From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: doc-view-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:19:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

Hi Óscar,

>> If doc-view-mode could provide native support for those file types,
>> it'd be much more realistic to replace standard viewers provided by
>> the os.  Unfortunately the last time I checked which is quite a while
>> ago, it converted those files into images and use Emacs to view them.

This conversion by ghostscript is needed, cause emacs supports PNG
images, but doesn't support some native PDF/PS/DVI rendering.

Joachim Verona currently works on integrating the imagemagick library
with emacs.  When that is done, at least zooming in doc-view won't
trigger a new conversion run.

> Converting the pdf|ps|dvi file to images is exactly what your
> favourite viewer does.  The problem with doc-view-mode is that it
> converts *all* pages on the document to image *files* which are left
> on some place of the hard disk.

I think that's the only practical solution, else you would have to wait
about a scond when switching to the next page.  The doc-view version in
emacs 23 does a pretty good job in hiding the conversion process, for
example by converting from the current page on instead from the first.

Why are many files a problem for you?  With that approach, opening a
document for the second time works instantly.  And by default those
images are stored somewhere in /tmp:

,----[ C-h v doc-view-cache-directory RET ]
| doc-view-cache-directory is a variable defined in `doc-view.el'.
| Its value is "/tmp/docview1000"
|
| Documentation:
| The base directory, where the PNG images will be saved.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

On my system, /tmp is cleaned on startup.  And you can always invoke

,----[ C-h f doc-view-clear-cache RET ]
| doc-view-clear-cache is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `doc-view.el'.
|
| (doc-view-clear-cache)
|
| Delete the whole cache (`doc-view-cache-directory').
`----

to get rid of the images.

Bye,
Tassilo