* new ikiwiki export plugin for org
@ 2011-12-03  5:23 Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2011-12-03  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've created a new export plugin for org-mode files for the ikiwiki wiki
compiler.  It's in a very preliminary state at
https://github.com/chrismgray/ikiwiki-org-plugin

Just to prove that it is working to some extent, I am currently using it
to generate my blog at http://chrismgray.github.com

When it actually works properly, it will have a few advantages over the
perl plugin originally authored by Manoj Srivastiva.  First, it should
be faster.  The perl plugin starts a new emacs process for every org
file that it encounters.  The new plugin talks to an emacs instance
using emacsclient and xml-rpc.  Having the bulk of the work being done
inside emacs also means that org-mode can expose its internal structure
to the plugin, so getting things like the title and other metadata is
much easier than writing another org-mode parser in perl.

Anyway, I don't know if there are any other users of ikiwiki on this
list, but I hope someone might find it useful.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: new ikiwiki export plugin for org
@ 2011-12-04  4:59 ` tycho garen
From: tycho garen @ 2011-12-04  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:23:11PM -0700, Chris Gray wrote:
> I've created a new export plugin for org-mode files for the ikiwiki wiki
> compiler.  It's in a very preliminary state at
> https://github.com/chrismgray/ikiwiki-org-plugin

Oh very nice.

I saw your questions on the topic in #ikiwiki recently, and I'm very
interested to follow your progress. How are you handling page directives
and other parts of the ikiwiki specific markup in org?

I'm a longtime user of ikiwiki but I'm pretty comfortable with Markdown,
so I typically don't really feel like I need to make my ikiwiki's use
non-markdown formats. In the past when I've tried this, my feeling is
that while ikiwiki *should* be pretty agnostic with regard to markup
language, it isn't really.

Which is to say that ikiwiki creates links between pages by inserting
raw HTML into markdown pages and then hands the page off to the markdown
interpreter. Which is great, but means that the other processors have to
handle inline html in the same way as markdown, or links break. You can
turn off the inter-page linking, but when you do that ikiwiki ends up
doing very little. I've also not found a way to selectively turn the
link processing plugin on or off...

Cheers,
tychoish

--
tycho(ish) @
garen@tychoish.com

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: new ikiwiki export plugin for org
@ 2011-12-04  5:27   ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2011-12-04  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tycho garen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 23:59:51 -0500, tycho garen <garen@tychoish.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:23:11PM -0700, Chris Gray wrote:
> > I've created a new export plugin for org-mode files for the ikiwiki wiki
> > compiler.  It's in a very preliminary state at
> > https://github.com/chrismgray/ikiwiki-org-plugin
>
> Oh very nice.
>
> I saw your questions on the topic in #ikiwiki recently, and I'm very
> interested to follow your progress. How are you handling page directives
> and other parts of the ikiwiki specific markup in org?

Those generally get stripped out before the org files are htmlized.
Also, I am using a mix of markdown and org -- only the posts are in org,
and they don't have any ikiwiki specific markup beyond a tags directive.

> I'm a longtime user of ikiwiki but I'm pretty comfortable with Markdown,
> so I typically don't really feel like I need to make my ikiwiki's use
> non-markdown formats. In the past when I've tried this, my feeling is
> that while ikiwiki *should* be pretty agnostic with regard to markup
> language, it isn't really.
>
> Which is to say that ikiwiki creates links between pages by inserting
> raw HTML into markdown pages and then hands the page off to the markdown
> interpreter. Which is great, but means that the other processors have to
> handle inline html in the same way as markdown, or links break. You can
> turn off the inter-page linking, but when you do that ikiwiki ends up
> doing very little. I've also not found a way to selectively turn the
> link processing plugin on or off...

Right.  My current thinking is that I'll use the scan and linkify hooks
to do the link processing myself, so that raw html isn't inserted.
Basically, the idea is to transform links into org links and let org do
the transformation to html.  We'll see if it works.

Cheers,
Chris