* [OT] The joy of elisp
@ 2011-12-05  6:08 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-12-05  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list!

I decided to finally get my hands dirty and build a small function to
improve my org-based productivity system.

Let me explain:

I have a subdirectory under ~/org which has a bunch of files named after
different subjects. Originally it was supposed to model a wiki, but in
practice, I create a file there whenever I start studying a new (often
complex) subject and that I know I will come back often and edit / improve.
It's indeed like a wiki.

However, I don't keep those files in the agenda. It would slow it down a
lot. To keep the organization as organic as possible, I simply use tags to
bring them together semantically. So, I have other files with items that
are tagged, say, business, and I have a "wiki file" with a headline like
this:

* tags :business:

<contents>

I use the tags headline to tag those files.

Now, what I wanted was to get a list of files related to say, the business
tag. It's quite useful to find myself in the (good) chaos of tagged "wiki
files", I came up with a small elisp function that does just that!

(progn
(shell-command "cd ~/org;  ack \"\\* tags.*(business).*\" --all" "mybuf")
(set-buffer "mybuf")
(beginning-of-buffer)
(ignore-errors
  (while (search-forward-regexp "\\(.*?\\):")
    (replace-match "[[~/org/\\1]]" )
    ))
(org-mode)
)

Bear in mind this is my first elisp program ever. It's not even a function
yet, actually. But it works pretty well for what I want :)

Took me around 1 hour to bring it up.

The joy of breaking your head on something!

Cheers!

(Suggestions on how to improve it welcome!)

Marcelo.