* Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 11:51 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (23 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-15 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Dear all,

after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

This has not been an easy decision to make.  Org-mode has
been a very important part of my life during these years
and given me as much energy as it has taken.  I am proud of
this creation and extremely grateful for the opportunity
to work with the absolutely outstanding community around
it.  But the day-to-day responsibilities have worn me down,
and I need to step back, move on, and focus on other things.

I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
to take over.  Bastien has been involved with this project
almost from the beginning and I believe he knows more
about both the spirit and the technicalities of Org-mode
than anybody else.  I am sure he will do an excellent job.
There is a core of very knowledgeable and great people who
carry the project together.  I hope very much that everyone
will be helping out Bastien just like you have all helped
me - then this will be a very smooth transition.

As a formal date for the transition we have picked January 1st
2011.  Until then, I will spend time to clean up where I can,
and to document the maintainer tasks in the new README_maintainer
file in the git repo.  On January 1st I will also switch the
"Donate" button on the web page to point to an account owned
by Bastien, to help him offset any costs involved with his
contribution of time and money (like the web server that he
has been sponsoring so far).  If you always wanted to throw
a donation in my direction but have not found the right
moment to do so - this is still possible until the end of
December.

I am not going to disappear from the project.  I will still
be on the mailing list, answering questions when I can, and
contribute code and fixes when I find time to do so.  Maybe,
with the daily tasks taken off my hands, I will even be able
to write bigger chunks of code.  But all of this will be on
a much less regular basis than the daily flush of emails I
am sending out now.

I hope very much that you will all continue to enjoy a life
in plain text :)

With kind regards

- Carsten

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 12:35 ` Russell Adams
                   ` (22 subsequent siblings)
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-11-15 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:51:02PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
>
> *snip*
>
> I hope very much that you will all continue to enjoy a life
> in plain text :)
>
> With kind regards
>
> - Carsten

Carsten,

Your dedication has been incredible, and I often find myself wishing I
were half the programmer you are in order to contribute more. I wholly
respect the amount of time you've invested, and am very grateful for
the great work you've accomplished!

Bastien has some big shoes to fill, and I'm confident we'll be in good
hands.

Thank you for helping us all embark on a life of plain text!

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 12:59 ` Ulf Stegemann
                   ` (21 subsequent siblings)
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2010-11-15 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you, Carsten, thank you, thank you, thank you for creating this
project and putting so much excellent work into it.  Also, thanks to all
Carsten clones; I'm still not convinced there's only one Carsten ;)

And of course a warm welcome to Bastien as new maintainer!

Ulf

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 13:02 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (20 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-11-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
>
> This has not been an easy decision to make.  Org-mode has
> been a very important part of my life during these years
> and given me as much energy as it has taken.  I am proud of
> this creation and extremely grateful for the opportunity
> to work with the absolutely outstanding community around
> it.  But the day-to-day responsibilities have worn me down,
> and I need to step back, move on, and focus on other things.

Hi Carsten,

Thank you _so_ much for starting this project and shepherding it into
what it is today.  This is by far the best Personal Information Manager
I've ever used and it wouldn't have been possible without your constant
devotion to this project.

I completely understand how a project can grow into a monster that
consumes all of your free time and energy (and then some).

All the best in your new endeavours!

Best regards,

Bernt

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 14:17 ` A. Ryan Reynolds
                   ` (19 subsequent siblings)
From: A. Ryan Reynolds @ 2010-11-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Thank you so much for your tireless and dedicated service Carsten.
Without your initiative my life, and the lives of many people I know,
would be a lot messier! Org mode is an invaluable treasure.
--
A. Ryan Reynolds

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 15:26   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2010-11-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

+1.  To say orgmode has changed my life is a tremendous understatement.
It has brought powerful order and sense to a person with a strong case
of ADD and far too many projects.

I tossed some money your way via paypal, but I don't think that can show
my thanks enough.

Thank you, Carsten!

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:51:02PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
>> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>> I hope very much that you will all continue to enjoy a life
>> in plain text :)
>>
>> With kind regards
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Carsten,
>
> Your dedication has been incredible, and I often find myself wishing I
> were half the programmer you are in order to contribute more. I wholly
> respect the amount of time you've invested, and am very grateful for
> the great work you've accomplished!
>
> Bastien has some big shoes to fill, and I'm confident we'll be in good
> hands.
>
> Thank you for helping us all embark on a life of plain text!

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 15:35 ` Nathan Neff
                   ` (18 subsequent siblings)
From: Nathan Neff @ 2010-11-15 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks for your contribution Carsten!

Bastien, congratulations on your new role and good luck.

--Nate

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 16:11 ` Noorul Islam
                   ` (17 subsequent siblings)
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-11-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Thank you Carsten for this wonderful software.

Congratulations to Bastien for the new role.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 18:08 ` Manuel Hermenegildo
                   ` (16 subsequent siblings)
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2010-11-15 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

+1. Thanks so much Carsten for giving us so much. And thanks to
Bastien for picking up the task.  --Manuel

Manuel Hermenegildo                       | Prof., C.S.Dept., T.U. Madrid (UPM)
Director, IMDEA SW Institute & CLIP Group | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-15 18:42   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
>> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

[...]

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thank you _so_ much for starting this project and shepherding it into
> what it is today.  This is by far the best Personal Information Manager
> I've ever used and it wouldn't have been possible without your constant
> devotion to this project.

Yes, Carsten, that you ever so much for such a life changing piece of
software!  The best measure of its success, for me, is that org
is the *only* PIM I have used that not only lasted more than a few
weeks (and I have tried many over the years) but actually expanded to
include *all* of my activities (writing, code development, finances,
emails, ...).

The fact that my /smartphone/ is not what I would call /smart/ because
it doesn't run emacs natively is all down to org!

As you say, long live text based applications!

Enjoy your life away from org.

And all the best to Bastien.  Very good hands to pass the torch onto.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.70.gd95c4)

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 21:10 ` Detlef Steuer
                   ` (15 subsequent siblings)
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-11-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using computers since, well, forever.
I can remember just two moments when I really got completely exited over
some piece of software.

First, some times in the nineties, yes, deep in last century, when I
found out about R, and then again only few years back, about orgmode.

Such a cool piece of code! My first todo manager I used for more than 4
weeks. That says it all.

Thank you very, very much, Carsten!

And of course: The king is dead, long live the king!
All the good luck to you, Bastien!

Detlef

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:51:02 +0100

                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-15 21:50 ` Christian Moe
                   ` (14 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-15 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi, Carsten,

You mean ... there's a life /after/ plain text, too?

I can only join in the chorus of gratitude for the amazingly helpful
Org environment and for your truly outstanding support.

And best of luck to Bastien!

Yours,
Christian

@ 2010-11-15 22:16   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-11-15 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Thanks for everything, Carsten.

Good luck, Bastien.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16  1:26 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-11-16  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Carsten,

> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Thank you so much for the immense goodwill and generosity you have daily
demonstrated in your work on Org-mode and here on this mailing list! I
can't say thanks enough for all the time you've taken to answer our
questions, code our requests, and create such a stupendously useful
piece of software.

> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
> to take over.  Bastien has been involved with this project
> almost from the beginning and I believe he knows more
> about both the spirit and the technicalities of Org-mode
> than anybody else.

Congratulations Bastien!

Best,
Matt

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16  2:08 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-11-16  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 15 2010,Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

[snipped 38 lines]

> I hope very much that you will all continue to enjoy a life
> in plain text :)

Thank you for creating a wonderful piece of software and best of luck
in your future endeavours.

 sivaram

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16  5:07 ` suvayu ali
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-11-16  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi Carsten,

On 15 November 2010 03:51, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Thanks for starting this amazing project. I am a fairly new user, and
I aspire to become a contributor someday. Org-mode never ceases to
amaze me!

> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
> to take over.

Congratulations on taking up this amazingly difficult responsibility,
hopefully this will be very rewarding for you over the years.

happy org-mode user,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16  8:08 ` Stefan Vollmar
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-11-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org list

Dear Carsten,

On 15.11.2010, at 12:51, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

many thanks for all the effort you have put into org-mode, a wonderful piece of software which has become essential for many colleague's professional and private lifes - in a "kingdom of software" this would have earned you a knighthood twice over, secured a place at King Arthur's table and/or the odd statue in your name!

> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
> to take over.  Bastien has been involved with this project
> almost from the beginning and I believe he knows more
> about both the spirit and the technicalities of Org-mode
> than anybody else.  I am sure he will do an excellent job.

Thumbs up for Bastien!

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16  8:20 ` Tassilo Horn
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-11-16  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

thanks a lot for Org and the incredible job you've been doing!  It was a
pleasure to participate in this great community, and I'm sure it'll be a
pleasure with Bastien taking the lead, too.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-16  8:26   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2010-11-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for me to let go
>> and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
>
> Thank you so much for the immense goodwill and generosity you have daily
> demonstrated in your work on Org-mode and here on this mailing list! I can't
> say thanks enough for all the time you've taken to answer our questions,
> code our requests, and create such a stupendously useful piece of software.

I can't say more than what others already said: just a big thanks for your
amazing piece of software, and all the time you devoted to it, coding or
fixing our questions in a matter of minutes (almost as quick as Lucky Luke).

We will miss your endless commitment into it.

>> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing to take over.
>> Bastien has been involved with this project almost from the beginning and I
>> believe he knows more about both the spirit and the technicalities of
>> Org-mode than anybody else.
>
> Congratulations Bastien!

What a huge responsability, to replace the irreplaceable... I wish you the
best, Bastien, in this new role.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16 10:10 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-11-16 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Carsten

Thanks for Orgmode. Get some well deserved sleep :-).

Bastien

I hope, under your maintainership, Orgmode will continue to assimilate
the good things that are in the wild and make it all it's own.

I find Worg much better than Emacswiki.

I am sure you will find more innovative means to take forward Carsten's
legacy while retaining much of the underlying spirit that made Orgmode a
success it is today.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16 12:52 ` Eden Cardim
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Eden Cardim @ 2010-11-16 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    Carsten> Dear all,
    Carsten> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
    Carsten> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Thank you for a stellar piece of software, enjoy your "retirement", you
deserve it. Wish you all the best with your other endeavours. And thank
you Bastien for stepping up, it is quite a responsibility since all of
our lives depend on you now :)

--
Eden Cardim
Software Engineer

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (15 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16 17:07 ` peter.frings
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: peter.frings @ 2010-11-16 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On 15 Nov 2010, at 12:51, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

What can I say that hasn't been said before? Discovering org-mode was indeed one of those Wow! moments, so thank you for bringing it into my life.

Carsten, enjoy the peace this may bring, and to Bastien, well, may I wish you lots of strength ... you'll need it :-)

So long, and thanks for the fish!
Peter.

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-16 18:18 ` Puneeth
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Puneeth @ 2010-11-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Carsten

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
[..]

You have been such an inspiration, in the short time that I have spent
in this community.  Thank you very much! I had no words to thank you
for the wonderful creation, that org-mode is.  So, I hacked up some
pictures for you. [1] ;) Wishing you best!

Life in plain text is truly wonderful!

> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
> to take over.  Bastien has been involved with this project
> almost from the beginning and I believe he knows more
> about both the spirit and the technicalities of Org-mode
> than anybody else.  I am sure he will do an excellent job.

Congratulations Bastien! Looking forward to having some great time,
with you at the helm!

Best,
Puneeth

[1] http://muse-amuse.in/~punchagan/carsten.html

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-16 18:37   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-16 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: Org Mode

On Nov 16, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Puneeth wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
>> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.
> [..]
>
> You have been such an inspiration, in the short time that I have spent
> in this community.  Thank you very much! I had no words to thank you
> for the wonderful creation, that org-mode is.  So, I hacked up some
> pictures for you. [1] ;) Wishing you best!
>
> Life in plain text is truly wonderful!
>
>> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
>> to take over.  Bastien has been involved with this project
>> almost from the beginning and I believe he knows more
>> about both the spirit and the technicalities of Org-mode
>> than anybody else.  I am sure he will do an excellent job.
>
> Congratulations Bastien! Looking forward to having some great time,
> with you at the helm!
>
> Best,
> Puneeth
>
> [1] http://muse-amuse.in/~punchagan/carsten.html

hey, these are fun, thanks, Puneeth.
Bastien looks a lot younger than I do, so this morph looks
definitely like a refresher :D

@ 2010-11-16 18:57     ` Amit Sethi
From: Amit Sethi @ 2010-11-16 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

>> You have been such an inspiration, in the short time that I have spent
>> in this community.  Thank you very much! I had no words to thank you
>> for the wonderful creation, that org-mode is.  So, I hacked up some
>> pictures for you. [1] ;) Wishing you best!
>>
>> Life in plain text is truly wonderful!
>>

>> Puneeth
>>
>> [1] http://muse-amuse.in/~punchagan/carsten.html
>
> hey, these are fun, thanks, Puneeth.
> Bastien looks a lot younger than I do, so this morph looks
> definitely like a refresher :D

Puneeth, is that life of org-mode in plain text :)

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-16 22:16     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-16 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

> Yes, Carsten, that you ever so much for such a life changing piece of

arggh.....      ^^^^ should be "thank"

even org doesn't help me type the right words... ;-)

--
photos: www.flickr.com/photos/ballfresno

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-17  0:45 ` Scott Randby
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Randby @ 2010-11-17  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

When I first started using org-mode, the way I do my work became more
efficient and much easier. Now, if I want to do something new, I first
take a look at the org-mode manual to see if I can use org-mode to do
the new thing. I haven't been able to fit org-mode into everything, but
I haven't given up trying.

Carsten, thank you so much for developing and maintaining org-mode. Not
only is it an utterly great piece of software, but the community around
it is very friendly and open, something which I credit to you. Every
time I've sent a ridiculous question to the mailing list, I've received
a polite and helpful response. On other lists, the response would have
been "RTFM."

Bastien, I think org-mode will be in very fine hands when you take over.
It is clear to me that under your leadership org-mode will continue to
improve for a long time to come.

Scott Randby

                   ` (18 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-17  4:04 ` Nick Dokos
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-17  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Thanks very much, both for org mode - a mind-blowing piece of software -
and for the shepherding you have done to it (and us) during the past few
years. I don't remember how I came upon org mode (back in the 5.something
days), but it was a revelation then and it has continued to be a revelation
(or rather one revelation after another) ever since.

> I hope very much that you will all continue to enjoy a life
> in plain text :)

... and nothing but plain text. Org mode makes its superiority quite
clear, if it wasn't clear enough already.

Thanks, Carsten! Bastien, good luck!

Nick

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (19 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-17  9:20 ` Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-11-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Thanks for everything and "may the text be with you"!
:-)

I've always been impressed by how fast, yet smooth org-mode has
developed in the past two or so years.

> I am very excited that I have found Bastien Guerry willing
> to take over.

Congratualations, Bastien.  While I'm at it, thank you (and all the
contributors) for worg, that was what finally made me chose org-mode.

Achim.

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (20 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-17 14:36 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-11-17 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Dear all,

First of all: *thanks* Carsten for Org!

Moreover thanks for your patience while building this software and this
community over the years.  There is a true spirit of mutual respect and
mutual learning in this list -- we wouldn't have grown so fast and so
far without your constant dedication to such values.

Needless to say I'm thrilled to step up as a maintainer, so thank for
your trust.

I don't have other plans than to keep Org as good as it is and as people
want it to be, both regarding the code and the documentation.

Also thanks everyone for the nice words and the "good luck" :)

PS: As a child, my hero was Bastian from the "The neverending story"...
let's hope Org will be such a neverending story!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-17 16:39   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-11-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> First of all: *thanks* Carsten for Org!
>
> Moreover thanks for your patience while building this software and this
> community over the years.  There is a true spirit of mutual respect and
> mutual learning in this list -- we wouldn't have grown so fast and so
> far without your constant dedication to such values.
>
> Needless to say I'm thrilled to step up as a maintainer, so thank for
> your trust.
>
> I don't have other plans than to keep Org as good as it is and as people
> want it to be, both regarding the code and the documentation.
>
> Also thanks everyone for the nice words and the "good luck" :)
>
> PS: As a child, my hero was Bastian from the "The neverending story"...
> let's hope Org will be such a neverending story!

Hi Bastien,

Congratulations! and *thanks* for stepping up as the new org-mode
maintainer.  I'm sure you'll do a great job as the new maintainer of
this project.

I'm looking forward to using and learning new org-mode-features ...
for the rest of my life :)  Somehow I don't think I'll cover
everything org-mode can do in that time frame but I'll use the best
parts that work for me and ignore the rest -- that seems to work well so
far.

Congrats again!

Best regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-17 17:15   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-11-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Just adding my voice to the chorus -- Carsten, org has made emacs work for
me, finally, and also made my faster, more organized, and better-integrated
with the web. I've been so inspired watching you respond with lightning
speed t othe multitude of feature requests and bug reports o nthe web, I've
wondered how you have time for everything else.  congratulations to you, and
of course to Bastien as well. I'm sure lots of other people feel as I do,
that we'll be trying hard to do what litle we can to make it easier o
nBastien as he steps into this even more active role.

Definitely a moment to pause, reflect, and celebrate the accomplishments of
hte last 7 years!  great work!

Matt

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (21 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-17 23:36 ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-11-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Dear all,
>
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

[snip (52 lines)]

I, as a simple org-mode user, just want to thank you, for all of the
work you've done. It makes mine easier every day. Let me wish you all
the best for the future.

I'd like too to congratz Bastien, good luck in your new involvment.

Org is dead! Long live Org!

Best regards,

--
e20100633@inbox.lv

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-18 11:51   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2010-11-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am a keen user of org-mode, whose uses for which seem never to become well
defined: as soon as I think I understand it, it morphs, or the horizons of
my understanding recede from view.   No amount of praise can adequately pay
tribute to the massively ingenious organic entity that is org-mode.  This
has been the work conceived of a rare intellect with unusually broad and
creative vision, and well executed.  One such as myself, who dabbles
unafraid in the world of minds far better schooled and far more brilliant
than my own, finds the use for such tools as this an expedient, towards his
own purposes, as he tries almost hopelessly to fathom its mysteries--and
Carsten Dominick, seemingly a man of uncommon intellectual clarity and
humanity, the renaissance man, perhaps has from time to time led me both
willingly and patiently through it's brambles and tangles and lighted the
way.  How you have done this remains a humbling mystery.

For both the personal advice and assistance, and the broad vision that has
nurtured this system, I would offer my humble thanks.   I for one felt
relieved that you intend to stay involved.

And to Bastien, who has also on a number of occasions patiently offered his
insights, I also offer a "thank you," and a kind hope for your stewardship
of this project.

Would that I could offer some more substantial to org-mode that mostly a
spectator's praise and appreciation.   Perhaps in time.

Alan Davis

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-18 13:02     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-11-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode is just a cool way to organize, to write, to collect and keep
data.  Many thanks to you, Carsten, for your imagination and hard work, and
to you Bastien, for your willingness to carry this torch further.

Scot

* Re: Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
@ 2010-11-19  6:07     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-11-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
    > I am a keen user of org-mode, whose uses for which seem never to
    > become well defined: as soon as I think I understand it, it
    > morphs, or the horizons of my understanding recede from view. No
    > amount of praise can adequately pay tribute to the massively
    > ingenious organic entity that is org-mode. This has been the work
    > conceived of a rare intellect with unusually broad and creative
    > vision, and well executed. One such as myself, who dabbles
    > unafraid in the world of minds far better schooled and far more
    > brilliant than my own, finds the use for such tools as this an
    > expedient, towards his own purposes, as he tries almost hopelessly
    > to fathom its mysteries--and Carsten Dominick, seemingly a man of
    > uncommon intellectual clarity and humanity, the renaissance man,
    > perhaps has from time to time led me both willingly and patiently
    > through it's brambles and tangles and lighted the way. How you
    > have done this remains a humbling mystery.
    >
    > For both the personal advice and assistance, and the broad vision
    > that has nurtured this system, I would offer my humble thanks. I
    > for one felt relieved that you intend to stay involved.

You expressed pretty much all I wanted to say, Alan.

I tried learning Emacs for over a decade but always dropped it due to
its zillion of commands and crazy key combination. And when I found and
started using Org, courtesy John Wiegley's tutorial (a planner refugee
in 2008) those key chords started sinking into my muscle memory; and Org
became a doorway to a richer and broader Emacs world.

Carsten, you have been an inspiration to me personally with your
extraordinary competence, dedication and human understanding. I wish I
could emulate even a fraction of that.

Org has been a mirror which showed me how truly messy and
procrastinating I was. Sometimes I avoid it for the bitter truth it
tells; but the alternatives are mediocre and mediocrity. So I keep
coming back improving a little every time in this love-hate
relationship.

I couldn't be more thankful for your gift and I am proud to be (a
little) part of this great community you have built.

    > And to Bastien, who has also on a number of occasions patiently
    > offered his insights, I also offer a "thank you," and a kind hope
    > for your stewardship of this project.
    >
    > Would that I could offer some more substantial to org-mode that
    > mostly a spectator's praise and appreciation. Perhaps in time.

Bastien, thanks for creating Worg and stepping up to this large role. I
feel safe having my life management system in your hands.

--
Manish

* Re: Bastien is going to become the maintainer of Org mode in January
                   ` (22 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-20 18:38 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-11-20 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Carsten, hi Bastien

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:51, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> after 7 years of responsibility for Org-mode, it is time for
> me to let go and step down as the maintainer of Org-mode.

Carsten, thank you so much for the tremendous dedication and amount of
work you have given to the community. I am looking forward that you
will still be available for Org-mode.

> I am very excited that I have found  Guerry willing
> to take over.

Bastien, thank you very much for taking over as the new maintainer of
Org-mode, I wish you all the best.

Michael