* [Emacs-orgmode] cannot store link to an info ode?
@ 2011-01-14 21:54 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2011-01-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org mode, T. V. Raman; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Hello,

I am restarting this very old thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2006-05/msg00121.html

see also

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-12/msg01229.html

I realized that `M-x org-store-link' does now work with info nodes, and
that the info nodes links are correctly followed and documented.

The link format is like this:

[[info:org.info:External%20links][some description]]

This format contradicts the assumption made in the URL package,
according to URL documentation the format should have been

[[info:org.info#External%20links][some description]]

i.e. the second colon is a sharp instead.

I am not saying that URL is correct and org wrong, but at least there
should be something done for ensuring compatibility (like asking URL
maintainer to support also Org format, or implementing also the URL
format in org)

I am also wondering why Org did not align on the convention made by
URL which seems to be earlier.

Finally I make again the same suggestion, it would be good to have also
a line pointer, especially as it seems that the latest version of info
also have a line pointer in the index nodes.

VBR,
   Vincent.

* Re: [Emacs-orgmode] cannot store link to an info ode?
@ 2011-02-11 12:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: T. V. Raman, Org mode

Hi Vincent,

Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr> writes:

> This format contradicts the assumption made in the URL package,
> according to URL documentation the format should have been
>
> [[info:org.info#External%20links][some description]]

I've pushed a fix to use this format (with "#") now.

You can still follow info links with the old syntax.

> Finally I make again the same suggestion, it would be good to have also
> a line pointer, especially as it seems that the latest version of info
> also have a line pointer in the index nodes.

Patch welcome!

--
 Bastien