* footnotes as [references]?
@ 2009-07-26 18:31 Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2009-07-26 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

we want to have a "traditional" reference section in a software
documentation we are currently writing using org-mode. Org's Footnote
feature is almost perfect for the job, however, I prefer the "[123]"-
type of reference rather than the superscript notation org generates
for HTML-export. Is there a way to change the appearance of footnotes
(still hyperlinked, of course) to the square-bracket version in HTML
output?

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
  Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung

* Re: footnotes as [references]?
@ 2009-07-27  3:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-27  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Vollmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:

> we want to have a "traditional" reference section in a software
> documentation we are currently writing using org-mode. Org's Footnote
> feature is almost perfect for the job, however, I prefer the "[123]"-
> type of reference rather than the superscript notation org generates for
> HTML-export. Is there a way to change the appearance of footnotes
> (still hyperlinked, of course) to the square-bracket version in HTML
> output?

Now there is a new option `org-export-html-footnote-format'.

You can set this to " [%s]" and the references will be in the format
you describe.

Thanks for this idea,

--
 Bastien

* Re: footnotes as [references]?
@ 2009-07-27  7:34   ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2009-07-27  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Bastien,

On 27.07.2009, at 05:35, Bastien wrote:

>> we want to have a "traditional" reference section in a software
>> documentation we are currently writing using org-mode. Org's Footnote
>> feature is almost perfect for the job, however, I prefer the "[123]"-
>> type of reference rather than the superscript notation org
>> generates for
>> HTML-export. Is there a way to change the appearance of footnotes
>> (still hyperlinked, of course) to the square-bracket version in HTML
>> output?
>
> Now there is a new option `org-export-html-footnote-format'.
>
> You can set this to " [%s]" and the references will be in the format
> you describe.
>
> Thanks for this idea,

EXCELLENT, thank you!

Small things:

(1) Using the "fn:" style of footnotes, org generates a "Footnotes:"
section in HTML export. In org-footnote.el I found that I might need
to set
org-footnote-tag-for-non-org-mode-files to change "Footnotes" to
"References" (or some other name), however,
(setq org-footnote-tag-for-non-org-mode-files "References")
does not seem to work for me.

(2) If, with
(setq org-export-html-footnote-format " [%s]")
we now have a "[123]"-style of footnotes (that works great!), the list
of footnotes/references at the end of the document should also have
the square-bracket-notation.

(3) I believe that the square-bracket-style might be of interest to
many users and maybe there should be a #+options-switch to toggle
superscript- and square-bracket-style.

Warm regards,
  Stefan
--

@ 2009-07-27 10:02     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-27 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Vollmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:

> Small things:
>
> (1) Using the "fn:" style of footnotes, org generates a "Footnotes:"
> section in HTML export. In org-footnote.el I found that I might need  to
> set
> org-footnote-tag-for-non-org-mode-files to change "Footnotes" to
> "References" (or some other name), however,
> (setq org-footnote-tag-for-non-org-mode-files "References")
> does not seem to work for me.

I think you're looking for `org-export-language-setup'.

`org-footnote-tag-for-non-org-mode-files' is only useful for non-org
files -- see the docstring.

> (2) If, with
> (setq org-export-html-footnote-format " [%s]")
> we now have a "[123]"-style of footnotes (that works great!), the list
> of footnotes/references at the end of the document should also have  the
> square-bracket-notation.

Fixed, thanks!

> (3) I believe that the square-bracket-style might be of interest to many
> users and maybe there should be a #+options-switch to toggle
> superscript- and square-bracket-style.

Why not, let's see if people would find this useful.

best,

--
 Bastien