* tags filtering in weekly/daily agenda
@ 2011-08-21 11:57 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-08-21 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the
weekly/daily agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple
blocks, and would like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily
agenda as I do to the TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?

Eric

* Re: tags filtering in weekly/daily agenda
@ 2011-08-21 13:17 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the
> weekly/daily agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple
> blocks, and would like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily
> agenda as I do to the TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?

Hi Eric,

The agenda filtering should be the same for weekly/daily and block
agenda.  I use persistent filtering which keeps the filter when you
select other agenda views and I like this setting a lot.

When I filter my block agenda view (with / TAB sometag RET) it applies
to all of the sections in my block agenda.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: tags filtering in weekly/daily agenda
@ 2011-08-21 14:49   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-08-21 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode

On 21.8.2011, at 15:17, Bernt Hansen wrote:

>> Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the
>> weekly/daily agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple
>> blocks, and would like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily
>> agenda as I do to the TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?

This might be a problem with an older version of Org-mode, but we have no idea
what your version is, Eric.

- Carsten

@ 2011-08-21 16:29   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-21 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bernt and Carsten,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <eric-5ibeKGLO59aIK5dEoMBc7KxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the weekly/daily
>> agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple blocks, and would
>> like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily agenda as I do to the
>> TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?
>
> The agenda filtering should be the same for weekly/daily and block agenda. I
> use persistent filtering which keeps the filter when you select other agenda
> views and I like this setting a lot.
>
> When I filter my block agenda view (with / TAB sometag RET) it applies to
> all of the sections in my block agenda.

Would it be difficult to have more filtering capabilities in the agenda views:
more than on tags? Something like what C-a m does with todo keywords, but
limited on what's currently displayed by the agenda, and which would be as
easily accessible as the ! key binding is.

Another nice addition would be to allow filtering on files, dynamically
selecting one source by filtering on file name, and eventually on subtrees
(something like the refiling path).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: tags filtering in weekly/daily agenda
@ 2011-08-21 17:04     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi Bernt and Carsten,
>
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric-5ibeKGLO59aIK5dEoMBc7KxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the weekly/daily
>>> agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple blocks, and would
>>> like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily agenda as I do to the
>>> TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?
>>
>> The agenda filtering should be the same for weekly/daily and block agenda. I
>> use persistent filtering which keeps the filter when you select other agenda
>> views and I like this setting a lot.
>>
>> When I filter my block agenda view (with / TAB sometag RET) it applies to
>> all of the sections in my block agenda.
>
> Would it be difficult to have more filtering capabilities in the agenda views:
> more than on tags? Something like what C-a m does with todo keywords, but
> limited on what's currently displayed by the agenda, and which would be as
> easily accessible as the ! key binding is.
>
> Another nice addition would be to allow filtering on files, dynamically
> selecting one source by filtering on file name, and eventually on subtrees
> (something like the refiling path).

Hi Seb,

I am just a user here... I'm sure this is possible in elisp but I have
no idea how complicated it would be to implement -- I expect it's
probably non-trivial though.

I use file and subtree restrictions before filtering to limit the
returned agenda results (and improve the search speed)

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: tags filtering in weekly/daily agenda
@ 2011-08-22  1:48     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-08-22  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 21 2011, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 21.8.2011, at 15:17, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> Am I wrong, or is there no way to filter what is shown in the
>>> weekly/daily agenda view? I'm creating custom agendas with multiple
>>> blocks, and would like to apply the same tags/match filter to the daily
>>> agenda as I do to the TODO blocks below it. Can that be done?
>
> This might be a problem with an older version of Org-mode, but we have no idea
> what your version is, Eric.
>
> - Carsten

Ah, sorry -- stupid oversight: Org-mode version 7.7
(release_7.7.160.g3e33). Should be yesterday.

I'm using plain elisp to create custom agenda views (the customize
interface is hard to look at). Here's the simplest thing I started with:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("p" "Personal agenda plus mail"
	 ((agenda "-CATEGORY=\"pr\"")
	  (tags "TODO=\"EMAIL\"-CATEGORY=\"pr\"")))))

The "tags" section filters correctly, but the agenda doesn't. This
probably isn't the correct way to do it, but the examples in the
manual don't show how. Bernt's pointer about dynamic filtering of an
existing agenda view works, of course, but I'm trying to have it start
out filtered.

Thanks!

@ 2011-08-22 11:39       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-22 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Sun, Aug 21 2011, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> This might be a problem with an older version of Org-mode, but we have no idea
>> what your version is, Eric.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Ah, sorry -- stupid oversight: Org-mode version 7.7
> (release_7.7.160.g3e33). Should be yesterday.
>
> I'm using plain elisp to create custom agenda views (the customize
> interface is hard to look at). Here's the simplest thing I started with:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("p" "Personal agenda plus mail"
> 	 ((agenda "-CATEGORY=\"pr\"")
> 	  (tags "TODO=\"EMAIL\"-CATEGORY=\"pr\"")))))
>
> The "tags" section filters correctly, but the agenda doesn't. This
> probably isn't the correct way to do it, but the examples in the
> manual don't show how. Bernt's pointer about dynamic filtering of an
> existing agenda view works, of course, but I'm trying to have it start
> out filtered.

You should be able to achieve this by setting the variable
org-agenda-filter.

-Bernt