From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:20:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to see all my todo items which use the STARTED
> keyword in my main daily agenda view. I do most of my work from the
> daily view and I can't seem to get into the habit of using other
> views. Is this possible?
>
> If there's no way to customize the view directly, is there a way I can
> trigger a scheduled property for today's date when I set the todo
> keyword to STARTED?

I'm a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that you'd like to
customize the agenda view but you don't want a custom agenda view? I'm
not sure how that would work. ;)

Or is it rather that the keybinding C-c a a is "hardwired" -- i.e.,
you'd like a custom agenda view mapped to that keybinding?

Here are two solutions:

1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("a" "Agenda"
	 ((agenda "")
	  (todo "STARTED")))))

2. For minimal customization, you could set the variable
   org-agenda-include-all-todo to t.

In this second scenario, all your active todos will be added to a
section *above* the daily agenda view. Then you can browse your
"STARTED" todos. E.g., if you want to stick with basic emacs tools
(rather than custom agenda commands), you could use "occur" to see all
filter out your STARTED todos.

A more complex option: If you want to be able to filter for your STARTED
todos you could set org-todo-state-tag-triggers to tag each of your
items with a custom tag, e.g., STARTED, whenever you switch to the
STARTED todo state. Then typing / "STARTED" in the agenda view would
show you only your started todos.

Best,
Matt