* navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-01-15 20:50 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2013-01-15 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Has anyone thought about setting up navigation among any old kinds of
blocks, analogous to org-babel-next-src-block?

I've whipped up a dynamic block that displays a file's contents:

#+begin: file :file "/ssh:server.example.com:/small/log/file1.txt"
file1 contents
#+end:

#+begin: file :file "/ssh:anotherserver.example.com:/small/log/file2.txt"
file2 contents
#+end:

I sometimes have a lot of these in an org file and it would be handy
to navigate among them easily.  It seems that block navigation is set
up to work only with *code* blocks.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-08 16:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill White; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I sometimes have a lot of these in an org file and it would be handy
> to navigate among them easily.  It seems that block navigation is set
> up to work only with *code* blocks.

You now have

C-c C-F (`org-next-block')
C-c C-B (`org-previous-block')

for navigating blocks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--
 Bastien

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-08 16:47   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-02-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Bill White <billw-BUE4RdJlFM5BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I sometimes have a lot of these in an org file and it would be handy to
>> navigate among them easily. It seems that block navigation is set up to
>> work only with *code* blocks.
>
> You now have
>
> C-c C-F (`org-next-block')
> C-c C-B (`org-previous-block')
>
> for navigating blocks.

Would we get `F' and `B' as speed commands, for mirroring `C-c C-f' and `C-c
C-b' (down to `f' and `b' as speed commands)?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-08 18:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Would we get `F' and `B' as speed commands, for mirroring `C-c C-f' and `C-c
> C-b' (down to `f' and `b' as speed commands)?

Done, thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-08 19:25   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2013-02-08 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri Feb 08 2013 at 10:11, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> I sometimes have a lot of these in an org file and it would be handy
>> to navigate among them easily.  It seems that block navigation is set
>> up to work only with *code* blocks.
>
> You now have
>
> C-c C-F (`org-next-block')
> C-c C-B (`org-previous-block')
>
> for navigating blocks.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!

And thanks for implementing it.  One small code problem, though - I
think BLOCK-REGEXP should default to org-block-regexp.  Otherwise,
block-regexp isn't defined and the function just goes to the next
org-babel-src-block-regexp

(Sorry, I don't recall offhand how to set that up in elisp.)

And, echoing Sebastien, `F' and `B' as speed commands would be very
handy.

Thanks!

bw
--

@ 2013-02-09  9:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill White; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> And thanks for implementing it.  One small code problem, though - I
> think BLOCK-REGEXP should default to org-block-regexp.  Otherwise,
> block-regexp isn't defined and the function just goes to the next
> org-babel-src-block-regexp

Of course, I just push this change.

> (Sorry, I don't recall offhand how to set that up in elisp.)
>
> And, echoing Sebastien, `F' and `B' as speed commands would be very
> handy.

Done!

--
 Bastien

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-09 19:08     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-02-09 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Of course, I just push this change.
> Done!

Hi, all.

Quickly seeing this exchange, and realizing I do not understand what
"speed commands" are, I decided to search for the expression in the Org
manual, and did not find it.  (This is after a "git pull", done earlier
today.)  Should I seek the concept under some other name?

Within Emacs, `C-c C-f' is bound to org-next-block, while the manual, in
the Motion node, says that `C-c C-f' is bound to org-forward-same-level.
As for `C-c C-F' (really `C-c C-S-f'), it does not seem to be bound and
fall back on `C-c C-f'.

So, I'm a bit lost :-).  Which is not a problem to me, as I was merely
curious.

Franĉois

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-09 20:58       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-02-09 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi François,

François Pinard wrote:
> Bill White <billw-BUE4RdJlFM5BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>>> C-c C-F (`org-next-block')
>>> C-c C-B (`org-previous-block')
>
>> And, echoing Sebastien, `F' and `B' as speed commands would be very
>> handy.
>
> Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Of course, I just push this change.
>> Done!
>
> Hi, all.
>
> Quickly seeing this exchange, and realizing I do not understand what
> "speed commands" are, I decided to search for the expression in the Org
> manual, and did not find it.  (This is after a "git pull", done earlier
> today.)  Should I seek the concept under some other name?

Yes, my bad; I should have said "speed keys". See the following:

;;** 15.3 (info "(org)Speed keys")

Well, you know that since 25 Sep 2012 22:31; I remember an exchange on that
with you: see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/60873.

> Within Emacs, `C-c C-f' is bound to org-next-block, while the manual, in
> the Motion node, says that `C-c C-f' is bound to org-forward-same-level.
> As for `C-c C-F' (really `C-c C-S-f'), it does not seem to be bound and
> fall back on `C-c C-f'.

I'll test, and report.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-09 21:15         ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-02-09 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi François,

"Sebastien Vauban" wrote:
> François Pinard wrote:
>> Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> Bill White <billw-BUE4RdJlFM5BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> C-c C-F (`org-next-block')
>>> C-c C-B (`org-previous-block')

>>> Of course, I just push this change.
>>> Done!
>>
>> Within Emacs, `C-c C-f' is bound to org-next-block, while the manual, in
>> the Motion node, says that `C-c C-f' is bound to org-forward-same-level. As
>> for `C-c C-F' (really `C-c C-S-f'), it does not seem to be bound and fall
>> back on `C-c C-f'.
>
> I'll test, and report.

Indeed...

  ╭──── C-h k C-c C-S-f
  │
  │ C-c C-f (translated from C-c C-S-f) runs the command org-next-block, which is
  │ an interactive Lisp function in `org.el'.
  │
  │ It is bound to C-c C-f.
  │
  │ (org-next-block ARG &optional BACKWARD BLOCK-REGEXP)
  │
  │ Jump to the next block.
  ╰────

and

  ╭──── C-h k C-c C-f
  │
  │ C-c C-f runs the command org-next-block, which is an interactive Lisp function
  │ in `org.el'.
  │
  │ It is bound to C-c C-f.
  │
  │ (org-next-block ARG &optional BACKWARD BLOCK-REGEXP)
  │
  │ Jump to the next block.
  ╰────

So, C-c C-F does work on code blocks, but for a bad reason (C-c C-f, instead).

And, don't know why, but the speed key `F' is not working for me, on a freshly
pulled Org:

Org-mode version 7.9.3e (7.9.3e-965-g16118a @ d:/Users/fni/Public/Repositories/org-mode/lisp/)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-09 23:58         ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-02-09 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> ;;** 15.3 (info "(org)Speed keys")

OK, got it now.  I tried =?= as per the documentation suggests, and
there is a great deal there indeed.

> Well, you know that since 25 Sep 2012 22:31; I remember an exchange on that
> with you: see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/60873.

You surely have a lot of method for (apparently) easily finding this
message!  Yes, I remember this, but did not get at the time that the SPC
at the beginning of a header was not an isolated feature, but part of a
greater scheme.

Thanks for your patience.

François

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-10  7:37           ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-02-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi François,

François Pinard wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> ;;** 15.3 (info "(org)Speed keys")
>
> OK, got it now.  I tried =?= as per the documentation suggests, and
> there is a great deal there indeed.

As well, M-x org-speed-command-help... Hé, that's from here the fact I'm
talking of "speed commands". Maybe we could rename that one to "speed keys"...

>> Well, you know that since 25 Sep 2012 22:31; I remember an exchange on that
>> with you: see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/60873.
>
> You surely have a lot of method for (apparently) easily finding this
> message! Yes, I remember this, but did not get at the time that the SPC at
> the beginning of a header was not an isolated feature, but part of a greater
> scheme.

Just Google with our names, "org-mode" and "speed"...

> Thanks for your patience.

You're very welcome!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: navigating between non-code blocks?
@ 2013-02-11 13:21           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-11 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien and François,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Indeed...

Fixed.

> And, don't know why, but the speed key `F' is not working for me, on a freshly
> pulled Org:

Also fixed, thanks.

--
 Bastien