* Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-06-21 11:54 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-21 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

When I try to run a Perl script remotely via ":dir", I get the following
error:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| org-babel-local-file-name: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, using the same remote host I can successfully run both R and
bash scripts.

There was a thread couple of years ago where this function cropped up:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg01712.html

but there seemed to be no real resolution and it occurred with version
7.01trans and a bleeding edge emacs 24.  I am using Org 7.8.11 with
Emacs 23.2.1.

Any ideas?

Loris

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-06-21 13:53 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I try to run a Perl script remotely via ":dir", I get the following
> error:
>
> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | org-babel-local-file-name: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name
> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> However, using the same remote host I can successfully run both R and
> bash scripts.
>
> There was a thread couple of years ago where this function cropped up:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg01712.html
>
> but there seemed to be no real resolution and it occurred with version
> 7.01trans and a bleeding edge emacs 24.  I am using Org 7.8.11 with
> Emacs 23.2.1.
>
> Any ideas?

Try adding

(require 'tramp)

in your .emacs somewhere (probably before you load org but it should
not be too sensitive). Does that solve it?

If so, then it should probably be added to ob.el for a permanent solution.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-06-21 14:51   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I try to run a Perl script remotely via ":dir", I get the following
>> error:
>>
>> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | org-babel-local-file-name: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> However, using the same remote host I can successfully run both R and
>> bash scripts.
>>
>> There was a thread couple of years ago where this function cropped up:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg01712.html
>>
>> but there seemed to be no real resolution and it occurred with version
>> 7.01trans and a bleeding edge emacs 24.  I am using Org 7.8.11 with
>> Emacs 23.2.1.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Try adding
>
> (require 'tramp)
>
> in your .emacs somewhere (probably before you load org but it should
> not be too sensitive). Does that solve it?

No, unfortunately not.  I get the same error.

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-06-21 15:13     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-21 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I try to run a Perl script remotely via ":dir", I get the following
> >> error:
> >>
> >> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> However, using the same remote host I can successfully run both R and
> >> bash scripts.
> >>
> >> There was a thread couple of years ago where this function cropped up:
> >>
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg01712.html
> >>
> >> but there seemed to be no real resolution and it occurred with version
> >> 7.01trans and a bleeding edge emacs 24.  I am using Org 7.8.11 with
> >> Emacs 23.2.1.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> > Try adding
> >
> > (require 'tramp)
> >
> > in your .emacs somewhere (probably before you load org but it should
> > not be too sensitive). Does that solve it?
>
> No, unfortunately not.  I get the same error.

Maybe it has something to do with the declaration in ob.el then (line 43):

(declare-function with-parsed-tramp-file-name "tramp" (filename var &rest body))

with-parsed-tramp-file-name is a macro, not a function. Can you try commenting
out that line in ob.el and checking again? Not sure what mayhem will ensue, but
who knows?

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-06-25  7:05       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-25  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> > Try adding
>> >
>> > (require 'tramp)
>> >
>> > in your .emacs somewhere (probably before you load org but it should
>> > not be too sensitive). Does that solve it?
>>
>> No, unfortunately not.  I get the same error.
>
> Maybe it has something to do with the declaration in ob.el then (line 43):
>
> (declare-function with-parsed-tramp-file-name "tramp" (filename var &rest body))
>
> with-parsed-tramp-file-name is a macro, not a function. Can you try commenting
> out that line in ob.el and checking again? Not sure what mayhem will ensue, but
> who knows?

If I comment the line out and compile, I get the warning:

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| In end of data:
| ob.el:2487:1:Warning: the function `with-parsed-tramp-file-name' is not known
|     to be defined.
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but the remote Perl code now runs fine.

Thanks for the help.

Loris

--

@ 2012-09-18 14:04         ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-18 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> No, unfortunately not.  I get the same error.
>>
>> Maybe it has something to do with the declaration in ob.el then (line 43):
>>
>> (declare-function with-parsed-tramp-file-name "tramp" (filename var &rest body))
>>
>> with-parsed-tramp-file-name is a macro, not a function. Can you try commenting
>> out that line in ob.el and checking again? Not sure what mayhem will ensue, but
>> who knows?
>
> If I comment the line out and compile, I get the warning:
>
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | In end of data:
> | ob.el:2487:1:Warning: the function `with-parsed-tramp-file-name' is not known
> |     to be defined.
> `------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> but the remote Perl code now runs fine.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Loris

I have just updated to emacs 24.2.50.1 and org 7.9-32-g805a9f-elpa and
am having this problem again even with an ECM.  Commenting out the
declaration as suggested above no longer helps.

Any suggestions?

Loris

--
Loris Bennett

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19  7:45           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lorise,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> I have just updated to emacs 24.2.50.1 and org 7.9-32-g805a9f-elpa and
> am having this problem again even with an ECM.  Commenting out the
> declaration as suggested above no longer helps.
>
> Any suggestions?

Can you share the Perl script that is not working, and show the R one
that works?

(The declare-function in ob.el is fine by the way.)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19  9:28             ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-19  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Lorise,
>
> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> I have just updated to emacs 24.2.50.1 and org 7.9-32-g805a9f-elpa and
>> am having this problem again even with an ECM.  Commenting out the
>> declaration as suggested above no longer helps.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Can you share the Perl script that is not working, and show the R one
> that works?

Nothing works now, not even

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :file tmp.txt :dir /xxxxx@xxxxxxx:
echo hostname
#+END_SRC

> (The declare-function in ob.el is fine by the way.)

Loris

--
no sig is good sig

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19  9:59               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Nothing works now, not even
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :file tmp.txt :dir /xxxxx@xxxxxxx:
> echo hostname
> #+END_SRC

Maybe you don't have permission to read the /tmp/ dir
on the remote machine?

Anyway, it's hard to debug with so little information.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19 10:29                 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-19 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Nothing works now, not even
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :file tmp.txt :dir /xxxxx@xxxxxxx:
>> echo hostname
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Maybe you don't have permission to read the /tmp/ dir
> on the remote machine?
>
> Anyway, it's hard to debug with so little information.

In the *Org-Babel Error Output* buffer, I get the following:

/bin/bash: /scpc:xxxxx@xxxxxx:/tmp/sh-script-7472puH: No such file or directory

But the file exists on the remote server:

$ ls -l /tmp/sh-script-7472puH
-rwxr-xr-x 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 15 Sep 19 11:20 /tmp/sh-script-7472puH

And if I execute it on the remote server, I get the expected result:

$ /tmp/sh-script-7472puH
xxxxxx

So it seems that the call to the temporary file fails.  Is the method
/scpc: new?  I don't recall seeing it before (but, then again, it used
to work before, so I never saw an error message ...).

Loris

--
no sig is good sig

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19 13:49                   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-19 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Loris,
> >
> > "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
> >
> >> Nothing works now, not even
> >>
> >> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :file tmp.txt :dir /xxxxx@xxxxxxx:
> >> echo hostname
> >> #+END_SRC
> >
> > Maybe you don't have permission to read the /tmp/ dir
> > on the remote machine?
> >
> > Anyway, it's hard to debug with so little information.
>
> In the *Org-Babel Error Output* buffer, I get the following:
>
> /bin/bash: /scpc:xxxxx@xxxxxx:/tmp/sh-script-7472puH: No such file or directory
>
> But the file exists on the remote server:
>
> $ ls -l /tmp/sh-script-7472puH
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 15 Sep 19 11:20 /tmp/sh-script-7472puH
>
> And if I execute it on the remote server, I get the expected result:
>
> $ /tmp/sh-script-7472puH
> xxxxxx
>
> So it seems that the call to the temporary file fails.  Is the method
> /scpc: new?  I don't recall seeing it before (but, then again, it used
> to work before, so I never saw an error message ...).

I don't think so. The tramp doc says:

,----
| `scpc' -- `ssh' and `scp'
|      Newer versions of `ssh' (for example OpenSSH 4) offer an option
|      `ControlMaster'.  This allows `scp' to reuse an existing `ssh'
|      channel, which increases performance.
|
|      Before you use this method, you should check whether your `ssh'
|      implementation supports this option.  Try from the command line
|
|           ssh localhost -o ControlMaster=yes /bin/true
|
|      If that command succeeds silently, then you can use `scpc'; but if
|      it fails like
|
|           command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: ControlMaster
|
|      then you cannot use it.  Note, that the option `ControlPersist',
|      if it is supported by your `ssh' version, must be set to `no'.
|
|      This method supports the `-p' argument.
`----

But probably the best thing to do is to leave org out of it and try opening
the file directly: it seems to be a tramp problem.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19 18:52                     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> In the *Org-Babel Error Output* buffer, I get the following:
>>
>> /bin/bash: /scpc:xxxxx@xxxxxx:/tmp/sh-script-7472puH: No such file or directory

It would seem that you are trying to use a remote file with a local
bash.  That won't work, especially since bash doesn't understand what
that tramp syntax invoking scpc is about… You need to either invoke that
script on the remote end or copy the file to local and source it there.

> But probably the best thing to do is to leave org out of it and try opening
> the file directly: it seems to be a tramp problem.

Sort of, but it wouldn't exist without Babel if I decode the temporary
filename correctly.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-19 19:51                       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
> > Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >> In the *Org-Babel Error Output* buffer, I get the following:
> >>
> >> /bin/bash: /scpc:xxxxx@xxxxxx:/tmp/sh-script-7472puH: No such file or directory
>
> It would seem that you are trying to use a remote file with a local
> bash.  That won't work, especially since bash doesn't understand what
> that tramp syntax invoking scpc is about… You need to either invoke that
> script on the remote end or copy the file to local and source it there.
>
> > But probably the best thing to do is to leave org out of it and try opening
> > the file directly: it seems to be a tramp problem.
>
> Sort of, but it wouldn't exist without Babel if I decode the temporary
> filename correctly.

Duh - you are right. OTOH, I don't understand how this could ever have
worked.  IIUC, the OP says that he had *something* working, although
revisiting the thread I don't see what that was.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 14:12                         ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos writes:

>> It would seem that you are trying to use a remote file with a local
>> bash.  That won't work, especially since bash doesn't understand what
>> that tramp syntax invoking scpc is about… You need to either invoke that
>> script on the remote end or copy the file to local and source it there.
>>
>> > But probably the best thing to do is to leave org out of it and try opening
>> > the file directly: it seems to be a tramp problem.
>>
>> Sort of, but it wouldn't exist without Babel if I decode the temporary
>> filename correctly.
>>

> Duh - you are right. OTOH, I don't understand how this could ever have
> worked.  IIUC, the OP says that he had *something* working, although
> revisiting the thread I don't see what that was.
>
> Nick

I used to be able do all sorts of stuff with sh, Perl and R.  Now the
following example no longer works:

,---------------------------------------------------
| #+begin_src sh :dir /xxxx@xxxx:/tmp
| echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname` in `pwd`"
| #+end_src
`---------------------------------------------------

I get the following in *Messages*:

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| executing Sh code block...
| Tramp: Encoding region using function `base64-encode-region'...done
| Tramp: Decoding region into remote file /scpc:xxxx@xxxx:/tmp/sh-script-4062nYW...done
| Tramp: Encoding region using function `base64-encode-region'...done
| Tramp: Decoding region into remote file /scpc:xxxx@xxxx:/tmp/sh-script-4062nYW...done
| Babel evaluation exited with code 127
| Code block produced no output.
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and, as mentioned earlier,  the corresponding line in *Org-Babel Error Output*

,--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| bin/bash: /scpc:root@sadmin02:/tmp/sh-script-4062nYW: No such file or directory
`--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this work on other people's systems?  Should it work?

--

@ 2012-09-20 15:11                           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I used to be able do all sorts of stuff with sh, Perl and R.  Now the
> following example no longer works:
>
> ,---------------------------------------------------
> | #+begin_src sh :dir /xxxx@xxxx:/tmp
> | echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname` in `pwd`"
> | #+end_src
> `---------------------------------------------------

Just a heads-up:

I started bisecting with this example and I can verify that
it worked in release_7.8.01 and does not work in release_7.9.

I'll continue to bisect.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 15:30                             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > I used to be able do all sorts of stuff with sh, Perl and R.  Now the
> > following example no longer works:
> >
> > ,---------------------------------------------------
> > | #+begin_src sh :dir /xxxx@xxxx:/tmp
> > | echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname` in `pwd`"
> > | #+end_src
> > `---------------------------------------------------
> >

> Just a heads-up:
>
> I started bisecting with this example and I can verify that
> it worked in release_7.8.01 and does not work in release_7.9.
>
> I'll continue to bisect.

Bisection fingered the following commit, which unfortunately
leaves things pretty murky:

,----
| commit 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87
| Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
| Date:   Sat Mar 17 15:44:41 2012 +0100
|
|     Manually revert to 78ec8e21 (Release 7.8.04)
|
|     Let's take a fresh start.  Sorry Mama.
|
| :040000 040000 163e6eefeae7ce8287a9b95376a182725463b6e4 00f1fc024be6f61d8f7b520be509d46555418adb M	EXPERIMENTAL
| :100644 100644 1753dd8d44eab0fc512284172e8902302959bbab 1022cdc9ff14c9d7f3004c4181507acf9f7414a2 M	Makefile
| :100644 100644 ad822658a8954b7d02b79f2cccd9c9b721b3e889 cf67c9933ccbc13676b6b9ded82bb62c3ab67220 M	README_DIST
| :040000 040000 35c93a0ab0b246483543b14ba3cb218dae9172e1 46f1a162838f9234bf0f34ee202ad88690af8e5e M	contrib
| :040000 040000 e680a29de46430d26ee79a24abd7ec4f6cec28ba c34f8f62ceced35f6519935bbe0404b95a6d5b4d M	doc
| :040000 040000 5989cfb368b5bee95e1fcceb42a88c381d72bdee 012e82d1831a339b52148716cd9a1cad7d3159f9 M	etc
| :040000 040000 7ef0c8f2ecdd18ef48acfc0e13815ac6e8b01d64 d2895eead691b78d01435a0c9ba45c161e462f39 M	lisp
| :040000 040000 99d7331b0f659fe1b1e6323cb5a33c66152e7d67 e2e86614d689cef98523b2d6f6c8f3b1dea5ddff M	testing
`----

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 17:21                               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Loris Bennett, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
> > Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >
> > > I used to be able do all sorts of stuff with sh, Perl and R.  Now the
> > > following example no longer works:
> > >
> > > ,---------------------------------------------------
> > > `---------------------------------------------------
> > >

> > Just a heads-up:
> >
> > I started bisecting with this example and I can verify that
> > it worked in release_7.8.01 and does not work in release_7.9.
> >
> > I'll continue to bisect.
> >

> Bisection fingered the following commit, which unfortunately
> leaves things pretty murky:
>
> ,----
> | commit 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87
> | Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
> | Date:   Sat Mar 17 15:44:41 2012 +0100
> |
> |     Manually revert to 78ec8e21 (Release 7.8.04)
> |
> |     Let's take a fresh start.  Sorry Mama.
> `----

OK. It was working in 7.8.03, broken in 7.8.04, fixed in 7.8.05 and
broken again in 7.8.11 when Bastien reverted to 7.8.04 (I presume to
clean up a mess: I don't remember the details).

From 7.8.03 to 7.8.04, it broke with the following commit:

,----
| 5cb80c7e5b9bcae180b799d2a49c78d529e029f0 is the first bad commit
| commit 5cb80c7e5b9bcae180b799d2a49c78d529e029f0
| Author: Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com>
| Date:   Mon Mar 12 13:23:53 2012 -0400
|
|     apply :shebang and :padline to shell script execution
|
|     * lisp/ob-sh.el (org-babel-execute:sh): Pass all params to subroutine.
|       (org-babel-sh-evaluate): Apply :shebang and :padline to shell script
|       execution.

`----

I haven't chased it all the way down because the reverts are
making my head spin, but it may be that somehow the above commit
got lost somewhere - or it got fixed and then the big revert lost
the fix. Maybe Eric or Bastien remembers what happened.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 17:36                                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> I haven't chased it all the way down because the reverts are
> making my head spin, but it may be that somehow the above commit
> got lost somewhere - or it got fixed and then the big revert lost
> the fix. Maybe Eric or Bastien remembers what happened.

This doesn't make sense (I blame the head-spinning reverts :-) ), so let
me try again: Eric's commit broke it between 7.8.03 and 7.8.04. It got
fixed somehow, either because of a revert or because some fix was
actually applied, I don't know which. It was working until 7.8.10 and
then Bastien's commit reverted to (broken) 7.8.04, so from 7.8.11- on
the breakage exists.

So if there was a fix, we need to find it and reapply. If not, someone
(presumably Eric) will need to take a look and possibly develop a fix.

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 18:29                                   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-09-20 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Loris Bennett, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't chased it all the way down because the reverts are
>> making my head spin, but it may be that somehow the above commit
>> got lost somewhere - or it got fixed and then the big revert lost
>> the fix. Maybe Eric or Bastien remembers what happened.
>>

> This doesn't make sense (I blame the head-spinning reverts :-) ), so let
> me try again: Eric's commit broke it between 7.8.03 and 7.8.04. It got
> fixed somehow, either because of a revert or because some fix was
> actually applied, I don't know which. It was working until 7.8.10 and
> then Bastien's commit reverted to (broken) 7.8.04, so from 7.8.11- on
> the breakage exists.
>
> So if there was a fix, we need to find it and reapply. If not, someone
> (presumably Eric) will need to take a look and possibly develop a fix.

I've spent some time looking at this.

A couple of things are happening.  Back in the time of 7.8.03 and
7.8.04, the org-babel-execute:sh call happened in such a context that
all external function calls would take place on the remote machine if
the :dir header specified a tramp path to a remote machine.  This is
true both before and after my 5cb80c7e5b9bca commit.

However this has changed between then and now, meaning that reverting
the 5cb80c7e5b9bca commit now will not solve this problem.  In the
current branch there is no change of context s.t. external calls made by
the org-babel-execute:* functions happen by default on the remote
machine.  I think this is the real problem.  Perhaps it would be
possible to git bisect with another language like perl?

Sorry I'm not more help here, the remote-execution magic was mainly
implemented by Dan Davison.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 19:18                                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-20 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> This doesn't make sense (I blame the head-spinning reverts :-) ), so let
> me try again: Eric's commit broke it between 7.8.03 and 7.8.04. It got
> fixed somehow, either because of a revert or because some fix was
> actually applied, I don't know which. It was working until 7.8.10 and
> then Bastien's commit reverted to (broken) 7.8.04, so from 7.8.11- on
> the breakage exists.

What are you talking about?  I don't see any revert between 7.8.10 and
7.8.11?  You need to be careful with bisecting acroess fixups, you
should "skip" such commits (also commits that don't build, etc.).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 20:51                                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
> > This doesn't make sense (I blame the head-spinning reverts :-) ), so let
> > me try again: Eric's commit broke it between 7.8.03 and 7.8.04. It got
> > fixed somehow, either because of a revert or because some fix was
> > actually applied, I don't know which. It was working until 7.8.10 and
> > then Bastien's commit reverted to (broken) 7.8.04, so from 7.8.11- on
> > the breakage exists.
>
> What are you talking about?  I don't see any revert between 7.8.10 and
> 7.8.11?  You need to be careful with bisecting acroess fixups, you
> should "skip" such commits (also commits that don't build, etc.).

I may be confused but what I'm talking about is tags on the master
branch: commit 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87 came between the
tags "release_7.8.10" and "release_7.8.11" on the master branch:

$ git log release_7.8.10..release_7.8.11 | grep 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87

@ 2012-09-20 21:00                                       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-20 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos writes:
>> > This doesn't make sense (I blame the head-spinning reverts :-) ), so let
>> > me try again: Eric's commit broke it between 7.8.03 and 7.8.04. It got
>> > fixed somehow, either because of a revert or because some fix was
>> > actually applied, I don't know which. It was working until 7.8.10 and
>> > then Bastien's commit reverted to (broken) 7.8.04, so from 7.8.11- on
>> > the breakage exists.
>>
>> What are you talking about?  I don't see any revert between 7.8.10 and
>> 7.8.11?  You need to be careful with bisecting acroess fixups, you
>> should "skip" such commits (also commits that don't build, etc.).
>>

> I may be confused but what I'm talking about is tags on the master
> branch: commit 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87 came between the
> tags "release_7.8.10" and "release_7.8.11" on the master branch:

That's a trap: the release tag for 7.8.11 is on the wrong side of the
merge and as a result you're pulling in the complete history of commits
that are in one branch, but not the other and that includes the botched
merge before 7.8.04.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-20 22:26                                         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-20 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
> > Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> >> What are you talking about?  I don't see any revert between 7.8.10 and
> >> 7.8.11?  You need to be careful with bisecting acroess fixups, you
> >> should "skip" such commits (also commits that don't build, etc.).
> >>

> > I may be confused but what I'm talking about is tags on the master
> > branch: commit 552b0edb254a104e441e28f3a942dc6005e97f87 came between the
> > tags "release_7.8.10" and "release_7.8.11" on the master branch:
>
> That's a trap: the release tag for 7.8.11 is on the wrong side of the
> merge and as a result you're pulling in the complete history of commits
> that are in one branch, but not the other and that includes the botched
> merge before 7.8.04.

OK. Is there no way to fix that? That's pretty confusing. And how can I tell
that I have fallen into this trap?

Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-21 17:49                                           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-21 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> OK. Is there no way to fix that? That's pretty confusing.

If you already know the tag is on a merge commit on the wrong side:

git tag fixup release_7.8.11
git tag -d release_7.8.11
git tag release_7.8.11 fixup^2
git tag -d fixup

> And how can I tell that I have fallen into this trap?

Probably easiest to see in gitk.  Otherwise,

git --no-pager show release_7.8.11

tells you you are dealing with a merge and what the two parents are.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22  5:05 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-22  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
> > OK. Is there no way to fix that? That's pretty confusing.
>
> If you already know the tag is on a merge commit on the wrong side:
>
> git tag fixup release_7.8.11
> git tag -d release_7.8.11
> git tag release_7.8.11 fixup^2
> git tag -d fixup

Does that have any undesirable consequences? If not, can this be done on
the repo?

I actually did the above in my clone and then fetched tags again which
reset the tag to the previous state, so it seems that once the change is
made in the repo, a `git fetch --tags origin' will fix up local copies.

> > And how can I tell that I have fallen into this trap?
>
> Probably easiest to see in gitk.  Otherwise,

Ah, yes - I keep forgetting about gitk. It's fairly obvious there (now
that you've explained it - I'm not sure I would have been able to see it
even there, if I didn't know what was going on already, but the fact
that the suspect commit does not appear in the range would have been a
big clue - plus the fact that there is only a handful of commits instead of
hundreds of them.)

> git --no-pager show release_7.8.11
>
> tells you you are dealing with a merge and what the two parents are.

OK - again, I don't think I could have figured out what was going on
without your previous explanation.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22  6:41 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-22  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> Does that have any undesirable consequences? If not, can this be done on
> the repo?

It doesn't automatically propagate.  Otherwise, it's Bastiens decision —
I can push the change if he wants to.

> I actually did the above in my clone and then fetched tags again which
> reset the tag to the previous state, so it seems that once the change is
> made in the repo, a `git fetch --tags origin' will fix up local copies.

Yes, you explicitly tell Git to use the tags from the server even if
that moves things in your repo with this.

> OK - again, I don't think I could have figured out what was going on
> without your previous explanation.

Don't worry, you usually don't want to dig down that deep into Git.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22  6:57   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-22  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> It doesn't automatically propagate.  Otherwise, it's Bastiens decision —
> I can push the change if he wants to.

Can you summarize what would be the change and why it is called for?

 Bastien

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22  7:03     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-22  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Can you summarize what would be the change and why it is called for?

The tag release_7.8.11 is affixed to the merge commit, which means that
it's first parent is on the master branch rather than maint.  The change
sets it back one commit so that it correctly is located on the maint
branch.

We'll have to tell users to forcibly update the tags again.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22  8:19       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-22  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> Can you summarize what would be the change and why it is called for?
>
> The tag release_7.8.11 is affixed to the merge commit, which means that
> it's first parent is on the master branch rather than maint.  The change
> sets it back one commit so that it correctly is located on the maint
> branch.

Okay, thanks.

> We'll have to tell users to forcibly update the tags again.

For the users who will not do this, only the release_7.8.11
will not properly set, right?

If so, you can go ahead with the change.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Invalid function: with-parsed-tramp-file-name with Perl
@ 2012-09-22 11:57         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-22 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
>> We'll have to tell users to forcibly update the tags again.
>
> For the users who will not do this, only the release_7.8.11
> will not properly set, right?

Yes.  Another sticky point is that any clones of the orgmode repo (like
the one on repo.or.cz) will not automatically pick that change up as
well.

> If so, you can go ahead with the change.

Done.

@ 2012-09-22 16:14           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>>> We'll have to tell users to forcibly update the tags again.
>>
>> For the users who will not do this, only the release_7.8.11
>> will not properly set, right?
>
> Yes.  Another sticky point is that any clones of the orgmode repo (like
> the one on repo.or.cz) will not automatically pick that change up as
> well.

I contacted the repo.or.cz for this, thanks.

>> If so, you can go ahead with the change.
>
> Done.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien