key (however, up/left/right work).

I have not seen that either, maybe you can create a reproducible test
case?

> These problems seem difficult to debug, since I have many possible
> causes (color theme, changed colors, fonts, changed ellipsis, maybe
> wrong configuration, …).
> Should I report these problems in detail or are they already known?

Detailed report with test case will make them more likely to be fixed.

- Carsten

* Re: Is column view buggy?
@ 2009-03-09 19:23   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-03-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

El dj, mar 05 2009, Carsten Dominik va escriure:

>> 1. The cursor isn't visible sometimes when it is over a header which has the
>> ellipsis (...) at the end.
>
> I have never seen this one.

  Of course, because it's invisible! :-)
  I think it has to do with the colors for the ellipsis or cursor. But I could not reproduce it today.

>> 2. When I press the up/down arrows, the cursor goes to the upper/
>> lower line, but 1 cell to the right. This happens just for the first up/down
>> movement after a left/right one.
>
> Yes, this I have seen, and now fixed.

  Thanks, it seems to work in the normal case. There are still some strange jumps; see below.

>> 3. Sometimes the cursor is locked in a cell and I can't move it down with the
>> down arrow key (however, up/left/right work).
>
> I have not seen that either, maybe you can create a reproducible test case?

  I can reproduce this bug in column view mode simply using this .emacs

-----------------------
(add-to-list 'load-path "/w/org-mode/lisp") (require 'org-install)
(setq org-startup-truncated nil)
-----------------------

  , Emacs 23.0.91.2, org-mode 6.24a, and this test file:

-----------------------
#+COLUMNS: %10ITEM %3TODO %40name %34title %47comment

* test column view

** TODO one
   :PROPERTIES:
   :name:     ttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttt tttttttt
   :title:    mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm
   :comment:  c cccccccccc c c c cccccccccccc c c cc cccccccc
   :END:

** two
   :PROPERTIES:
   :name:     ggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggg gggggggg
   :title:    zzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz
   :comment:  p pppppppppp p p p pppppppppppp p p pp pppppppp
   :END:
** DONE three
   :PROPERTIES:
   :name:     TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTT
   :title:    MMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMM
   :comment:  C CCCCCCCCCC C C C CCCCCCCCCCCC C C CC CCCCCCCC
   :END:
-----------------------

  You must have lines longer than the window so that they span two visual lines each.

1. Enter column mode in the first heading
2. Press down arrow. It doesn't move

Another:
1. Click in first or second item line
2. Press down arrow until you reach the third item
3. Press up arrow. It can't move up

Another way:
1. Expand the three item with TAB so that you see the :PROPERTIES: line for each
2. Click the middle one in the ggggggggggggg
3. You cannot move down
4. Click the field to the right (zzzzzzzzz)
5. You cannot move neither up nor down with the arrow keys

  This seems only one bug. I suppose that the (next-line) should move by real lines instead of by logical lines.

  Thanks,

Daniel

* Re: Is column view buggy?
@ 2009-03-10 17:52     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 9, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

> (setq org-startup-truncated nil)

Ah, an important piece of information.

I believe this is fixed now.  Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Is column view buggy?
@ 2009-03-16 15:50       ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-03-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

El dt, mar 10 2009, Carsten Dominik va escriure:
> On Mar 9, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Daniel Clemente wrote:
>
>> (setq org-startup-truncated nil)
>
> Ah, an important piece of information.
>
> I believe this is fixed now.  Thanks.

  Thanks. There are still many minor movement bugs in cursor view. I think some of the ones I wanted to report are actually caused by the same strange behaviour:
  When the entry spans two visual lines (like in the last test case I sent in this thread, with org-startup-truncated nil), lateral movement (right/left arrow keys) makes the cursor jump not only to the beginning of each „cell“, but also to a point where it shouldn't be: the first character of the second visual line (which isn't a cell beginning; it could be in the middle of the text contents).
  In fact it's stranger because the cursor stays there for 3 seconds and then returns to the former position. Mmm... even with show-paren-mode disabled.

  This misplacement, even if temporary, causes problems like the following (not reliably reproduceable):
 - sometimes, when entries are folded, the right arrow key can't move the cursor because it is blocked in the first character of the entry's second visual line
 - the down arrow seems to move correctly to the start of the cell below, but the up arrow doesn't always move *to the start* of the cell above, but to the beginning of the second visual line

  Please don't lose much time with these complex and unimportant bugs.

-- Daniel