* Suggestion for demoting collapsed branch
@ 2009-05-04  6:58 Kevin Haddock
From: Kevin Haddock @ 2009-05-04  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When a branch is collapsed (e.g. invisible), demoting the header should demote all the subnodes also.

For example, if I have:

* a
* b
* c
** ca
** cb
** cd
* d

and I have the cursor on * c and hit alt-right it would just demote * c to ** c, but if c is collapsed ('* c...') hitting alt-right on it should demote * c to ** c but when I expand * c, ** ca should now be *** ca, ** cb should be *** cb, etc...

This way I can quickly demote whole sections of the tree by just collapsing them.  I would think this would be the expected behavior.  Perhaps I am missing a mechanism to easily do it.  I am pretty new to org-mode.

Thanks for the otherwise great utility,

-Kevin

-----

Enron staff were given note pads with inspiring quotes, such as this by Martin Luther King Jr:

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter'"

-----

"One World, One Web, One Program" -- Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer" -- Adolf Hitler

-----

Up next: Huge fruitcake tossing contraptions come under attack by vicious protesters.  "We love the fruitcake" one exclaims!

* Re: Suggestion for demoting collapsed branch
@ 2009-05-05 13:36 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Haddock; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kevin Haddock <kevinhaddock@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When a branch is collapsed (e.g. invisible), demoting the header should demote all the subnodes also.
>
> For example, if I have:
>
> * a
> * b
> * c
> ** ca
> ** cb
> ** cd
> * d
>
> and I have the cursor on * c and hit alt-right it would just demote *
> c to ** c, but if c is collapsed ('* c...') hitting alt-right on it
> should demote * c to ** c but when I expand * c, ** ca should now be
> *** ca, ** cb should be *** cb, etc...
>
> This way I can quickly demote whole sections of the tree by just
> collapsing them.  I would think this would be the expected behavior.
> Perhaps I am missing a mechanism to easily do it.  I am pretty new to
> org-mode.

Have you tried M-S-<right> on the heading to be demoted? Or from the Org
menu, Edit Structure/Demote Subtree? Eventually, you get the key combo into
your fingers and then it's quicker than "collapse, demote, uncollapse"
would be, although I admit that your idea has a certain elegance -
the fly in the ointment is how hard it would be to implement and that
I am in no position to evaluate.

> Thanks for the otherwise great utility,

Whatchoo mean "otherwise"? :-) Just kidding :-)

Nick

* Re: Suggestion for demoting collapsed branch
@ 2009-05-05 14:18 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Haddock; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

M-S-RIGHT
M-S-LEFT

I think it's better to behave the same way for collapsed and expanded
trees.

Regards

  Sebastian